Fence advice.

Hi. 

Im looking to fence around the outside of our duck pond, this is to stop them wandering up a field / possibly drop down into a burn close by / request off the farmer to reduce damage, we both know they’ll be flying within a few weeks. 

On my order ‘list’

1. A fence post every 3 - 4 meters (ground is reasonably flat and soft) posts will not need to stop stock. 1650 x 65 pointed. 

2. 900 x 50 mesh, single height.  As mentioned this is to keep them in to start with, I know vermin will get over it, at the moment it’s open. Pegged down, not sure to go to 1200 high.

3. length of wire at the top and bottom which of course are stapled to the post.  Not sure if single strand or multi would be best.

Thoughts on my shopping list?

If ur going for much cheapness and land fairly flat u could probably space ur posts out to 5m centres some 2.5 or 3.15 HT plain wire top and bottom like u said, u might even get away with just a top wire? And clip ur net onto the wire

1650 is that a 5 6" post by 21/2" round?? I still work in 'old money' when it comes to timber/fence posts, probably don't need to be as long, prob 4 6" or 5ft be plenty (5 6" is an ackward hieght for melling too unless ur tall), u might even get away with thick tree stakes?

Mibee just 2 longer bigger posts to act as mini strainers lean them back in head and 'stell' a post into them, not that u need it very tight.

Or even mix posts with tree stakes inbetwwen?

If its only for mallard they won't jump or climb so it wont have to be very high, they may dig so mibee an overlap pegged down.

It really wont take much too stop mallard as there generally pretty lazy if plenty of food on the pond

20 hours ago, markm said:

Hi. 

Im looking to fence around the outside of our duck pond, this is to stop them wandering up a field / possibly drop down into a burn close by / request off the farmer to reduce damage, we both know they’ll be flying within a few weeks. 

On my order ‘list’

1. A fence post every 3 - 4 meters (ground is reasonably flat and soft) posts will not need to stop stock. 1650 x 65 pointed. 

2. 900 x 50 mesh, single height.  As mentioned this is to keep them in to start with, I know vermin will get over it, at the moment it’s open. Pegged down, not sure to go to 1200 high.

3. length of wire at the top and bottom which of course are stapled to the post.  Not sure if single strand or multi would be best.

Thoughts on my shopping list?

2.5 centres for post put a brace at each corner if you do it right you dont need a wire top and bottom just staple neting to post would use 75mm round posts