cam belt change

mossy835

I would never run them to 100,000 I don't know the exact time intervals. I have done my 2010 focus at 65,000 they are also meant to be checked at timed intervals

I've always changed the timing belt early with all my cars in the past, wouldn't risk it. I've seen plenty of damaged engines that haven't made the service time.

11 hours ago, HAYBURN said:

I would never run them to 100,000 I don't know the exact time intervals. I have done my 2010 focus at 65,000 they are also meant to be checked at timed intervals

I've always changed the timing belt early with all my cars in the past, wouldn't risk it. I've seen plenty of damaged engines that haven't made the service time.

Very much so, I certainly wouldnt wait 100,000 for the first one , especially if we were talking more than 10 years.
Good rule of thumb is 70,000, and do the water pump (if run by cambelt)  and all tensioners while youre at it.

did my maxus cambelt at xmas on 92,000 ,should of been sooner, pig of a job.

on site the plasters van going bang a week before with belt failure with not much more milage sort of gave me a reality check :)

the Mrs Zafira  was 60,000 in the book so that got done on time.

the shooting bus is an old terrano on chain drive so will prob out live me on 198,000 now and runs sweet.

Edited by Remimax

45 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Ummmm....Am sure you know this, but timing chains do wear and stretch, 'specially on the old rover V8s

Yep take a long time though and rarely break.    Had a mate with a relatively new Volvo had a catastrophy coming up the M40 when his timing belt disintigrated and wrecked the engine.  Very expensive day out in London.

Hence my suggestion to replace early.

Rover engineer once said to me that to not worry till I couldn't hold a conversation on board. Have owned four models, Range Rover Classics and the Landie all in excess of 200 thousand miles

Edited by Walker570

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Ask yourselves how much is a cam belt change going to cost and how much is a new engine/car.  I would be looking at changing every 50 000 if the book said 100 000 just for peace of mind.  Love the rattle of the chain on my old V8 coming up for 200 000:good:

Books says 125k on our fiesta . My mate says it wouldn’t of made 100k 

21 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Ask yourselves how much is a cam belt change going to cost and how much is a new engine/car.  I would be looking at changing every 50 000 if the book said 100 000 just for peace of mind. 

I've always had the family cars done every 50,000