shotgun stock

adi786

Easy fixed, get a wet towel over the stock where the marks are put a hot iron over it and let it steam. May take a few goes to raise the wood, the other scratches will sand out with fine sand paper and stock oil like CCL, Phillips, trade secrets whatever You can get. 

Sand the wood lightly with a few drops of oil, see how it goes. When no more scratches palm some oil into the stock.

43 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

no magic fix for that! Stock needs re finishing. Lots of folk on this forum might help.

Would be great if folk knew where you are though.

Buy a gun sock, seems a nice bit of wood.

Thanks, am based in Basingstoke/Hampshire. The gun is always in sock, but still managed to get t hese 😞

Not much point in fixing the dings as you will just do it again.

Either get a larger cabinet or be more careful.

Once you are more careful it would be worth getting it to someone like Demonwolf444, James does some lovely refurbishment on wood of all types and ages.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Addition of Demonwolf444

25 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Another vote for demonwolf444 - wood like that deserves to be treated by someone who knows what they're doing - post it to James then get a gun sock.

Bruno, he says he uses a gun sock!

I wonder if it is catching on a zip either on the gunslip or his clothing.

I totally agree with Tightchoke and Bruno22rf that Demonwolf would make an amazing job of that already nice stock. But as OF has pointed out, those marks are probably from a cartridge belt or similar, so the cause has to be established first to prevent further marks and then to carry out some remedial work to the stock. 

A gunsock certainly prevents any damage when putting in and taking out of the cabinet, but I've found that more scratches can occur unknowingly when out in the field. 

OB

many thanks all, believe its because of too many guns in cabinet, got 8 gun cabinet, storing couple for friend till his house move is completed. I've always kept it in sock and in far side corner, so it gets least rubbing from other guns when getting them out. I've been using boiled linseed oil, just to rub on stock v little amount. will wait before getting anything done on it, many thanks all for ur input

Only guns I store butt down are synthetic stocked semi automatics, all other guns are barrel down.

Any excess oil from cleaning and re lubing  will run down away from the head of the stock.

Edited by figgy

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Oy guns I store butt down are synthetic stocked semi automatics, all other guns are barrel down.

Any excess oil from cleaning and re lubing  will run down away from the head of the stock.

Fair point, but all of mine are stock upwards and the lesser used ones are in gun-socks for extra protection.