Stock stripping

Cheesefiend

18 minutes ago, chilly1981 said:

Looks good that much better than my quick tart up I did on our lasses 

Thanks - i’m surprised I haven’t built up a smooth finish to the palms of my hands too with all that friction and rubbing

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

bloody well done...are you tempet to get the chequering done ?

No, getting it done professionally is not worth the extra cost to me. I did have a go myself but slipped a few times on the fore end, hence a couple of missing diamonds if you look closely in the picture above. It will still function so I’ll probably leave it once I’ve built up the oil finish.

49 minutes ago, Cheesefiend said:

Thanks - i’m surprised I haven’t built up a smooth finish to the palms of my hands too with all that friction and rubbing

No, getting it done professionally is not worth the extra cost to me. I did have a go myself but slipped a few times on the fore end, hence a couple of missing diamonds if you look closely in the picture above. It will still function so I’ll probably leave it once I’ve built up the oil finish.

You need a proper chequering tool to do the chequering, but they are bloody expensive for a one off job, re-chequering will make the gun feel, handle and look so much better.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

You need a proper chequering tool to do the chequering, but they are bloody expensive for a one off job, re-chequering will make the gun feel, handle and look so much better.

It’s got a 15” LOP, but I’ve got arms like a gibbon so the best thing I can do to improve the handling is probably to lengthen the stock a bit. I’m considering adding an orange Silvers pad but wouldn’t want to attempt it myself in case I make a pig’s ear out of it.

4 hours ago, Cheesefiend said:

It’s got a 15” LOP, but I’ve got arms like a gibbon so the best thing I can do to improve the handling is probably to lengthen the stock a bit. I’m considering adding an orange Silvers pad but wouldn’t want to attempt it myself in case I make a pig’s ear out of it.

Got a belt sander? It's actually not that bad doing a pad, as long as you take it slow. Just take your pad off, draw around the stock onto a piece of paper, and cut that out and pritt stick onto a new pad. Slowly, slowly, sand away new pad. Keep checking for fit. 

I buy the 1inch pads from avalon, no idea the name, but very soft, and the finish is nice. About £13.I have to add as much on as poss as my arms are like a baboons too. 

Just don't use 40 grit in the sander, 120 is a good start 

Edited by strimmer_13

On 01/06/2019 at 20:00, strimmer_13 said:

Got a belt sander? It's actually not that bad doing a pad, as long as you take it slow. Just take your pad off, draw around the stock onto a piece of paper, and cut that out and pritt stick onto a new pad. Slowly, slowly, sand away new pad. Keep checking for fit. 

I buy the 1inch pads from avalon, no idea the name, but very soft, and the finish is nice. About £13.I have to add as much on as poss as my arms are like a baboons too. 

Just don't use 40 grit in the sander, 120 is a good start 

I’ve got an ‘Aldi special’ belt sander which always ends up skewing the belt diagonally and chewing it up, so I wouldn’t trust it even to do a half decent job. Is the sanding doable by hand or would that be a horrific amount of work?

Vanish oxi action,is the stuff to wash stocks,gets all the grime out ends up looking as it did brand new in factory.just add a scoop to a bucket of hot water and scrub with nail brush,rinse and leave wrapped in towel in warm place to dry.

On 03/06/2019 at 11:05, Cheesefiend said:

I’ve got an ‘Aldi special’ belt sander which always ends up skewing the belt diagonally and chewing it up, so I wouldn’t trust it even to do a half decent job. Is the sanding doable by hand or would that be a horrific amount of work?

I have one of those, had the same problem, I put mine in a workmate then just screw the adjuster to the max, start it up then screw it back until the belt starts to run straight, belts tend to run slightly of centre,and need adjusting whilst running to keep straight but it does a good enough job, got a large pack of very cheap various grade belts from the bay and they run straighter with those than the expensive ones

On 04/06/2019 at 19:21, itchy trigger said:

I have one of those, had the same problem, I put mine in a workmate then just screw the adjuster to the max, start it up then screw it back until the belt starts to run straight, belts tend to run slightly of centre,and need adjusting whilst running to keep straight but it does a good enough job, got a large pack of very cheap various grade belts from the bay and they run straighter with those than the expensive ones

Thanks for the info, I’ll give that a try on some scrap wood and see how I get on. 

On 03/06/2019 at 18:03, strimmer_13 said:

Not by hand I'd say, it's the speed to leave a finish which is acceptable. But going against what id say, obviously people were putting pads on before belt sanders could be brought home so there must be a old school way 

I’ve read about using fine wet/dry paper with white spirits but I imagine that would take an age to reduce the size of the pad.