OOPS!

amateur

I was parting off a sleeve-nut that I was making on my old belt-drive Henry Milnes lathe, when I committed the apprentice error of not using a length of rod in the end stock to catch the parted off nut.

So it flew off the lathe and dropped down the belt hole into the darkness below the lathe.

After a bit of cursing and scrabbling around I found it, but also saw that the lathe motor, which should have been securely mounted to the workshop wall with 4 studs via a ply backboard was dangling there, held only by one nut and the drive-belt!

This is all that is left of the board after about 40 years of use (at least 30 years attached to my workshop wall).

The board had been riddled with woodworm and was the consistency of Weetabix.

I shudder to think how bad this could have been if the motor had let go!

lathemotorboard1.jpg

lathemotorboard2.jpg

Never ceases to amaze me as well, when/if I drop something in my workshop and find things I lost 15 ..20 yrs ago lodged up behind benches and in dark spider web covered corners.

Lucky you found that when you did.   If your replacing it then soak it in diesel before putting it back.