Plastic shot cups

For the shot sitting well above the cup it's just like a fiber wad driving the shot down the barrel. 

For shot that sits just proud of the up it drops back into the cup on firing known as setback so it all sits within the cup traveling up the barrel.

8 hours ago, figgy said:

For the shot sitting well above the cup it's just like a fiber wad driving the shot down the barrel. 

For shot that sits just proud of the up it drops back into the cup on firing known as setback so it all sits within the cup traveling up the barrel.

Hi bud , just asking , as the reloading I am doing at the moment has presented me with about 1/4 " of shot proud of the cup , which I would lmagine would not be subject to sufficient set back,, intresting to know what the dynamics of the loose shot against the contained shot,

5 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

For lead shots the ones outside the cup will likely form the outside of the pattern as they will be deformed on contact with the barrell -and subject to turbolence- therefore tends to diverge from the main pattern, whereas the ones in the cup, being protected, will fill the centre of the pattern.

Hi mate,  sounds feasible ,   "could" I suppose leave a "ring gap "in the pattern maybe ? 

With Typical lead ammo its quite common to have the shot cup section of the wad not completely encompassing the lead shot some shot coming into contact with the bore can have some slight deformation due to bore contact, but with typical hardened and often plated shot we get today any deformation due to bore contact will be greatly reduced compared to old soft lead shot . Modern guns with chrome bores all reduce any abrasion in such circumstances.  With steel or other non tox shot that harmful to bores full bucket wads are required and only a very small amount of any shot being proud of the lip of the wad that will be covered under set back pressures during discharge can be accepted, and even then nothing like a half of the pellet just say 1/3 of each pellet visible a few thousands of an inch max .   Any more and you risk contact and if too proud scratches can occur just after the forcing cones more often than not.

With lead or bismuth its best to use maylar wrappers & Buffer and used gas seals and felt wading of plaswads like galandis with tear off shot cup sections replaced with maylar wrappers, this gives you your best chance of protecting shot and can help improve your patter percentages.

17 hours ago, Dogs said:

Hi bud , just asking , as the reloading I am doing at the moment has presented me with about 1/4 " of shot proud of the cup , which I would lmagine would not be subject to sufficient set back,, intresting to know what the dynamics of the loose shot against the contained shot,

Hi mate,  sounds feasible ,   "could" I suppose leave a "ring gap "in the pattern maybe ? 

If the load is balance you should have sufficient cover when using wad with caps. Different story if using a bior wad (gualandi) where all shots are exposed to friction and turbolence, but these wads are designed to provide maximum spread at short distance so, on or over 30 mt you can find gaps in the patterns