Bad day so far

strimmer_13

Numbers are drying up yeovil area. Had a call sunday to sort some out, so took 1554290227557.jpg.5c5776abe7c6b4662b651450bacb5ee6.jpga days holiday and ive been out for 4 hours for a tally of 2 so far. Walked about 80 off the rape,they went north and havent returned. Plus wheres this wind and rain that was promised? 

This is definitely another learning curve. 

Just out of interest do any of you lot let a shot off every now and again? I find its the only thing that gets them moving. Was considering buying a few ropes of bangers and putting them all round the farm

1554290227557.jpg

Edited by strimmer_13

3 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Numbers are drying up yeovil area. Had a call sunday to sort some out, so took 1554290227557.jpg.5c5776abe7c6b4662b651450bacb5ee6.jpga days holiday and ive been out for 4 hours for a tally of 2 so far. Walked about 80 off the rape,they went north and havent returned. Plus wheres this wind and rain that was promised? 

This is definitely another learning curve. 

Just out of interest do any of you lot let a shot off every now and again? I find its the only thing that gets them moving. Was considering buying a few ropes of bangers and putting them all round the farm

1554290227557.jpg

hello, i am not one for letting a cartridge off but it can have some effect if pigeon/blackies are feeding just out of range or in sitty trees , i am sure a PW member was selling bangers at a good price. not seen on lately and could not find on search 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I think the problem is i face with this perm is the location. Im right next to town. These ******* are feeding on the outskirts or in town and trying to get them moving about aint much fun when the rape isnt that appealing atm. 

This photo shows how close i am to yeovil. Id say 300 yards away, i wouldnt do anything above 6 1/2shot here incase of fallout 

1554302201863.jpg

14 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I think the problem is i face with this perm is the location. Im right next to town. These ******* are feeding on the outskirts or in town and trying to get them moving about aint much fun when the rape isnt that appealing atm. 

This photo shows how close i am to yeovil. Id say 300 yards away, i wouldnt do anything above 6 1/2shot here incase of fallout 

1554302201863.jpg

hello, that is a bit of a challenge, does the farmer not have a gas gun, i spy a decoy bottom left, at least you out in the fields despite few pigeons, we have had rain/hail/windy weather and a peep of the sun here, 

22 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, that is a bit of a challenge, does the farmer not have a gas gun, i spy a decoy bottom left, at least you out in the fields despite few pigeons, we have had rain/hail/windy weather and a peep of the sun here, 

Ive just given up. I wasnt ready for the cold, been sleeting a fair bit, icy wind. 12 total. 

No gas gun either. 

1554304808565.jpg

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Ive just given up. I wasnt ready for the cold, been sleeting a fair bit, icy wind. 12 total. 

No gas gun either. 

1554304808565.jpg

Your frustrated…..well I have just got back from sitting on a 60 acre field of spring barley for 5 hours (been sown about 4 days), there must have been close to a thousand birds when I got there, thought I was going to fill the back of the Jeep, I walked them off and the few that came back gave me a total bag of 6, I did better Monday afternoon on some short rape, shot for 3 hours and killed 32…..that’s pigeons for you.

One of my perms is on the edge of town with plenty of pigeons on it and the birds like to drop in as close as they can where its to sensitive to shoot so we put out scare crows and flags right across the field sometimes as many as 12 i have even put out an old rotary whith silver paper on this makes the birds fly a bit further out to me.i use bangers all the time but usually a field away or more i think its hard to get birds to decoy that have just been spooked by a bang. I ask the farmer to get me bangers i pay him cash he gets the vat back.

12 minutes ago, old'un said:

Your frustrated…..well I have just got back from sitting on a 60 acre field of spring barley for 5 hours (been sown about 4 days), there must have been close to a thousand birds when I got there, thought I was going to fill the back of the Jeep, I walked them off and the few that came back gave me a total bag of 6, I did better Monday afternoon on some short rape, shot for 3 hours and killed 32…..that’s pigeons for you.

That was 6 hours total for 13. I picked 1 up on the way back id set out but forgot about. I really shouldnt complain, its nice being out watching nature do its thing, much more relaxing than work. 

17 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

Well done for sticking it out, if i was you i would get the decoys a little higher on sticks geoff garrod style. 

I was thinking that, go up the tip and get some old fishing rods and cut em up. Its nearly to the point (or will be in a few weeks) when i dont really want to shoot, if i cant pick em up as i cant find them, i dont want to do it. I dont like leaving birds. 

22 minutes ago, dad said:

One of my perms is on the edge of town with plenty of pigeons on it and the birds like to drop in as close as they can where its to sensitive to shoot so we put out scare crows and flags right across the field 

Excatly what mine do. I shall use that idea 👍

Now the clocks have gone forward an hour you have got more choice in what time you intend to shoot , unless you have got a lot of pigeons going on to short rape or whatever field you are decoying on it is now a long day by setting up in the morning and finishing late afternoon .

I can understand if you are working all the week and have only got one day to go, you then want to make the most of the time you have got , I now find a whole day is far to long for me and three to four hours is now enough , I personally find at this time of the year is from 12 / 12.30 to 4 / 4 .30 and as the days get longer and warmer is go a little later and finish around tea time .

Most people would have a different choice of timing , so do you prefer mornings or afternoons ??

6 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

I have put more shots in the air than at pigeon in recent months, they are so sparse.

I have often noticed when viewing shooting videos ( I think including yours  😉) that I mostly think "that was a rangey bird" but then see it drop into the decoy pattern.

Seems to me that videos and pictures always seem to extend the range of objects.

26 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Now the clocks have gone forward an hour you have got more choice in what time you intend to shoot , unless you have got a lot of pigeons going on to short rape or whatever field you are decoying on it is now a long day by setting up in the morning and finishing late afternoon .

I can understand if you are working all the week and have only got one day to go, you then want to make the most of the time you have got , I now find a whole day is far to long for me and three to four hours is now enough , I personally find at this time of the year is from 12 / 12.30 to 4 / 4 .30 and as the days get longer and warmer is go a little later and finish around tea time .

Most people would have a different choice of timing , so do you prefer mornings or afternoons ??

Either. I work full time 6 days a week, so im in the routine of getting up early. Ive got to put some hours in lamping soon, so later in the day would kind of be better soon. Id do a full 12 hours but as you said, theres no real point, and i only got there today at 9.30 as i had to wait for the dive shop to open for a recharge and put my son into pre school. Otherwise it would be half hour before sunrise.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

I agree that some pigeons should be on longer sticks.

Will be fixed for next outing 👍

16 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

I have put more shots in the air than at pigeon in recent months, they are so sparse.

Can be like that here. 

20 minutes ago, motty said:

Hard to tell from the picture, but I would have thought you were more than 300 yards from the town.

Each of the 2 is about 150 yards across. I can clearly see people watching me 😐

15 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

I have often noticed when viewing shooting videos ( I think including yours  😉) that I mostly think "that was a rangey bird" but then see it drop into the decoy pattern.

Lol i think motty and pc could shoot twice as far with the wrong shoulder than i do 

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

I'm with you MM, I go out these days from about noon onwards for a few hours due to a combination of domestic committments and stamina (or lack of it) !!

My last session out on some 'hammered' rape looked promising but was cut short when heavy rain stopped play and I ended up with just five. But at least it got me out.

Regards using bangers, I am fortunate that my farmer friend gives me a box to use when needed and I find them quite useful when shooting either a large field or maybe a few smaller fields to keep the birds either back on a flightline or at least on the move.

OB

15 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

i use google earth for distance,just clik tools at the top for drop down box an select ruler,,,easy.

Thats handy as! Well pleased, saves a lot of fannying about 👍

Just measured its 350mtr to those houses, 180 to one behind me but on a bit of a brow/dip so not worried as dont point that way. So all clear tf

One of my other hide postions was 200 away, bit close for sound but i never shot that way

Edited by strimmer_13

20 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Either. I work full time 6 days a week, so im in the routine of getting up early. Ive got to put some hours in lamping soon, so later in the day would kind of be better soon. Id do a full 12 hours but as you said, theres no real point, and i only got there today at 9.30 as i had to wait for the dive shop to open for a recharge and put my son into pre school. Otherwise it would be half hour before sunrise.

Will be fixed for next outing 👍

Can be like that here. 

Each of the 2 is about 150 yards across. I can clearly see people watching me 😐

Lol i think motty and pc could shoot twice as far with the wrong shoulder than i do 

I have underestimated how far it is across some fields. I now have a range finder. Some fields that I thought were 260 ish yards across, have turned out to be more like 330, so more than enough for shot fallout.

I sometimes find the noise level is more of a problem than the fallout of shot if you are shooting near a built up area, more so if the wind is blowing in the direction of the buildings .

You also have to take into account if the nearby houses have any livestock kept outside like horses or dogs that are frightened of bangs .We have got a Clay shoot well away from the village and on a Sunday they are not allowed to start before 10 am which they always abide to , and yet they always get complaints when the wind is blowing towards the village from the people who's dogs are worried about the bangs , might be worth taken that in consideration even though you are safe to shoot .