double glazed window seal repair kits

paul1966

Two of our windows have gone misty due to the seal going, looking online i found a website that repairs the windows by drilling two small holes in the glass and fitting a valve of some sort when the windows have dried out, i have found a ebay site selling the kits but has anyone tried them? its £35 and should repair four windows. i would think the kit is about half the cost of new glass for the two windows i need doing.

It won't cure where the sealed unit broke down in the first place! Will it?

My next door neighbors have had a couple of double gazed units repaired, you can't clean the inside, so the water condensation stains can't be removed....

I bought a new DG unit when mine broke down!

1 minute ago, paul1966 said:

i think the idea is that there is no vacuum and the valves allow air in and out so stops the mist build up, any way i think i will replace with new windows anyway.

Surely if there is no vacuum, the window is far less efficient!

Good idea to change the "blown" ones.

52 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

The wife got our windows fixed instead of replaced , they replaced 2 units that the seals where goosed  and did the seals in the rest £1200 , instead of £5000 to replace them all 

Do you mean they "did" (as in repaired) the sealed double glazed units?.........Or did they replace two "broken down" double glazed units and replace the rubber window seals that fit between the glass and the frame in the rest of the house for £1500?

sealed units overall measures in thickness are 4  ?  4  the overall thickness is important  when ordering replacements     the repair kits I don't know     modern day dg are argon filled most dg failures is down to an external weight load on the glass by insufficient packers/ spacers  and the upvc frames carrying the weight that timber frames did        also in direct sunlight / heat for most of the day cold at  night   (temperature extremities) leads to  failure       instead of buying glass drilling kits as a repair      remove the sealed unit and drill holes into the bitumen spacer to get air circulation / drainage  will give the same effect    but without the thermal value   only a bit of time involved minimal cost   or new sealed units 

7 hours ago, Saltings said:

sealed units overall measures in thickness are 4  ?  4  the overall thickness is important  when ordering replacements     the repair kits I don't know     modern day dg are argon filled most dg failures is down to an external weight load on the glass by insufficient packers/ spacers  and the upvc frames carrying the weight that timber frames did        also in direct sunlight / heat for most of the day cold at  night   (temperature extremities) leads to  failure       instead of buying glass drilling kits as a repair      remove the sealed unit and drill holes into the bitumen spacer to get air circulation / drainage  will give the same effect    but without the thermal value   only a bit of time involved minimal cost   or new sealed units 

Our units are 4/.../6.4 a fair bit. People are opting for a skin of tough and skin of laminate. Covering the breaking in side. 

We use argon and krypton gas sometimes but boy that’s expensive . 

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

Surely that would be any south facing argon filled DG window or door? 

I am sure the op meant would fail over time, we have been in our house 14 years and the windows were fairly new then. So far we have had to replace one large window, south facing funnily enough and now have two smaller windows gone so i am sure over the next few years we will be replacing a few more.

15 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Do you mean they "did" (as in repaired) the sealed double glazed units?.........Or did they replace two "broken down" double glazed units and replace the rubber window seals that fit between the glass and the frame in the rest of the house for £1500?

The living room and upstairs bedroom windows glass was replaced  there 12 foot long maybe 4 foot high all the rest where taken out seals replaced and re installed  another 12 windows  all the house apart from the porch i built that 5 years ago and those windows are still fine . When i bought this house the guy was proud to tell me he had the windows built to his speck they weren't worth a damn  i've blackout blinds  in the bedroom as i do night shifts and the wind used to rattle those about on a windy day no longer and its cheaper to heat the house now . Really pleased with the result boys started at 8 am and by 6 pm they had cleaned up and ready to go and far cheaper than replacing all the windows with new double glazing 

Well, having spoken to a man in the know, he says that 12mm and below would be filled with argon, and above that krypton.

None of the repair systems he has seen ever work and ultimately require replacement.

Apparently one firm some years ago, drilled in to existing "blown" windows, injected a liquid and then drew it out in order to clear up the water marks. Then they sealed the holes. He is not aware of this practice still being used.

45 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well, having spoken to a man in the know, he says that 12mm and below would be filled with argon, and above that krypton.

None of the repair systems he has seen ever work and ultimately require replacement.

Apparently one firm some years ago, drilled in to existing "blown" windows, injected a liquid and then drew it out in order to clear up the water marks. Then they sealed the holes. He is not aware of this practice still being used.

Krypton is used in slim line units to meet regs 👍 4/4/4 in our case for heritage work :)