Do mongrels exist anymore?

spandit

I'm not that old but I'm sure that when a dog produced puppies that were of mixed breed they were known as mongrels and folk would be only too glad to get rid of them. Now they all seem to be fashionable cross-breeds with portmanteau names and accordingly high prices. My mother in law bought a mongrel filthy half-breed cockerpoo (it's what used to make the Pulp tour bus pull over... ;)) - anyone care to guess how much she paid for him?

daughter just paid £750 for cockerpoo.. friend of outs breeds springers.. springer x springer =£500 aprox.. he put springer to a poodle, springer x poodle £800 and didnt have enough pups re advert..., no kc reg etc

Edited by peejay

I have a sprocker, who is called Muddy, but I call her "mudblood", because she's a filthy half breed. Actual pedigree is "amphibious stinkhound"

20190404_114624.jpg.f3874b7add05319882b1894ddbc56983.jpg

Just now, welsh1 said:

£1500, i have to ask why?

Why is it ridiculous or why did she pay it? My mother-in-law, who lives with us (and they let me keep guns in the house...) recently had a windfall when someone left her a house in their will. If she wants something, she just buys it, whether or not it is suitable/value for money. She doesn't have the patience to research or wait for anything.

21 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

The dogs that you have described are crossbreeds not mongrels.....

mongrel
/ˈmʌŋɡr(ə)l/
noun
  1. a dog of no definable type or breed.
    "she's a particularly intelligent mongrel with a lot of collie in her"
    synonyms: cross-bred, mixed-breed, half-breed, hybrid
    "a mongrel bitch"
    • any animal resulting from the crossing of different breeds or types.
      synonyms: cross-breed, cross, mixed breed, half-breed, hybrid;

I used to have strong feelings against this but surely like anything are they not worth what somebody is willing to pay for them 🤷‍♀️

If a cockerpoo or what have you is worth £1500 to the person who buys them then leave them to it I guess 🤔

Does rankle a bit when I sell my beautifully bred health tested springers with hours spent poring over pedigrees for £450 or thereabouts when these ‘breeders’ just chuck two dogs together but then again I’ve never bred to make money. The worthwhile part of it to me is to see the pups doing great and happy in their new homes.

If I ‘make’ a bit of money to cover time worrying and whelping the bitch, a day off work, docking and dew clawing, microchipping, looking after, worming, defleaing and playing with the aforementioned pups (not to mention hours upon hours cleaning up poo) I reckon it works out at about 75p an hour 😂😂😂 And that’s if all goes well!

Edited by bigbird

The definition of crossbreed.  Produce an animal or plant by hybridising or mating two different breeds, species or varieties. So I'd prefer to call them crossbreeds because generally the matings are planned, as an added bonus crossbreeds also benefit from hybrid vigour. If it makes people feel somehow superior because they own a "pedigree" dog my advice to them is crack on.

Well I say bol*ocks to those designer breeders. I am the very proud owner of an out and out mongrel no ifs no buts. A local farmers Huntaway New Zealand Sheepdog got lucky with a local Black Labrador bitch. I paid £200 for a pup. So far Celt (our dog) is a cracking and loving pet, and does seem to be in with a very good chance of being a gundog, he's not gun shy, goes into cover and retrieves a feathered dummy to hand he's 15 months old. Over the next few weeks we're doing some pigeon roost shooting, Come September we're out on the marsh together.

I will say this though, I reckon Huntardor or Labaway is a far cooler name for a mongrel designer cross breed than cockerpoo!!

Anyway to answer the initial question yes it still possible to find mongrels, I know I've got one.....So There:good:

Cheers

Aled