Choosing the right type of Decoy

I have just started Pigeon Shooting at a Friends Farm,but try as I might ,I just can’t get close enough with my Air Rifle to get a clean shot.

This is mainly because the Fields are very open with little cover and they can see me from a long way off.I am thinking of using a Hide and Decoys to bring them within range,but would like info on which Decoy is best,Painted or Flocked,and how many should I get?

Any help would be welcomed.

Edited by silverwolf54
Spelling

hello, this would be my thoughts,  with little or no cover your need 4 hide poles, 2 off 8 ft or 10 ft to overlap  x 4 ft high  camo nets, make a  4ft x 4 ft hide with front a bit lower towards where pigeons feeding to get a rifle shot, start with 6 shells 4 whole body, i liked flocked but its your preference, and 2 pole bouncers with decoys, i use proflaps on mine , and a comfy seat, if you can shoot a few with ground decoys first then use on the bouncer to save buying specials, if your using a sub 12 ft llb air rifle put decoys out 100/150ft or your ideal distance, as for where to buy its your choice, good luck, ps :welcomeani:to PW

I personally dont try and hide shoot pigeons with rifle (over a crop field ) until the crops have been cut and your over stubbles, when the birds are keen, but more importantly if you space the deeks a few  meters apart, when the bird lands it doesnt realise its surounded by a load of plastic fakes. As the subbles hide the deeks a bit ..

If your over drillings try putting them at least 4 meters apart over a large area.

And keep them down low .

Be ready to shoot as soon as the birds feet touch down 

Edited by Ultrastu

You would really be up against it to wait for the pigeons to land so you can attempt to shoot them with a air rifle , decoys are mainly used to bring a pigeon in range for a shotgun , yes you do get the odd one land amongst the decoys but it is normally just the odd one .

As already mentioned , your best bet is to look around the margins for a sitty tree , possibly a dead Ash tree , you could try to loft a few full body decoys and build a good hide in range of the tree , with all the vegetation beginning to grow this shouldn't be to difficult to be well concealed .

On 04/04/2019 at 16:52, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, this would be my thoughts,  with little or no cover your need 4 hide poles, 2 off 8 ft or 10 ft to overlap  x 4 ft high  camo nets, make a  4ft x 4 ft hide with front a bit lower towards where pigeons feeding to get a rifle shot, start with 6 shells 4 whole body, i liked flocked but its your preference, and 2 pole bouncers with decoys, i use proflaps on mine , and a comfy seat, if you can shoot a few with ground decoys first then use on the bouncer to save buying specials, if your using a sub 12 ft llb air rifle put decoys out 100/150ft or your ideal distance, as for where to buy its your choice, good luck, ps :welcomeani:to PW

Thank you Everyone for your practical help and advice ,much appreciated.😄👍

• 1 month later...