Refused 243 variation

As above I’ve put in for a variation on my firearms for which I currently  have an open 1.7hmr and 22 for the past 8 years. I’ve gone for a 243 but it’s been refused as they don’t have time to come and check my land as there to busy and told me I should reapply in September when there hopefully quieter.a friend has a 223 passed on my land for wich I had to give him written permission and show and officer round 2-3 years ago but apparently  they have no record off that .Is this valid reason to decline it all thoughts and help welcome 

They make the rules to suit themselves so yes unless you have unlimited funds to appeal or can persuade BASC or similar to support you.  We have money to fund Foreign Aid at 15 Billion a year and want to give the EU 39 Billion for absolutely nothing but we can't fund our own Police Force.  This Government makes me absolutely sick.

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Then ask them to put it in writing so you can take legal advice; that should get their attention. 

^^^^^^^ This. I would be so mad when they dicked me about for land approvals I put in a formal complaint and boy did that change the attitude. 

You have to wonder who they work for. 

Notts have really bad staffing problems at the moment, I've been told if my renewal isn't in with at least 8 weeks to spare, to organise where my guns are going to live. 

If anyone fancies being an FEO they have 2 positions being advertised. 

6 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

I thought land was rated the first time it was visited by FLO upto a certain caliber so no need to visit again

:lol: Some forces say they do this others only for the requested calibre. In my case when calibre changed those that said they had done it changed their tune. Either way it'sjust a joke meaningless system about ticking the boxes, covering backsides and muddying the waters if ever there was an issue. Whole thing shoud be scrapped. 

Their staffing issues should not stop you having your variation looked at. The time it takes to do would be longer. It's hard on the current staff being overloaded but refusing on staff levels is ridiculous.

Ring them back and and ask for the grant to be issued never mind them clearing land. After shooting rifles for 8 years if you don't know where on your land is safe to shoot. If you didnt you shouldn't have any rifle on there. Trying it on is my guess. When landowners want deer shooting it could lose you your perm.

Edited by figgy

9 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Notts have really bad staffing problems at the moment, I've been told if my renewal isn't in with at least 8 weeks to spare, to organise where my guns are going to live. 

If anyone fancies being an FEO they have 2 positions being advertised. 

Can I work from home?

11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Can I work from home?

Other people’s homes, just watch the blood sugar levels, all those posh biscuits! J

To the OP, time to get hold of the firearms licencing mob at BASC.

When I emailed them prior to my SGC application (hadn’t been registered with a GP for many years), they were quick and competent, told me what form of words to put on my application etc.  SGC came through without an issue.

What I’m saying is, they will have better oversight of the process in Notts than a few randoms on the internet, and should be able to help you put together a properly worded email that will, politely, tell them to reconsider and just do their job, without  necessarily ‘lawyering up’.

And, as ever with the authorities, be they police, HMRC, council etc.  Avoid phone calls where at all possible.  All communication should be in writing.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the office conversations went something like, "We'll ask them to defer their applications for six months. They're subjects and used to getting messed about so many will knuckle under. We'll just have to process the ones that have a strop and hope for the best.

Amongst everything else, a letter to the PCC asking if their action meets with his/her approval.