Beretta 692 Warranty ?

C9smw

Hi, I got into clay shooting 7 years ago when I was taken on a corporate day to Hodnet. I was hooked straight away and within weeks I bought my first gun, an old Beretta 682. I then moved onto a brand new Beretta Silver Pigeon which I only kept for a couple of years, then I changed that for a brand new Browning 725. 

4 weeks ago I part exchanged the Browning for a brand new Beretta 692 with adjustable comb. I’ve only shot with it 3 times and love it, even after only 300 cartridges it feels “right”. 

When I purchased the gun there was a tiny mark on the bottom barrel, it didn’t bother me to much as you really had to search for it under a bright lights and I thought it was nothing major. I clean my gun after each outing and I’ve found that each time I’ve cleaned the gun the mark has got bigger and bigger, to a point where I now feel I need to do something about it. 

Are there known problems with Beretta blacking ? I am going back to the gunshop on Saturday to see what they say, are Beretta likely to cover this under their 3 year warranty ?

i have already enquires about re-blacking so I know I can get this done myself for around £180

BFFB8993-08A1-47BE-8CF7-64C72CD85549.jpeg

Edited by C9smw

Brand new gun, 4 weeks old.....back to the dealer if it was me. 

Im sure they will sort it for you, but do that before you shell out any more cash on things like re-blueing, which may invalidate your warranty?

Edited by Iggy

Imperfections in the steelium I find it hard to believe that,with how thin the barrel walls are on guns any imperfections you'd expect to show in a failing when proofed. More likely the steel wasn't cleaned properly before the blacking was applied.

You would think on a gun less than a month old Beretta would just replace it. Not you having bought a new gun with a fault and then having a repaired gun from a month old.

Edited by figgy

3 minutes ago, Westward said:

They aren't resolving it yet. GMK are the experts at wriggling out of warranty issues.

Not always, when I had a problem with a major component breakage on a Beretta semi-auto they sent a new part to the dealer in 24 hrs.

Vic.

A breakage is one thing, a mark in the bluing may or may not be a defect and they may or may not make it right. Overall my point about them is they've never understood that over the longer term, good customer relations are worth vastly more to the bottom line than short term penny pinching.

Their attitude has certainly lost me as a Beretta customer for ever.

This is the first problem I have ever had with a shotgun, so I have no experience of GMK or any other manufacturer / importer. 

Hopefully they will honour something on this, if not I will just have to pay to have it sorted and get on with it

13 hours ago, C9smw said:

This is the first problem I have ever had with a shotgun, so I have no experience of GMK or any other manufacturer / importer. 

Hopefully they will honour something on this, if not I will just have to pay to have it sorted and get on with it

Just a personal opinion.

Why on earth would you look to pay to have a fault on a new item corrected?

It should have been returned to the dealer immediately a problem was found. faults never correct themselves?

43 minutes ago, old man said:

Just a personal opinion.

Why on earth would you look to pay to have a fault on a new item corrected?

It should have been returned to the dealer immediately a problem was found. faults never correct themselves?

I suppose I just want my gun back ASAP 

31 minutes ago, Westward said:

I would be very surprised if they did. More likely they'll blame  the user for getting blood or acid on the bluing.

That’s what I’m thinking, they’ll say it’s rubbed on my gun sleeve or something like that. In truth the only thing that’s been on the barrels is gun oil when I’ve wiped it down. 

• 2 weeks later...

After my gun being away for a week and a half I’ve heard nothing from GMK, so I called them today. I was told their workshop don’t think this would be covered under warranty as the gun could have been dropped, but they don’t deal with the public so I need to call the retailer tomorrow. I sent them the complete gun, the rest of it is mint apart from the black spot coming off the barrels. Looks like I’ve got a battle on my hands !

Sorry to hear of GMK's reaction but that is actually the dealer's problem. You paid the dealer for the gun so your legal contract is with him. First step is surely to refuse to accept the gun back from the dealer and ask for a replacement or refund. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.

On 06/04/2019 at 19:07, Westward said:

A breakage is one thing, a mark in the bluing may or may not be a defect and they may or may not make it right. Overall my point about them is they've never understood that over the longer term, good customer relations are worth vastly more to the bottom line than short term penny pinching.

Their attitude has certainly lost me as a Beretta customer for ever.

Agree, same for me. I had a nightmare time with them some years ago with a new EELL. Never again.

Lesson to us all I think.

New or old always examine in minute detail any gun you might buy. I feel for the OP but the fault is obvious and in an ideal world should have been noticed.

Gmk are the experts and would know immediately if the fault is a scuff which could have been done after it left the factory, in which case you are stuffed. Or if it is a fault in the bluing. Shame you did not get a report from a registered gunsmith.

All hindsight I fear but the best of luck with it. 

A few people on here have commented on GMK's service and now I have first hand experience of them I can agree, shocking !

I called the retailer this afternoon after GMK told me yesterday that they would contact the retailer first thing this morning, they hadn't heard anything from GMK.

So I telephoned GMK to ask what was going on and was put through to their workshop. I asked why they thought this should not be covered under their warranty, the reply was that there is a tiny mark on the barrel. I asked would a tiny mark cause a 5mm diameter patch of blacking to disappear, "No" was the response. So I asked what could have caused the loss of blacking and the response to that was "I don't know, it looks like it could have rubbed on something." 'i asked what it could have rubbed on to remove the blacking, silence !

I then asked if it isn't covered by their warranty what would the cost be for the repair, "you will have to speak to your retailer as the costs have been emailed to them", I called the shop to enquire the cost, they haven't received it ! 

So i have been without my gun for 2 weeks now with no work carried out, whether it will require paying for or not. So frustrating