Silencer noise comparison video

Hamster

Not a bad vid .

I find his style a bit bland , but his content is always  great and well done so always worth a watch if he is reviewing a potential purchase .

Over the years of testing silencers myself (having got and had a fair few) ive also found a direct  correlation between internal volume and effectiveness .

2 thinks to note are .reflex silencers  (even if they have a large volume behind the muzzle ) arent very effective.

And the length of the silencer will usually play as equal part if not more so than just the volume alone .What i mean is - take 2 silencers with equal internal volume (and baffle construction ) one is short and fat the other long and thin .

The long and thin will be the quietest of the 2..its the length in this case makes the difference .not least as you can usually get more baffles in there also .

Hope this helps. 

Stu. 

He definitely has a point when he says least quiet won't always matter if the ends justify the means. I hadn't realised (nor cared) that Huggett are relatively poor performing but the two I own are superb in their own ways.

I fitted a short one to my FAC Wildcat (which already benefits from an effective shroud) mainly to help increase the length and help with the balance both standing and off the bench but it also noticeably reduces the muzzle report so winner winner. The A @ M in my Wildcat's case would be a non starter although I may well experiment with that (or perhaps a lighter fatter version of something) for my .22 semi auto rimfire. I also own a longer Huggett which reduces the report of my .25 Air Ranger 39 ft lbs gun to very low levels and being much lighter than comparable length silencers is, again, the right choice regardless of actual decibel reductions. 

I couldnt agree more .

I personally feel absolute quietness is rather pointless on an airgun .Sure its nice to be as quiet as possible. But walk 20  yds away and you wont be able to tell the difference between the worst and the best silencer .

I dont add any extra silencer on my .25 wildcat .its a long range gun and at 50 plus yards you cant hear the gun at all 

So why bother. 

Fit and balance /handeling are much bigger factors in my opinion  than absolute silence 

On 06/04/2019 at 12:22, Ultrastu said:

I couldnt agree more .

I personally feel absolute quietness is rather pointless on an airgun .Sure its nice to be as quiet as possible. But walk 20  yds away and you wont be able to tell the difference between the worst and the best silencer .

I dont add any extra silencer on my .25 wildcat .its a long range gun and at 50 plus yards you cant hear the gun at all 

So why bother. 

Fit and balance /handeling are much bigger factors in my opinion  than absolute silence 

Have to agree Stu.  With almost all silencers there is more reaction from the projectile arriving than the noise from the gun, both air and RF/centre fires. A miss almost always results in a 'stare' and a look around or the target will run towards you if the strike is on the other side.  I have a real stubby silencer on my 22BR and all you hear is the supersonic crack and the Thwock as the bullet arrives.  The relatively cheap...don't know the make... on my AA S200 is the same, although in the blind the action noise is obvious, three magpies will attest to that, well they would if they were still alive.