Hushpower 410

ljaddy12

Had some good news today finally droped on farmer who has land at back of my house he gave me permission to shoot and hes putting peas in this week got me thinking about shooting near houses ive got some more land at back of houses i never shoot not sure about the whole hushpower world 410 or 20g are they effective what cartridges ect i was looking at a baikal 410 single barrel give me your thought please

Are you looking for a 410. I would think it’s ok in the fields at the back of the houses you would not need that near to them 

will you just shoot away from them 

My Mossy pumper shoots standard cartridges reasonably quietly. Very litle is completely quiet .... maybe 22RF subs come close.  The small amount of noise my mossy produces would probably not be heard above the ambient noise inside a house, TV, kettle boiling, washing machine, radio because it kills the BOOM with a standard shotgun.    The 410 and the 20 Hushpowers are very similar and as said if you shoot safely and as far away from the houses as possible to get a safe shot then I think you would be good to go.

How big is the field ? 

Yep im a fan of hushpowered .410 and 20b  .though the .410 is obviously a bit quieter than the 20b .

I dont reccomend the baikal fully shrouded though .the barrel porting along a lot the the barrels length will rob the energy of the pellets reducing effective range too much ( to 15 - 20 yds ) .the mossberg although ported doesnt start as far back as the baikal and hence makes better muzzle energy .

The best option for effectiveness is unported barrels. The add on mod on the end of any normal single shot gun (baikal included ) will be the most effective for range and energy .

It will also be plenty quiet enough for your needs and you should be able to take pige etc out to 30 yds .accuracy withstanding of course ..

These are  my findings over quiet a few .410s over the years. 

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Yep im a fan of hushpowered .410 and 20b  .though the .410 is obviously a bit quieter than the 20b .

I dont reccomend the baikal fully shrouded though .the barrel porting along a lot the the barrels length will rob the energy of the pellets reducing effective range too much ( to 15 - 20 yds ) .the mossberg although ported doesnt start as far back as the baikal and hence makes better muzzle energy .

The best option for effectiveness is unported barrels. The add on mod on the end of any normal single shot gun (baikal included ) will be the most effective for range and energy .

It will also be plenty quiet enough for your needs and you should be able to take pige etc out to 30 yds .accuracy withstanding of course ..

These are  my findings over quiet a few .410s over the years. 

I have to completely disagree with the above. 

I have had the Mossberg and sold it in preference of the Baikal. Its a superb gun, patterns better than the Mossberg, is better balanced etc. Out to 35 yards, and sometimes a tad further, its been a cracking gun. I have put various cartridges through it, and now mostly use my own home loaded.

These were 25-35 yards, 30 for 45 carts. Put the shot in the right place, 😏

IMG_0946.JPG

Thats fine your allowed to disagree .which bit though ? About barrel porting robbing energy ? (You saying it doesnt ?)

Or about effective range Of different guns ? 

Can i ask what pellet size your using in your home load ? 

Edited by Ultrastu

8 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Thats fine your allowed to disagree .which bit though ? About barrel porting robbing energy ? (You saying it doesnt ?)

Or about effective range Of different guns ? 

Can i ask what pellet size your using in your home load ? 

Quote "I dont reccomend the baikal fully shrouded though .the barrel porting along a lot the the barrels length will rob the energy of the pellets reducing effective range too much ( to 15 - 20 yds ) ".

Of course the porting does "rob" the energy over an un ported barrel. You can't have owt for nowt. But, its the same thing again, performance in the field. Clearly there is more than enough energy in the pellets to do the job at further ranges than your advised 15-20 yards.

18grms 6, fibre, on that occasion, subsonic recipe from FES. My poor shooting accounting for the complete misses. 

I use a Baikal hushpower full barrel and have shot 1500+ Corvids over the last 12 months with it,a good majority of these birds were shot between 30-40 yards with 18g 6 shot carts,put the shot in the right place and it's more than adequate at 30-40 yards.😎

But I would agree Subsonics lack the power u mention,however if you use standard .410 carts through the Husher some are just as quiet ,Gamebore 18g,6 shot,fibre are the quietest in my opinion and much less £ per box in comparison to subsonics. 

Edited by Bluebarrels

28 minutes ago, gotgcoalman said:

Going to give this it's maiden voyage tomorrow with the hushpower on.

Mainly to "bed the can in" using factory 3" crackers.

Wads arrived for the home loading. Just need to pick the powder up.

IMG_20190406_175801.jpg

I had 1 of those webley bolt actions .

Never got round to modding it though .

But my goodness did it hit hard and shoot a tight group .

I was very effective on squirrels. 

Took the little gun for a run out on clays using both 18g#6  3" and 12.5g#6  2 1/2" carts (both factory NON sub loads)

Compared  12, 12 with hushpower and .410 hushpower.

Let's put it this way. If you used the .410 with the can on in your back garden the neighbours would think you were having a "plinking session" using an airgun.(I don't recomend doing this though)

5 hours ago, gotgcoalman said:

Took the little gun for a run out on clays using both 18g#6  3" and 12.5g#6  2 1/2" carts (both factory NON sub loads)

Compared  12, 12 with hushpower and .410 hushpower.

Let's put it this way. If you used the .410 with the can on in your back garden the neighbours would think you were having a "plinking session" using an airgun.(I don't recomend doing this though)

A very effective tool,yes you only get the one shot but I think the trade off is worth it when it comes to noise reduction over a non modded gun.

I've had one for 2 years and Tbh the other guns hardly get a look in now.😂👍👍

41 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

I have to be the pessimistic but I had one about ten years ago. For the sensitive areas where it was needed I found a airgun a better tool

pessisism is the root of all evils.

wash your mouth out with soapy water and then beat your self with twigs and nettles.

Yep I thought the humble .410 to be a childs gun (I was totally wrong)

In certain situations it's now my "must have gun"

I have never owned or shot a hushpower of any kind , but i have had several .410s all unsilenced and i did have a laporte swing trap U&O 12 this was a full length Silenced Fabarm O & U from what i could tell.

It did silence the bang a little and a few hundred yards away there was a difference compared to a standard 12.  But if you used the same subsonic ammo in an 1100 remington i had at the time it would not cycle the action but was surprisingly quiet compared to using the same ammo in a normal o & u . now rightly or wrongly  We put it down to the gas being vented off but not cycling adding to the slight reduction in noise. Had no evidence to support this theory but was all we could come up with at the time.

When you are porting thhe barrel like the full length moderators you will tap off some speed, now with a shotgun how much speed exactly i have no idea, but with a .410 which is in need of all the help it can get from speed to enable small shot to be used to prop up the small payloads in the patterning stakes, scrub off speed from my line or thinking you are reducing efficiency and you just can not loose much if your using lead or more so steel.

I did not think much to the moderated laporte in use it worked but it was not fantastic and i was reloading for it most of the time so patterns were good, but i did not miss it when i sold it, and if i were to bother with subsonic again i would try a metro gun style system i like that idea more.