SXS

The Heron

I know we have mentioned this before but I was surprised at the level at which the value of second sxs have dropped to if you go to the auction houses you can pick up one for as little as £30 even a decent AYA can be had for between £100-£200 the only guns holding there value are London guns.

Now's the time then to pick up a bargain. There are some cracking boxlocks and sidelocks to be had for anyone wishing to add one to their cabinet. Good light guns for walked up shooting and excellent in the hide. Trouble is, youngsters coming into shooting all learn with O/Us these days which is a great shame. 

OB

I've seen army & navy boxlocks that 15 year ago would be worth 3.5k now 300 pounds. Aya for around 100 pounds little bit of tlc required that you could still buy new a few years ago for over 3k.

Local gun dealers have some high end London guns in stock and some matched pairs. Not seen many sold. 

The bottom has truly fell out of the market for them, even with older guns who were brought up shooting them, rarely shoot one prefer to shoot ou game guns.

Some real bargains if you like a sxs. Don't think we will ever see them back in fashion sadly.

Edited by figgy

11 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Even the London guns are struggling. I know because I have been trying to sell one!

Go on Dave ! £3k & those pinfires I sent you and we will call it quits; you know it makes sence. I could just get a Holland & Holland in the cabinet with a squeeze.😂😂☺️

6 hours ago, JJsDad said:

Go on Dave ! £3k & those pinfires I sent you and we will call it quits; you know it makes sence. I could just get a Holland & Holland in the cabinet with a squeeze.😂😂☺️

Nice try, it’s with a gunsmith in Scotland now so gingers crossed. And by the way shot a couple of birds with the pinfires... thanks

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

And by the way shot a couple of birds with the pinfires... thanks

Glad they worked. No use to me and heavens knows how long they were tucked away in a French loft. I thought the primer composition would have degraded seeing as how they were only primed rather than loaded. Good luck with the sidelock, out of my price bracket I am afraid.

Its  a real shame people have this opinion of SBS's, I recently purchased one for my self and a small baikal for my 12 yr old ("Bosher" bargains), both perfect fits and we have a great time at the clay grounds. Both of them bought for a tenth of the price of my Browning. A very cheap way for people to get into the sport and for youngsters to learn. 12yr old shoots it far better than a 686 Beretta we have for them.

Admittedly, I don't enter competitions just enjoy shooting with friends and my two boys.

I’ve got a Spanish Master SxS in 12 Bore that I had when my mate died. 

Mir was already rough and ready so I use it to take out the dog as I don’t mind having to drop the gun and correct the dog if needed. 

Guns chokes in 1/2 and Full and I’ve had some of the best shots I’ve ever made with it. 

These days with the SxSs its the top end guns that still sell . kind of the jaguar E types of the gun world always desirable its just you have to buy or have bought them right to begin with to stay in front. Fluctuating prices and a expensive purchase bought with you heart not your brain could leave you in a compromising situation financially.

Dangerous areas are better guns that are not quite super top end makers or worked on old beaters mutton dressed as lamb best guns asking true top dolar prices . Bad idea.

Middle ground your Webley 700s 500s some midlands army and navy better models and even genuine tidy provincial gun makers offerings can be a solid buy and within eassy reach of most wallets.

After that its a mine field you need to know your stuff do your home work there are lots of variables and some overlooked bargains to be had and money to be made, not huge amounts perhaps but its there for the clued up buyer.

Tidy basic AYAs no 4s wont make the money they did years ago but offer a cheap way into a half decent SxS which will last you a lifetime, i got a mint no4 imaculate i doubt it had had 50 rounds through it in a english leather case for £150. i locked it away 5 years and gave it my Daughter for her 18th birthday, she uses that more than her 686 game now.

Old BSAs in lower or engraved models are a bargain well made reliable last years buy a genuine cabinet queen version you still find them these are not super desirable but they are a lot of gun for low  money.

Other spaniards and belgian some german guns again just the fact they are SxS can leave the ill informed to let them go cheap , do your home work some bargains to be had there too.

I like SxS guns and i think in my little world at least,  more i know use them now than say ten to twenty years ago and thats for game pigeons and wildfowling . In wildfowling they still have a following /usefulness. and would say rough guesstimate 25% of fowlers i see all over the country still use SxS of one type.. (size)  or another  .

Clays its mostly Over and unders now with some semi autos and i think for pigeon vermin its as i see it about a 45% x 45% split between semi/  pump to O and Us pumps being less popular than semis in that equasion and SxS probably 10% .

For me although i use a O/u in a pigeon hide auto / pump are my prefered choice inline loading  no net tangling lower felt recoil on auto all swing it for me,  But  SxS are better IMO in hides compared to O,U , less gape less juggling to shut the gun in some tight sittuations than O.U.

I think Sxs have a lot going for them trends have been the downfall on the clay circuits if diggweed or AN Other big name suddenly started campaigning one ( hardly likely is it) i imagine the sheep would follow its the way it is.

45 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I’ve got a Spanish Master SxS in 12 Bore that I had when my mate died. 

Mir was already rough and ready so I use it to take out the dog as I don’t mind having to drop the gun and correct the dog if needed. 

Guns chokes in 1/2 and Full and I’ve had some of the best shots I’ve ever made with it. 

Nothing wrong with those masters chopper lump barrels on them, good strong old gun. :good: