A good move

motty

On Friday Jules and I were a little stumped as to where we might find some pigeons for the following day. We had a couple of options that might see us killing a small bag, but I always want a bit more. Jules used his initiative and ended up getting some more permission on two sizable farms. Luckily enough, some rape on both farms needed some attention.

I arrived at Jules' house at just after 8.30am  yesterday morning. We then headed out to the first rape field. As we approached, pigeons were already dropping in nicely. We selected the area where they were (a nice bald spot) and set up. The usual magnet and shells were deployed.

Pigeons were constantly on the wing, but most were heading over the large field to the other side. We did have customers, but not many. A lot that looked set to decoy, stayed just out of range. We changed things around many times, but nothing really worked. Jules even made a hide 80 yards into the field to try to intercept those that were sliding past. He did manage to shoot a few this way. Eventually we had to accept that they weren't going to play ball. They were acting very much like Winter pigeons. We left at around midday with 30 pigeons and a crow in the bag. We moved a few miles further on to a rape field on the other farm. A good number of birds were showing in a couple of places. This field only had a few yards of rape that was in flower - the rest was pretty much only 3" tall.

We went light - only taking the hide kit and the magnet. Pigeons started coming in small bunches and decoyed extremely well. We built the pattern from dead birds from then on. This was much more like it!  We both shot pretty well, taking some doubles. We ended with 40 pigeons in almost half of the time it took us to get 30 on the other field. So all in all, we were satisfied with our hard earned 70 pigeons. It was well worth the move!

Well done. I have been getting a lot of that birds putting the brakes on looking then thinking better of it and carrying on maybe 1 tail ender peeling off. enough birds for some big bags if they committed but they have been shot at a lot