Success with .410!

humperdingle

I’ve had various .410 shotguns over the years - Webley, Norica, Baikal etc... but i’ve never really had too a lot of success in hitting much.

But I picked up a lovely little Norinco single barrel in .410 the other day and finally had a chance to try it out today.

What a lovely wee shooter! Really neat little gun and ‘feels’ right. The sight picture is also much clearer and easier to use than any other i’ve used.

Anyway, started off with a few easy incomers, then moved onto crossers and looping battues. Happy to say I was able to score on about 3 out of every 4  targets :)

However, I nearly choked when I was told “£9.40 for a box of 25 cartridges”

:O

I normally shoot Fiocchi  3 inch if I buy factory and buy them by the slab. Still expensive but I know I can reload the cases, some twice. Lucky this last year that I was given 500 once fired so will not need to buy factory this year.  Fiocchi and Hull High Pheasant are what I recommend for live game with a 410 if factory shells.   I found Lylevale wanting and RCs worried me in the fact they blew a third of the case up the barrel with the shot a third of the time and badly burned the lips of the rest and did not kill as well as the Fiocchi or the Hull High Pheasant.

Bear in mind that 99% of my bird shooting is with a 410 and last year I shot 21 days driven so my experience is not occasional.

I managed to buy a second hand Mec 600 and then purchased a 410 kit from the USA for it.  I had a friend ship it for me as the upplier could not ship to the UK  for some reason.

You will also need a set of scales and a powder trickler.    The GAEP spinner from Folkestone Engineering does put a nice finish on the crimp/turn over.

• 2 weeks later...