Shot my CZ 527 for the first time.

NoBodyImportant

24 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

I reload mine and a nice 1/2” group at 100 yards with a load that’s deer legal here.  

Their a lovely light little rifle welcome to the club. 

I reload but steel case 762 is dirt cheap here so it would cost more to reload then just to buy.  I bought it as a iron sight gun so I was expecting MOA out of it. 

44 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

Hi, sorry I’m no deer hunter, but is 1.5” groups at 50 yards really considered accurate enough to hunt deer?

how close are your shots normally?

Here in the mountains the woods and brush is really thick, most shots are taken between 10-75 yards.  Is more about the stalk and how slow you approach.  If you move slow and pluck grass has you move you can get right up to them.   Set on your knees and just kept ripping up grass as you move.  Don’t look at the deer or show them interest, the sound of the grass being ripped is a comfort to them as other deer don’t eat when danger is near and their predators don’t eat grass ether. 9C4A8A0A-8782-4AE9-8A89-DE6C5526D4E8.jpeg.f065fabd33e4ee7f1f35aaabd3dd7526.jpeg

2 hours ago, southeastpete said:

How interesting. Never heard that grass ripping trick before!

It was a Native American trick.  I heard that the sound calms them and I have heard that the smell of chewed grass calms them. I also heard it has to do with deer not fearing herbivores.   I’m not sure the scientific reasoning but I have had some pretty darn good stalks.  But the point is to get in bow distances.  And at 15-25 yards even a non accurate rifle will do fine.  The other popular way to hunt is in a tree stand and shoot as they walk below you.   That has more to do with where you put a stand up.  Like over a game trail, corn, soy, water source.