WW & Patermaster chokes and Maylar fiber loads.

lancer425

This isn’t going to work, as wad wizard and patternmaster chokes have little lugs inside them, what they were designed to do was to slow the wad and release the shot from the wad, however it has been proven that they are actually bumping the wad petals inwards slowing down the first part of the shot as they fold the wad petals in, this is balling the shot into a much tighter pattern. 

With a fibre wad they are just going to rip the wad into a million bits! 

On 09/04/2019 at 10:12, Smokersmith said:

I'd be interested in what you found if you did the testing ....

I will do something at some point a mate has two Wad wizards in 10 &  12 so will have a look this summer, getting ready to start work right now so should not be long.  I have to say i am not optimistiuc and think the above post are corect, but i will try just to prove it one way or the other for the sake of a couple of rounds and a sheet or ten😁 of paper nothing to lose.

Meanwhile anybody else reading this borred one day  beat me to it and have a patternmaster or Wad wizard give it a try on felt wads  and report back . be appreciated thanks.

3 hours ago, motty said:

I believe wad wizard and pattern masters don't "work". I think wad stripping is just a marketing gimmick.

I have never had one but seen them pattern well enough my mate swears by his  Wad wizards with steel and HW 13.  I will post up some pattern pictures in a week or so from his guns.

11 hours ago, lancer425 said:

I have never had one but seen them pattern well enough my mate swears by his  Wad wizards with steel and HW 13.  I will post up some pattern pictures in a week or so from his guns.

I am not saying they won't pattern well.

On 09/04/2019 at 10:12, Smokersmith said:

I'd be interested in what you found if you did the testing ....

It wasn’t me it was in wildfowl magazine, they did slow motion pictures, it’s pretty conclusive, I’ll see if I can find the article. 

On 11/04/2019 at 10:16, lancer425 said:

I will do something at some point a mate has two Wad wizards in 10 &  12 so will have a look this summer, getting ready to start work right now so should not be long.  I have to say i am not optimistiuc and think the above post are corect, but i will try just to prove it one way or the other for the sake of a couple of rounds and a sheet or ten😁 of paper nothing to lose.

Meanwhile anybody else reading this borred one day  beat me to it and have a patternmaster or Wad wizard give it a try on felt wads  and report back . be appreciated thanks.

I’ve tried it on fibre lead clay cartridges but not fibre steel where these is a shot cup. With the fibre wad it just exploded, there was **** going everywhere. Same as terror 675, it’s such a small hole to put the wad through it just disintegrates 

1 hour ago, johnnytheboy said:

It wasn’t me it was in wildfowl magazine, they did slow motion pictures, it’s pretty conclusive, I’ll see if I can find the article. 

I’ve tried it on fibre lead clay cartridges but not fibre steel where these is a shot cup. With the fibre wad it just exploded, there was **** going everywhere. Same as terror 675, it’s such a small hole to put the wad through it just disintegrates 

I do not doubt for one second  fibre will give trouble, and it will only be with lead just to see for our selves.  With tight chokes the cheap hard fibre wads like you get in factory fibre wad ammo all the time they do crumble up in the tight constrictions i have a briley ported turkey choke in ten bore its 655 constriction fibre wads do not like that choke, but when you use the soft sticky fibre wads with nitro card undershot the soft wad  underneath it not only seals but the felt wads  integrity support the nitro card and i have found then that still though undersized from new are still intact.  Gas seals do not fair very well in tight chokes with ports set up like briley have theirs. My thought on factory fibre wad ammo is not printable here and quite how they have the gaul to offer powder slap a fibre wad in and bang shot on top calling it fibre wad is disgusting. Look at old eley  grand prix from the 50s and 60s they were way more than just a fibre wad and perhaps a nitro card offered in today’s excuses. You only get out of a cartridge what you put in it, this is clearly evident when you look at most fibre factory ammo vs their plaswad opposite numbers. 

You can get fibre to match and sometimes exeed plaswad performance, but if you are about churning out ammo making money plaswads perform better than fibre wads when your throwing ammo together and dont care. .

12 hours ago, motty said:

Ok. Is it the principle of these chokes the check wad promoting what is effectively mild controled  balling ? Or is it shot string or lack of it you feel is not working. ? Genuinely interested to know.

On 11/04/2019 at 17:11, motty said:

I believe wad wizard and pattern masters don't "work". I think wad stripping is just a marketing gimmick.

13 hours ago, motty said:

Some 'marketing gimmick' if you do no believe they work but will pattern well. The whole point of Patternmaster ( not including the turkey tubes ) is that technically they are not a choke as there is no constriction, it is simply a parallel tube with 5 lugs to arrest the wads progress through the tube the length of tube after the lugs changes the degree of ' choke '. So you can shoot steel through it and achieve a pattern that is up to extra full, way past the recommended half only. That is like inventing the wheel in shooting terms!

Edited by AYA117

51 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

Some 'marketing gimmick' if you do no believe they work but will pattern well. The whole point of Patternmaster ( not including the turkey tubes ) is that technically they are not a choke as there is no constriction, it is simply a parallel tube with 5 lugs to arrest the wads progress through the tube the length of tube after the lugs changes the degree of ' choke '. So you can shoot steel through it and achieve a pattern that is up to extra full, way past the recommended half only. That is like inventing the wheel in shooting terms!

I will admit they pattern well, and i am not for or against them, i have seen them in action and they do work.  I will go on to admit i like the no restriction idea but if you put them up against the over Extra full steel chokes you start to see a shortfall in pattermaster performance. 

Speed upsets them too they are erratic and unreliable if you go a lot over 1400FPS which is neither here nor there to many wildfowlers. I have only direct experience with Wad Wizards through a friend who has two, but i have seen Pattermaster in use, and i think most like pattermasters who have them. I will go on to say it has been mentioned on other websites that the firs old type patternmasters are better than the newer ones. If true or not i have no idea.

13 hours ago, AYA117 said:

It is correct that I don't believe the "lugs" retard the wad. That doesn't mean that they will not throw decent patterns. I had a wad wizard in both 10 and 12. I didn't do much pattern testing, but the results were ok in the field. I sold those chokes in favour of extra full ones for steel and have far better results now.

1 hour ago, motty said:

It is correct that I don't believe the "lugs" retard the wad. That doesn't mean that they will not throw decent patterns. I had a wad wizard in both 10 and 12. I didn't do much pattern testing, but the results were ok in the field. I sold those chokes in favour of extra full ones for steel and have far better results now.

I dont think they will live with a good constriction choke, i have seen lots of patterns of my mate and with identical loads The tighter  Constrictors do better on the pattern sheet and in the field in my opinion.

One place they do surprisingly well is with F and T sthe W W in 10ga was only about 6% down on .720 terror and with this big shot it needed .705 to gain any significant advantage 15 to 20% on average  .  With all smaller than T sized steel the .720 faired much better.  So might be a good idea if using Ts OR Fs or possibly BBB in a 12, i dont chose to use BBB in 12s but if i did decide to i would consider using a WW choke or buy a 835 or 935 Mosberg just for BBB but this is hardly likely and i will stick to BB in the 12bore.  .

• 2 weeks later...