The most unexpected afternoon

motty

I was mulling over my options on Friday afternoon. I had phoned a farmer and asked if there were pigeons on his clover. He said there was a lot on there last week. I thought I would try the field on Sunday, as I doubted it would produce much.

I was in no rush to get to the field, preferring to catch up on a bit of sleep. I eventually got ready, then arrived at the field at 11am. I was fully expecting to have a quick look at the field, then go and have a look at the rape further up the road. As I entered the field, though, over 100 got up from a little area in one corner. I stayed and watched. Birds started appearing and looking to drop in. They went to the far end. The rain then started to pour. This didn't bother me too much, as I had my large (new and unused) fishing brolly with me. Pigeons kept coming. Usually I don't set up until the rain ceases, but I decided to have a go. I erected the brolly first, then built the net underneath in the dry. I hastily put out 22 flocked shells close to the hide position (little pithole), then added the magnet in front and to the left. The wind was nicely on my back.

I drove the truck back to the corner of the field, and then watched pigeons floating into the decoys as I returned quickly to my hide. Could I be in for a good day?

I fired my first shot and killed my first pigeon as soon as I entered the hide and got loaded. Maybe 700 pigeons lifted from the far end of the field and surrounding trees. I didn't know they were there! They dispersed in all directions and I settled down to some proper decoying. They came from all points of the compass, swinging in towards my hide. I was taking pairs fairly regularly and my recent poor shooting form was all but forgotten. This wasn't to say that I didn't miss a few - I did!

The pigeons were quite kind. Some nice little bunches came, so I could pick and choose my targets. I could ignore a low decoying ''doddler'' in favour of a nice driven type bird. This was sport to be savoured.

The bag was mounting, and I had a couple of pick-ups to clear a fresh area for pigeons to head for. The pigeons were reading the script, thankfully.                                                                                                 I knew I had smashed the ton by the amount of cartridges I had fired. I shot a cracking triple just before the close of play, which was a bonus. I carried on until I the tap was starting to be turned off. I might have shot a few more, but I had a good few to pick on my own.

I finished with 160 pigeons and a token rook. I shall review the footage I got, with a view to posting a video later this week.   Thanks for reading.

My picture appears o be missing. I will sort it!

791261877_WP_20190407_0011.jpg.43c3eec54234d0bdc010976baa2423de.jpg

Edited by motty