Young Driver Insurance

Ricko

We used Hastings direct for our daughter earlier this year. Has black box and app and was quite a bit cheaper than some of the others. Be wary of the ‘i’ll Give them my old car’ thought, we did that with our son about 6 years ago. He couldn’t afford the insurance the first year so it sat around doing nothing whilst he bought a 125 to gain a year in age and a years NCB. 

We were much more savvy with daughters car, a Sköda Citigo - group 1 ins and 55 MPG. 

More than ,smart wheels were by far the cheapest for my daughter, compulsory black box, 5000 miles, and strict with speeding .
The policy had to have me on it, and car in my name. Fiat Punto Grande 1.2 £1600

Just reinsured with them, didnt really want to , as she hates the black box and mileage limit, but nobody could get near their £1150 renewal fee, next cheapest was Flux with all the same caveats @ £1400 

Shes 19 in July, no accidents/convictions

No wonder we are paying extra on our premiums.They wonder why people drive around with no insurance.

Some kid has a car worth £200/£500 and is then required to pay hundreds a month to insure it.

I know they are are high risk but come on its highway robbery what theses insurance companies are getting away with. 

It would be fair if they gave back 75% if they never had an accident & proved no risk.Can't see that happening can you.

The whole paying for the uninsured is solely self created by the insurance companies for being greedy.

When they send me my renewal and i say no thanks i can get it £200 cheaper for the identical cover elsewhere.They then turn around and say let us match it.Eh hold on a mo, you try and purposely set out to  defraud me by £200 and then openly admit you will match another provider.Bloody theft in my eyes, no different than being mugged in the street for £200. 

Edited by Davyo

2 hours ago, Davyo said:

No wonder we are paying extra on our premiums.They wonder why people drive around with no insurance.

Some kid has a car worth £200/£500 and is then required to pay hundreds a month to insure it.

I know they are are high risk but come on its highway robbery what theses insurance companies are getting away with. 

It would be fair if they gave back 75% if they never had an accident & proved no risk.Can't see that happening can you.

The whole paying for the uninsured is solely self created by the insurance companies for being greedy.

When they send me my renewal and i say no thanks i can get it £200 cheaper for the identical cover elsewhere.They then turn around and say let us match it.Eh hold on a mo, you try and purposely set out to  defraud me by £200 and then openly admit you will match another provider.Bloody theft in my eyes, no different than being mugged in the street for £200. 

Cant argue with that :good:

My lads at work pay over £3000 but it’s a 250bhp car at 20 years old. 

He smashed his first car up driving silly and has again with this one. ...

i can see see why it’s so much to be honest . To many lads pass then think they can drive while drifting and going double the speed limit .

i know a lad who had his insurance canceled 4 times on a black box

I think a better solution would be to limit new drivers to say 1ltr (restricted due to the likes of the ecoboost & the likes being a bit nippy).Then if they keep a clean book allow them to move up to a higher CC.Bit like the motorcycle licence.

Supercars maybe should be clean licence for 5yrs & an advanced driving course.

Be an absolute plonker and be made to sell said supercar and go back down to 1lt.

It should be compulsory for every footballer to be limited to a push bike.With stabilizers and a bell of course. 

Edited by Davyo

5 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Do you know what! I think the insurance companies are milking this young driver insurance for all its worth, in fact all insurance now is getting excessive .  Government needs to look into this, its law we must have it in this country it needs to be at least fair. .

They are, the black box technology has told the insurer that young drivers are among the safest on the road, the top speeders were male/female professionals driving bmw Audi fleet cars. 

2 hours ago, johnnytheboy said:

They are, the black box technology has told the insurer that young drivers are among the safest on the road, the top speeders were male/female professionals driving bmw Audi fleet cars. 

Black box technology?

Its not space age and its fallible mates daughter has one on her clio way he explains it to me is its like a pendulum it just triggers negative reading if you brake hard or accelerate hard, She got an extra added monthly premium when she drove in to university in heavy traffic had to brake hard  a few times and accelerate away quick and this threw this up  hence the extra premium that month. 

I said to him you best not borrow it to go foxing up the lane or you will end up with a grand bill that month.

ITs a money making device and premiums are still excessive anyway for all drivers the amount of cars on the road insured is astronomical even with the uninsured drivers ( Dwindling all the time with VNPR) allegedly  upping the premiums the profits must be huge. I think if any aspect of consumerism needs looking at in detail its insurance and car insurance especially.

As for cars and young drivers mere capacity is not the whole story some small light cars are relatively fast and some youngsters can not do what they want or need to do because of this my daughter 18 has horses needs a 4x4 but can not insure one  my mates lad 18  is in to drag bike racing needs a van can not insure one . cheapest insurance he could get for a 2000 year none turbo VWLT 70 BHP about as slow as sprinter size vans get £1300  for a 20 year old £1000 van. Power to weight ratios like the old 60s tax rates need revisiting or look at restriction like New motorcyclists have to do now,  Low HP models or restrictions to engines.

My daughter just got her first insurance - after comparing the Meerkat we found a quote of £1200 fully comp so decided to note the quote number and start the policy a few days later after she got paid - price had risen to £1500 when she tried to take out the policy - according to the salesman the quote you get is for that day only and can rise or fall every day???

The black box that my daughter had was linked to an app. Not only did if give you a warning but it congratulated you if you drove well during the week.

Fair play, I've been out with my son and he adheres strictly to the limits. He explained that if you're caught speeding in the first 2 years then your licence is revoked.

1 hour ago, daveboy said:

One in five new drivers have an accident in their first year. I hate to think what the average claim is (whiplash etc) 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/4918639/one-in-five-new-drivers-have-an-accident-in-their-first-year-and-3000-get-banned/

Oh look, an insurance industry funded study...wonder what conclusions it will come to?

Even in the article it says:

More than half of those new drivers involved in an accident had incurred an expense related to their own or someone else's vehicle - and 10 per cent incurred costs exceeding £1,000

£1000 in terms of vehicle repair gets you very little these days, and only 1 in every 10 claims caused that much damage.  So that tells me the remaining 90% had bumps, scrapes and car park dings?

So, yes 1 in every 5 young drivers has an accident in the first year (don't see a source for that though), but 4/5 don't. 

At this point, young drivers insurance is pretty much legalised extortion. 

It seems to be a particularly British phenomenon that we are so keen to dump on young people and haughtily claim that they deserve to get financially screwed, when the statistics, once examined with a slightly more fine-toothed comb than it seems your average Sun 'journalist' is capable of, don't necessarily back it up.

And as for black boxes which punish you for driving at night, in the rain, etc...how the bladdy hell else are you supposed to gain experience of such things?  How is the average student nurse supposed to get to and from her graveyard shift at the local rural hospital?

Oh dear, seems I've deployed my soapbox.  I'll get off now...

Please dont get off your soap box your right in everyway, in my daughters case how is she ever going to get to be able to tow her horses to events without her mother or me being involved, its not helping young people who want to conduct their lives in a responsible way, not every youngster turns into a raving lunatic the second they get behind the wheel of  a 3 litre 4x4.

Quite why they insist they get 1 litre shopping cars is beyond me, should be power to weight ratio. or governed to speed not ccs and car size. premiums are too high police are on the bandwagon now on named drivers on adults policy so that route is virtually gone, the insurance company’s are going to get their money whatever. We live in a society that’s car orientated now by extortionate premiums we are alienating young people who all crave independence as we all did but insuring my Anglia for £23 a year was fair a weeks wage in a year. Thats £300 to £400 that acceptable but how they do it now is just robbery. Premiums on youngsters in France and Belgian Holland are not as comparatively  high why here.

Edited by lancer425

Boringly, the average annualised cost of an average 17 year old Male on an average car was about £9.5k per driver last year.  No idea the average premium I’m afraid but even it’s half this, after broker or comparison costs then the actual premium is 200% too low...

Young drivers pay a lot of money yes, but they aren’t being ripped off, infact under 21’s are being subsidised by everyone else (apart from over 80’s where the pattern returns)

Dont think of it as being insurance companies money, it’s not, it’s yours and mine, they just manage collective money in and collective money out and try to cover costs if sales and processing and maybe make a profit like any other business.  If insurance premiums for young drivers are to reduce then your contribution for your own car will need to increase....

sorry, I did say it was boring 

I worked in the stats team of a major insurance company and trust me the numbers for young lads (17-21) were scary. We were criticised by the Press and at one stage OFT asked us to justify our premiums and the numbers clearly showed young lads - not lasses (read Brexit paragraph later!) were off the scale and almost insurable. We published data for all ages and gender and the problem went away. Hiding behind the numbers - we dug much deeper - if you added in a hot hatch or modified car in the hands of a young (17-21) lad the risk was uninsurable and, at that time we were the largest motor insurer in the UK so the data was robust.

BREXIT - a few years back some knob MEP - Belgium I recall - managed to squeeze through a bill which resulted in an EU directive which outlawed charging lower premiums for young lasses. It became law that the young girl who saved up a few quid and bought a nearly new Fiesta which of course she cared for and drove sensibly, had to be charged the same rate as the lad with the old banger, lowered suspension (which he never told us about!!) who then crashed and injured some poor innocent family man. As you are all fully aware in sure, as 'insurer concerned' we would still pick up the TP costs even though we might repudiate the damage to his car.

Nothing I saw come out of the EU in my old world made sense.

How many of us on here drove like an idiot from 17-21 years of age. I know I did and most of my mates were the same.

I sometimes go for a KFC on a weekend to my local retail park and they have a weekly "cruise" night.

Every week we see near misses as the boy racer's go round a big roundabout with the tail end hanging out.

The police have a crackdown a couple of times a year then it goes back to normal.

i Know a lad that never speeds, looks after his motor , enjoys the drive 

I know another with a welded diff , 250bhp and on the floor. He loves street racing and I’m worried for him to be honest . He’s a lovely lad but the car isn’t safe to me. 

Both are 21 and I know which I’d insure. 

One pays £700 and the other £3000 .