Who do you switch with?

Doc Holliday

As the title says. Looking to go with one of these automatic switching companies but I just want to cut through the chaff and so turn to the wheat of the great PW collective. I did look at Utilities Warehouse the other week and wasn't overly impressed. Not sure bout We Flip or U-Flip of whatever they're called (the TV ad with the Chameleon) as it seems they are tied to some of the main players. Any advice gratefully received.

6 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

As the title says. Looking to go with one of these automatic switching companies but I just want to cut through the chaff and so turn to the wheat of the great PW collective. I did look at Utilities Warehouse the other week and wasn't overly impressed. Not sure bout We Flip or U-Flip of whatever they're called (the TV ad with the Chameleon) as it seems they are tied to some of the main players. Any advice gratefully received.

hello, good post Doc, will keep a look on replies

Know what you are paying and how much gas and electricity you actually use.

Then go through the motions with Meerkats, Money Supermarket and any of the other big set ups.

Look for a pattern and then try to do a deal with the company you are most impressed with.

Look to lock in for two years or more if possible.

Most of the time the good deals are tied in to going through one of the comparison websites as that is how they make their money.

I've just switched to Shell,fixed till July 20. No contract after that so I will switch again. I do the same every time the provider puts my rate up. Look carefully at the price per unit which they all hve to show now clearly. 

I also use eco7 at every opportunity, 

Last time I switched with Money Supermarket to SSE. My neighbour was switched and my meter was lost. My neighbour got my bills and i ended up not paying. 18 months later i notice no direct debit, track down SSE and arrears are waived through breach of DD rules. Just tried to move from SSE to Bulb and request is refused as SSE are still to sort out National Data Base meter address. SSE have just given me a £50 compensation payment and are in the process of amending the data base and moving me to Bulb. What a mess and I only use about £50 electric a month.

Edited by oowee

I'm in the process of changing with the help of the MSE cheap energy club.

Went to Flow from SSE three years ago through Uswitch and they were great and saved a load. Second year Flow whacked my DD up and I've just claimed some money back off them because I was £200 in credit. They've been taken over by another company and seem to have gone to pot. I keep getting phone calls from their retention unit but as soon as I answer the phone they ring off. Googling the number gave me the details.

When I changed from SSE I got a message to say that the Meter Reference Point Numbers didn't match. I checked directly with the national database and found the numbers were correct passed these on to Flow and the change went ahead.

Now, through MSE cheap energy club I found a good deal with Tonik Energy, good reviews and savings too. I applied to switch, Tonik confirmed the switch within a few hours and then a couple of days later Tonik messaged me to say the switch couldn't go ahead because, according to the National Database, I'm on prepayment meters.

Domestic customers can no longer contact the NDB directly so I went to Flow and they gave me the MPRN's and confirmed the meter serial numbers that I gave them. They also said that they would update the NDB.

I then emailed Tonik with the numbers and they emailed me back to confirm the switch was now going ahead within 21 days.

Having seen this happen to loads of other customers when they want to switch then, being a confirmed conspiracy theorist, I suspect there's some fiddling going on to try to frustrate anyone trying to switch.

WeFlip only do comparisons with companies who pay them commission.

Edited by KFC

13 hours ago, B725 said:

I have sent you a pm. https://share.octopus.energy/kiwi-mink-519.  Use this link to have a look I didn't think I could post it correctly, octapus is very easy to calculate and was the cheapest for me 

We are with octopus as well, have been since iresa went bust and they took on our account. 

For an energy company the customer service seems really good. Their app works really well and readings take longer opening the meter cupboard than entering. I think I could have saved £20 a year by switching this renewal so didn’t bother as it has been easy compared to previous providers

Exactly the same as al4x - we are now with Octopus - cannot fault them so far and certainly the cheapest + we get £50 for everybody that we recommend - the new customer also gets £50, so far we have "earned" £150 which, along with our Solar Panels means that our energy bills this year are tiny.

On 09/04/2019 at 14:56, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Most of the time the good deals are tied in to going through one of the comparison websites as that is how they make their money.

The Meerkats offered me half a dozen energy suppliers I’d never heard of, but then my current supplier - at over £100 cheaper than what they had offered me.

I rang my current supplier and was told that that particular tariff was *only* through the comparison site. Couldn’t charge direct? 

LS

On 09/04/2019 at 17:14, B725 said:

I have sent you a pm. https://share.octopus.energy/kiwi-mink-519.  Use this link to have a look I didn't think I could post it correctly, octapus is very easy to calculate and was the cheapest for me 

hello, i spoke to them yesterday so will see what my next readings are with SSE and annual usage  and go from there, 

On 11/04/2019 at 08:58, Luckyshot said:

Just tried octopus myself, they only came out £16 a year cheaper than British gas. Not worth the hassle of changing for that.

Is that after the £50 if you use a recommendation link or would that be on top? 

You must be a very low user if that’s the saving as British Gas would add £23 a month to my £50 dd based on actual figures

6 minutes ago, Luckyshot said:

Before the £50 because that is just an incentive to join, yes I'm a very very low user.

hello, same here luckyshot, i am sure those who a high users of gas/electric can save money by switching, i shall still check out when the May reading is done, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper