Stop / start engines

30-6

27 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

That is not a get out of jail free arrangement. The risk increases the depreciation rate and the lease reflects it. Getting a new car on a PLP is crazy expensive unless you are offsetting it against a higher rate of income tax.  My step daughter does it and I just get too cross to talk to her about it.

Getting a new car is expensive period, getting them on PCP, Lease, Contract Hire, etc, is actually very cost effective otherwise millions of people wouldn't be doing it worldwide and the signs are the sector is only going to grow. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at the really big picture all of our recycling and fuel saving in general it is simply slightly slowing down the timescale for humans to make the planet inhabitable for our own species. Our population explosion seems to be being ignored by folk. Only a complete change in cultures leading to a significant reduction in world population will  reverse the damage so whilst it is great that folk feel better by doing their bit it is only really worth doing if we also work on fixing the root cause of the issues.

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

If you look at the really big picture all of our recycling and fuel saving in general it is simply slightly slowing down the timescale for humans to make the planet inhabitable for our own species. Our population explosion seems to be being ignored by folk. Only a complete change in cultures leading to a significant reduction in world population will  reverse the damage so whilst it is great that folk feel better by doing their bit it is only really worth doing if we also work on fixing the root cause of the issues.

Some would say controlling / reducing the population is simply slowing down the timescale for humans to make the planet uninhabitable. Given the population of the States use's resources equivalent to those from 4 planets. The answer has to be more technology solving this problem and all of this stuff is part of that journey. You won't need it of course when you switch to an EV. 

4 hours ago, 243deer said:

True enough. People blather on about CO2 emissions without the faintest idea that it was but a trace gas in 1950 and it's still a trace gas now. All the trace gases added together only amount to 0.1% of the atmosphere. Meanwhile the population today is almost 4 times bigger than 1950 and quite apart from the impact on resources, that alone contributes more greenhouse gases than than the entire world's transport systems including ships and aircraft.

26 minutes ago, Westward said:

True enough. People blather on about CO2 emissions without the faintest idea that it was but a trace gas in 1950 and it's still a trace gas now. All the trace gases added together only amount to 0.1% of the atmosphere. Meanwhile the population today is almost 4 times bigger than 1950 and quite apart from the impact on resources, that alone contributes more greenhouse gases than than the entire world's transport systems including ships and aircraft.

A good post :good:

12 hours ago, Vince Green said:

My 11 year old 1.6 HDI van does 55-60 mpg on its regular run to Wales, or now Cornwall. That's why I have kept it so long.

I can get 30mpg out of my 5.5 litre V8 Mercedes SL55 on the same run if I don't misbehave. They have a very high top gear, engine is barely over tickover at 70 .

On a 50-60 mph run I get 38-50mpg . It’s 3ton and 215 tyres compared to a Peugeot hdi and a lot bigger van so I know it’ll never be amazing but most of my driving is 2 miles to work through the town . 

The mrs fiesta is getting 56-65 mpg around the town which is pretty cool :) 

On 12/04/2019 at 09:11, Vince Green said:

this^^^^^ it knackers the starter motor and eventually the ring gear which is an engine out job costing four figures on most modern cars.

That's if you can find a mechanic capable/willing to do the replacement these days 

No need to remove the engine to change the ring gear, gearbox off and remove clutch and flywheel or torque convertor on and auto,  very few cars need to have the engine removed to do that sort of thing

• 3 weeks later...

As I understand it. If you have a pre-selector Auto. Box and it is engaged but the car is stationery. Without stop start the clutches will be wearing out.

However I find when the engine restarts, there can be a big jolt which is probably causing damage to the rest of the  drivetrain.

I have also just had to fit a new Stop Start battery at a cost of £124 instead of £85 for a non Start Stop engine in only 3 1/2 years. So the extra cost of ownership for me has outweighed any fuel saving and with battery manufacture and disposal costs, has wiped out any C02 savings.

8 hours ago, Tooold2care said:

As I understand it. If you have a pre-selector Auto. Box and it is engaged but the car is stationery. Without stop start the clutches will be wearing out.

However I find when the engine restarts, there can be a big jolt which is probably causing damage to the rest of the  drivetrain.

I have also just had to fit a new Stop Start battery at a cost of £124 instead of £85 for a non Start Stop engine in only 3 1/2 years. So the extra cost of ownership for me has outweighed any fuel saving and with battery manufacture and disposal costs, has wiped out any C02 savings.

Yes, assuming that in three and a half years you didn't in fact save at least £39 in fuel and that the bigger battery did in fact cause the increased CO2 discharges (that would negate your three and a half years worth of saved discharges), I just don't know how any one of us could possibly know these figures. 

Well yes. I have done some sums on this. It works out that  I have notionally saved £166 by having stop start over 17,300 miles. The cost of the battery brings that down to between  £131 and only £42. That is because my wife has an almost identical but older car to mine but without Stop Start. The battery on this car is going strong and showing no sign of needing to be changed. There is also the matter of future wear and tear. Only time will tell.

The up side is there is a C02 saving of 224 kg's but the life usage of the battery is 80 kg so a net saving of 144 kg's