more boiler problems!!

Archie-fox

morning all,

so after my last post about our boiler loosing pressure, we exchanged the pressure vessel, after a day the pressure was down again so on advice of our plumber we decided to go for a new boiler and rads with new valves, as you can guess after £2500 on a new baxi boiler and rads i was more than angry to find a day later zero pressure, its loosing 1.5 bar per day so after 3 weeks if there was a leak on the system im sure we would have found a wet patch somewhere, we have checked as much piping as possible id say 80% and no leaks, the rest of the  piping is under floor boards in ceiling, ive phoned the plumber again this morning and hes said, "theirs nothing i can do"  and left it at that... has anyone got any ideas?? what should i do regarding the plumber just washing his hands of it? cheers for any help!!

check outside to see if the overflow pipe is dripping..........if it is ....the valve is not seating properly............these valves in hardwater areas are notorious for not seating properly if played with........as they are spring loaded..

15 minutes ago, Archie-fox said:

morning all,

so after my last post about our boiler loosing pressure, we exchanged the pressure vessel, after a day the pressure was down again so on advice of our plumber we decided to go for a new boiler and rads with new valves, as you can guess after £2500 on a new baxi boiler and rads i was more than angry to find a day later zero pressure, its loosing 1.5 bar per day so after 3 weeks if there was a leak on the system im sure we would have found a wet patch somewhere, we have checked as much piping as possible id say 80% and no leaks, the rest of the  piping is under floor boards in ceiling, ive phoned the plumber again this morning and hes said, "theirs nothing i can do"  and left it at that... has anyone got any ideas?? what should i do regarding the plumber just washing his hands of it? cheers for any help!!

hello, sorry to hear this Archie, is the plumber registered ? or registered with  Baxi boiler Co ?   go online and see if there is any feed back from previous customers, if you cannot see any leaks from pipework or wet patches on ceiling what about the boiler over flow pipe to the out side wall, ? it is very frustrating when these things happen  as i know only to well, can you say what model Baxi boiler ? 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, sorry to hear this Archie, is the plumber registered ? or registered with  Baxi boiler Co ?   go online and see if there is any feed back from previous customers, if you cannot see any leaks from pipework or wet patches on ceiling what about the boiler over flow pipe to the out side wall, ? it is very frustrating when these things happen  as i know only to well, can you say what model Baxi boiler ? 

its a brand new baxi 400 boiler, nothing i can see dripping..

1 minute ago, Swinton said:

My system has a minor leak somewhere.all I did was put a bottle of radiator seal in the system had no problems. Since .

Mine used to loose its pressure overnight .have you tried that yet 

not as yet as the boiler and rads are a week old

It could be a joint somewhere with just a slight leak a combi system does not hold a lot of water and does not have to loose much 

for pressure to drop .once the pressure drops it stops leaking .you will has a hell of a job finding it .for  what it cost 

I would try a leak sealant .

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, have you registered the boiler yet for warranty or did plumber do ? 

the plumber said he would do that for me, worst thing is hes a friend and i feel hes led me up the garden path a little bit...

4 minutes ago, Swinton said:

It could be a joint somewhere with just a slight leak a combi system does not hold a lot of water and does not have to loose much 

for pressure to drop .once the pressure drops it stops leaking .you will has a hell of a job finding it .for  what it cost 

yea when i top it up the needle jumps from 0.5 bar to 3 bar then settles to about 1.5 bar in a second or so...

3 minutes ago, Archie-fox said:

the plumber said he would do that for me, worst thing is hes a friend and i feel hes led me up the garden path a little bit...

yea when i top it up the needle jumps from 0.5 bar to 3 bar then settles to about 1.5 bar in a second or so...

hello, oh well that is not  good,  anyway Archie did he fill in the Baxi boiler Benchmark commissioning checklist paper work and leave with you when he finished installing the heating system ? with this you can register the warranty online with Baxi  yourself

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, oh well that is not  good,  anyway Archie did he fill in the Baxi boiler Benchmark commissioning checklist paper work and leave with you when he finished installing the heating system ? with this you can register the warranty online with Baxi  yourself

he took the paperwork and said he would drop it all off this week with the gas safety cert..

ill wait for the paperwork then get another plumber to give it all a once over and bill the first plumber for any further work..

25 minutes ago, Archie-fox said:

he took the paperwork and said he would drop it all off this week with the gas safety cert..

ill wait for the paperwork then get another plumber to give it all a once over and bill the first plumber for any further work..

hello, i would get that paperwork A S A P, you only have 30 days to register warranty from date in installation, if you go that way of a plumber checking heating my advice would be a gas heating engineer as i know from past experience, maybe there is one on PW near you ? i do hope you can get all this sorted Archie, 

You haven’t got any pipework for the downstairs curcuit buried in concrete floor have you that could be leaking and won’t show . If you have had a new boiler and rads , that only leaves original heating pipework that could be leaking , I would say your heating chap has made a mistake , did he pressure test original pipework before saying you need new boiler . I would have filled boiler to 1 bar pressure turned valves off under boiler and seen if it dropped that would have ruled out exsisting boiler 

8 hours ago, Swinton said:

Like I said try some leak sealant first .will not hurt any part of system 

I have never liked the only fit new boiler and rads that some do.

If the rads are knackered the pipework needs changing also. The solder dries out in the joints the pipes wear thin where they rub on joists and walls.

If you can't find the leak try leak seal,your not looking anything by doing it. Other than that it means exposing and checking every bit of pipe.

17 hours ago, basset said:

You haven’t got any pipework for the downstairs curcuit buried in concrete floor have you that could be leaking and won’t show . If you have had a new boiler and rads , that only leaves original heating pipework that could be leaking , I would say your heating chap has made a mistake , did he pressure test original pipework before saying you need new boiler . I would have filled boiler to 1 bar pressure turned valves off under boiler and seen if it dropped that would have ruled out exsisting boiler 

i would go with this definitely sounds like a leak somewhere

I had a extension done and 2 new rads fitted .then I got a slight pressure drop every day .had to repressure every morning.put rad seal in

no problem since.was not going to rip floor up to check .not pressurerised for about 5 month .