more boiler problems!!

Archie-fox

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 20:14, Swinton said:

Like I said try some leak sealant first .will not hurt any part of system 

leak was before and after boiler and rad valves were changed so only thing left is pipework in upstairs floors leak would be visible on ceilings , down stairs floors ? if had an extension sometimes the pipes are cast in concrete / screed without being wrapped hence acid eats the copper and as suggested use some rad weld in the system you should be good  the plumber was quick to change the boiler, first place to look for are the packing glands on the non thermostat valves on each rad weep when hot but not cold , pressure dump valve in the boiler next put a balloon on the exhaust pipe usually turned inwards on an exterior wall if it catches water swop the valve , sorry you are out of pocket you should be having a serious chat with your plumber as he was brought in to fix a leaking issue 

Edited by Saltings

As has been said, with combi boilers, a very small leak on a rad valve, joint or anywhere in the system will lose pressure but may be undetectable due to the water evaporating when hot. Radiator sealant as suggested would be your best bet, but the original plumber should be approached who really should not have advised replacement of boiler and rads etc without further investigation. For him to say that there was nothing more that he could do was really disgraceful and most unprofessional in my view.

I trust that he was Gas Safe registered.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

Have you paid the plumber?

If not don't.

I wouldn't expect to be paid if I had done the job.

If you had asked someone to come and change your boiler as you just wanted new then that's one thing but you asked him to fix a leak, accepted his solution and now it's now worked. He has fitted a boiler which is not working correctly and I would ask that it does before he is paid.

You could maybe come to an agreement about extra costs of extra work but he really should have exhausted all possibilities before telling you that you needed a new boiler.

I wouldn't add rad sealant. I'm not a fan, it's not fixing the problem, it's a last resort as far as I'm concerned.

I would suggest that he should have pressure tested before suggesting a new boiler. Now he needs to isolate sections of pipework and test/eliminate each in turn until the problem is found.

Taking down sections of ceiling and repairing may be a PITA but would have been cheaper than new boiler, now it has to be done anyway.

Edd

What a relief to get it sorted. 

If its any consolation I had my house here completely rebuilt including 4k for a new boiler. For the first year it broke down every month loosing water. Only when the builder got the manufacturer in to look at it did they discover that it needed an extra expansion vessel given the water volume.  I was ready to sell the house it was that much of a pain. 😞