Practical help needed.

JDog

A friend of Ginger Cat has started a side line business importing flappers and other decoying stuff from China. We tried the first two prototypes out on peas last summer and both broke down.

Another attempt has been made. This flapper is very bulky and in my view the hooks on it do not face the right way whichever way the flapper is inserted into the ground. I have had it working on my work bench with pigeons on it and the present arrangement of the hooks is unsatisfactory. I have no way of knowing the tensile strength of the material used for the flappers rods but I would like to twist them round to the correct position. This flapper is not mine so I will have to be careful. Heating the rods may not be possible with my limited facilities as I do not have a workshop like that of Ditchman.

Any helpful suggestions?

Flapper.jpg

Hi JDog, I hold the wings in position on the Hook,with rubber bands, loop it round the bar below and back in itself put the wing on the hook then come over the wing with the band and onto the hook. I use that method on the magnet and  flapper if I ever use it which is very rare. I hope this helps and prevents any mechanical manipulation. 

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

all you need is a MAPP gas burner....and a pair of pliers......go to screwfix...............dont ask me anything else this evening as whitebridges brought a load more wine around for me and im testing it out

bye 

Has he put a life insurance policy on you?

25 minutes ago, ditchman said:

all you need is a MAPP gas burner....and a pair of pliers......go to screwfix...............dont ask me anything else this evening as whitebridges brought a load more wine around for me and im testing it out

bye 

Chilean keynotes !

23 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Has he put a life insurance policy on you?

No insurable interest unfortunately.     

On 10/04/2019 at 17:08, pigeon controller said:

Hi JDog, I hold the wings in position on the Hook,with rubber bands, loop it round the bar below and back in itself put the wing on the hook then come over the wing with the band and onto the hook. I use that method on the magnet and  flapper if I ever use it which is very rare. I hope this helps and prevents any mechanical manipulation. 

On 11/04/2019 at 19:52, deny essex said:

Buy and use a food bag or garden plant twist ties, cheap and simple.

On 10/04/2019 at 20:26, marsh man said:

Would it been possible to leave it as it is and put a crocodile clip on the wing joint once it have been attached ?

All practical solutions from those who have been there and who know.

OB

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

You forgot the solution from ditchman, which I thought was one of the best suggestions.

I agree, Ditchman`s solution was a good practical solution, but we are talking about JDog here, who, by his own admission, has `limited facilities`, whatever they are. :hmm: No good for Fat Sarah methinks. :no:

OB

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2019 at 17:16, Old Boggy said:

I agree, Ditchman`s solution was a good practical solution, but we are talking about JDog here, who, by his own admission, has `limited facilities`, whatever they are.  No good for Fat Sarah methinks. 

OB

"facilities "................or "faculties"...............

hello, i would only think the 2 out rods are made from mild steel, as with simon suggested to with a bit of heat you should be able to twist round the hooks below the washer, pair of molegrips a few inches below washer and use your pliers to cover the hook heat to about cherry red color and twist to your ideal position, and leave to cool off, if you can do this and all works ok i would make a note or drawing and get gingercats friend to contact the chinese company and ask them to change the rod hook position in manufacture, or if you find as  mentioned above works and has no affect on the rods he can do that before they are sold on 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

23 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i would only think the 2 out rods are made from mild steel, as with simon suggested to with a bit of heat you should be able to twist round the hooks below the washer, pair of molegrips a few inches below washer and use your pliers to cover the hook heat to about cherry red color and twist to your ideal position, and leave to cool off, if you can do this and all works ok i would make a note or drawing and get gingercats friend to contact the chinese company and ask them to change the rod hook position in manufacture, or if you find as  mentioned above works and has no affect on the rods he can do that before they are sold on 

just a thought if you feel unable to try, is there a black smith near as i am sure they could do for you, 

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Thank you. I will pass your message onto Ginger Cat.

hello JD, i got a pm from your friend reference the flapper rods,  have check out all the flappers i found for sale and these rods have all been made straight but some come off the motors at different angle but not the hook,  so is it just the hook that for you requires to be at a different angle ? if so they may be an easier solution to heating and bending rod, cheers   

Edited by oldypigeonpopper