Buying ammo from USA

Shug1

Hi I’m going to USA in a few months, I just found out that I can buy ammo and bring it over here, flight is united airline and the allow you to bring ammo onto plane as long as u have it in a lock box, thing is would I have to declare this even tho I don’t get a random search, and plus how do I get this put onto my ticket, do I just do it myself 

Sorry I don’t have 17wsm, just the 22lr and 243, plus sg, 

3 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I am from the US, what is the FAC ticket you are talking about?  Can you bring me a greener GP shotgun? 

That’s what I have mate 22lr and 243

You cannot bring ammunition, or firearms into the UK from the USA. Importing into the UK isn't the issue, it's exporting from the US that is the issue.

Get an officious US customs officer and your day is going to end badly, miss your flight, face a fine or worse, really not worth the risk. 

Bullets possibly but again, I wouldn't , complete cartridges? Forget it. 

6 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I am from the US, what is the FAC ticket you are talking about?  Can you bring me a greener GP shotgun? 

A FAC is a Firearms Certificate, it's also referred to as a Section 1 or S1. It's what you need to own rifles (Inc. Air rifles over 12ft/lbs) and high capacity shotguns. Its like a pistol permit in some states. 

Its generally slightly harder to get than a SGC (shotgun certificate) as you need to show 'good reason' to own what you want. In practice this isn't as hard as it sounds, it basically boils down to stating what you want and proving you have somewhere to use it. 

Rifle ammunition (and slugs) are S1 and limits on ownership are imposed by the FAC. Sales are controlled and must be recorded. 

No such restrictions on shotgun cartridges though. Although you may start to fall foul of explosive storage laws if you have over 10,000 or so.... 

1 hour ago, mick miller said:

You cannot bring ammunition, or firearms into the UK from the USA. Importing into the UK isn't the issue, it's exporting from the US that is the issue.

Get an officious US customs officer and your day is going to end badly, miss your flight, face a fine or worse, really not worth the risk. 

Bullets possibly but again, I wouldn't , complete cartridges? Forget it. 

This ^^^^

don't even think about it unless you like wearing orange

Edited by Vince Green

44 minutes ago, Lord v said:

A FAC is a Firearms Certificate, it's also referred to as a Section 1 or S1. It's what you need to own rifles (Inc. Air rifles over 12ft/lbs) and high capacity shotguns. Its like a pistol permit in some states. 

Its generally slightly harder to get than a SGC (shotgun certificate) as you need to show 'good reason' to own what you want. In practice this isn't as hard as it sounds, it basically boils down to stating what you want and proving you have somewhere to use it. 

Rifle ammunition (and slugs) are S1 and limits on ownership are imposed by the FAC. Sales are controlled and must be recorded. 

No such restrictions on shotgun cartridges though. Although you may start to fall foul of explosive storage laws if you have over 10,000 or so.... 

So you have to have a permit to buy ammo?  Is it a annual thing or one time and your done? 

7 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

If you want a greener gp try emailing a uk firearms dealer 

they maybe familiar with the export from uk import to USA regulators 

im sure it’s achievable but it’s going to cost more than the gun 

10 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

So you have to have a permit to buy ammo?  Is it a annual thing or one time and your done? 

You have a maximum amount of each caliber you can purchase at any time and a maximum amount you can have in your possession 

ie purchase 200 possession 250 

so you can’t stockpile ammunition you must use it before you purchase more 

hope this helps 

6 minutes ago, Robertt said:

Unless you really want to bring a whole world of poo on your head, I wouldn't bother.

In this present  climate the American authorities will want to speak to you at length. 

As would the Special branch when you land in the UK.

This, ever since Eric Holder and the Obama administration got caught selling guns to the drug cartels.  Things are getting tight.  Plus people are starting to notice Isis fighting with M16s and huvees. 

15 hours ago, Swinton said:

Ask your feo he should now.if you have to pay import tax they would cheaper to buy here I would have thought and no hassle 

Your FEO will be clueless on this matter. It's US law, not UK.

From the DDTC Response Team (U.S.)

Mr. XXX;

We often get this question from people planning a visit to the United States.  Here is how US law works:

We are the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, part of the US Department of State, and we are responsible for regulating the export of defense products – which include firearms but a lot of other industries as well.  Our regulatory authority covers the products found under the twenty categories of the US Munitions List, on our web site at  https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=70e390c181ea17f847fa696c47e3140a&mc=true&r=PART&n=pt22.1.121
Firearms and firearms components are Category I on that list. 

In order to export any product on the US Munitions List, including a firearm, from the US, it is necessary to have an approved export permit, or export “license”, from our Directorate.  The only ones who can apply for such a permit are those who fall into one of these three categories:

•       US Citizens,
•       Permanent residents of the US, or
•       US companies who are registered with our Directorate as exporters.

If someone doesn’t fit into one of those categories, then the only way to obtain these items would be to do one of the following:

(1)     Buy them from a US company that is registered with us as an exporter, for that US company to ship to you in Britain.  The US company would apply to our Directorate for the necessary export license, and if it is approved, they would then send the items to you in the UK, through US and UK Customs.  Or:

(2)     Buy them in the UK from a British company that has a business relationship with a US company that is registered with us as an exporter, and sells things to the British company, with our authorization, for commercial re-sale in the UK.

If the item in question is not for sale in the UK, then it would appear that you have only Option (1). 

John Hall
PM Response Team

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

If you want a greener gp try emailing a uk firearms dealer 

they maybe familiar with the export from uk import to USA regulators 

im sure it’s achievable but it’s going to cost more than the gun 

You have a maximum amount of each caliber you can purchase at any time and a maximum amount you can have in your possession 

ie purchase 200 possession 250 

so you can’t stockpile ammunition you must use it before you purchase more 

hope this helps 

Gotcha,  I was wondering about that. 

10 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Man I’m jealous,  I want a martini Henry 12g so bad.  

PM wabittbosher..............he's yer man....he will even to you a 2 for 1 special

most of the 2nd hand greeners ended up being bought by Richard Gallyon and sold to the Indian police force

Edited by ditchman

with this brexit carry on we all may be shipping ammo back in  containers 40 footers  at 26 tons       for the plane i was allowed   2 kilos in a  locked box wot i think was then given to captain if its rifles take out the bolt and give him that   do  not carry it loose in your bag      i went to h and s presision in south dakota and got 3 made   rifles in 223 and 243 and 22 250    and spare barrels and  brought them back   paid vat and duty at manchester    that  priery dog shooting was good

On 12/04/2019 at 13:15, propercartridges said:

with this brexit carry on we all may be shipping ammo back in  containers 40 footers  at 26 tons       for the plane i was allowed   2 kilos in a  locked box wot i think was then given to captain if its rifles take out the bolt and give him that   do  not carry it loose in your bag      i went to h and s presision in south dakota and got 3 made   rifles in 223 and 243 and 22 250    and spare barrels and  brought them back   paid vat and duty at manchester    that  priery dog shooting was good

George,

am am I reading that correctly- you had h&s build and sell you three rifles which you then brought back here?  How long ago was that?

thanks,

for ick

On 12/04/2019 at 13:15, propercartridges said:

How much was your export licence for the rifles.  ??

I used to import custom made rifles into the UK from the USA 25yrs ago and the export licence was $50 per shipment. It then went up sharply to $250. Is it still the same.

A lot changed of course after 9/11 as well.

I took a rifle bolt back to Michigan for repair and declared it at Birmingham Airport. The head of security there on the day asked if he could use it and hid it somewhere in the luggage going through to see if it was spotted by the staff.

I got a thankyou on the plane and the bolt handed back.   Good old days.

Edited by Walker570