Do i need chokes?

Ryan W

So, i recently bought my son a double barrel SxS shotgun as he said he prefers it to the over and under. We brought it home and checked out the barells to see what chokes were in there, fixed or none. We used our choke checker and it seems they are just a full bore barrel. Now, this we know is great for a close range hide gun, however he is getting steadily better with the clay sessions and i’m wandering if it would be advisable to get the barrel tapped, and if it would be possible. 

Do any of you have any advice on what to do?

Regards, Ryan. 

My son is learning with a S/A using true cylinder and the one's he's missing, he's missed.

Just enjoy it and don't get involved in being obssed with chokes, which is a form of mental illness with some folk.

BTW if it's a small stepped  ' choke checker ' it may be way out !

13 hours ago, Ryan W said:

So, i recently bought my son a double barrel SxS shotgun as he said he prefers it to the over and under. We brought it home and checked out the barells to see what chokes were in there, fixed or none. We used our choke checker and it seems they are just a full bore barrel. Now, this we know is great for a close range hide gun, however he is getting steadily better with the clay sessions and i’m wandering if it would be advisable to get the barrel tapped, and if it would be possible. 

Regards, Ryan. 

Either stick with it, do a pattern test and see what youve got, or..

Get another gun, it'll work out cheaper than choking a non choked one.

14 hours ago, Ryan W said:

Regards, Ryan. 

Bit of a contradiction in terms here, "Full" is a degree of choke - the tightest 'standard' level. Or do you mean that the barrels are bored along their whole length at the nominal diameter of whatever calibre you bought and with no restriction at the muzzle?

If you mean its cylinder bore or no choke then don't worry about it. An ounce of 7 is good to 40 yards on pigeon and the pattern should also be good.

If you mean its full/full choke ie the max then he will find it harder to shoot as the pattern is considerably tighter and the range with size 6 or 5 won't have increased very much to make it worthwhile. 

That said choke gauges aren't very reliable to start with. 

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Bit of a contradiction in terms here, "Full" is a degree of choke - the tightest 'standard' level. Or do you mean that the barrels are bored along their whole length at the nominal diameter of whatever calibre you bought and with no restriction at the muzzle?

Yes, it is open choke. No restriction. 

1 hour ago, motty said:

Why would you buy a gun and then check if it was fixed choke?

To see what it was as we wanted to know??

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, that depends on what chokes the gun has, what you are shooting, and what cartridge you are using, start with the gun make and model, photo of markings on barrel  flat, 

Well it’s open choke, aka no choke at all, it’s usually superfast pigeon, and about 30 gram 6’s. 

Just now, Scully said:

It doesn't matter now of course, as you've bought it, but I find it hard to believe a gunshop wouldn't or couldn't tell you what restrictions it had, if any !  Did you not ask? 

No, as the shop was extrememly busy. And we had a checker from an old semi

29 minutes ago, Ryan W said:

So what range would he be looking at shooting out to?

Through open chokes shot size 7 and 1 oz will pattern (should pattern) well and have sufficient power to kill pigeon at 40 yards. 

Size 6 has less pellets as they are physically bigger and  it may be a sparse pattern. There's only 1 way to find out. Pattern it. 

18 hours ago, Ryan W said:

Regards, Ryan. 

44 minutes ago, Ryan W said:

Yes, it is open choke. No restriction. 

To see what it was as we wanted to know??

36 minutes ago, Ryan W said:

No, it was at a gun shop but wasn’t listed on the tag  

33 minutes ago, Ryan W said:

Well it’s open choke, aka no choke at all, it’s usually superfast pigeon, and about 30 gram 6’s. 

No, as the shop was extrememly busy. And we had a checker from an old semi

How did you establish it was open choked?

What is the "checker" from an old semi that you have?

With a PLUG GAUGE or actually measuring the bore and the choke?

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

How did you establish it was open choked?

What is the "checker" from an old semi that you have?

With a PLUG GAUGE or actually measuring the bore and the choke?

It’s like a round gold thing with sizes on it

2 minutes ago, bornfree said:

That will only give you a rough idea. You need someone with a bore gauge to measure choke accurately

And as well as measuring things properly a pattern plate session and counting of the pellet strikes will give the percentages of choke in your sons gun and cartridge combination.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And as well as measuring things properly a pattern plate session and counting of the pellet strikes will give the percentages of choke in your sons gun and cartridge combination.

Thanks. So i guess the main take from this is a fully open choke gun will kill. Okay. Thanks guys👍

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH > The  choke thing again . 

Just shoot the damned thing with the same cartridges and enjoy .

Thats all you need to do .

Please lets have an end to this obsession .Its a creeping metal illness that seems to affect shooters  for which there is no known cure .