Do i need chokes?

Ryan W

Just now, Gunman said:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH > The  choke thing again . 

Just shoot the damned thing with the same cartridges and enjoy .

Thats all you need to do .

Please lets have an end to this obsession .Its a creeping metal illness that seems to affect shooters  for which there is no known cure .

So you think it best that everyone should just shoot cylinder choke at everything?

How about (as radical as it sounds ) 

Shoot it at some large card .see the size of the pattern and think ooooh .if i set my decoys at   x - range that would be about perfect for the correct shot density with this cart .

Job done. 

Who cares what the offical choke is .

If its wide set the deeks a bit closer. 

If its a bit tight set them further out 

Peace out 

As has been said, it's well worth spending a few minutes with a pattern plate. This for one good reason. There are two types of True Cylinder (TC) choke. One is a performance and one is a measurement. If the pattern plate tells you that you have a TC choke then I'l wager Gunman's next week's pension that the barrels have a few points of choke in them. If you pattern a truly TC barrel, I'll make the same wager that in all probability you will not make the recognised TC performance level. I don't believe that 28g of 7s will consistently kill a pigeon at 40 yards assuming a TC performance and that therefore a truly TC bored barrel most certainly won't either.

ABOVE! This is the answer .

Do not get hung up about chokes just use it, if you think he is lacking confidence, then pattern it with a few different loads perhaps try fibre wad pick something with a nice even pattern at the range your intending using it.

Edited by lancer425

A few observations. I shoot a number of old guns with no choke, including muzzle loaders and kill as many if not more than average on driven days at sensible ranges ie 30 yards or so.

secondly I bought my daughter a beretta silver pigeon and she shoots clays and game with me and I have put cylinder in both barrels.

lastly I shoot a 20/28 gauge and have cylinder and improved in both sets of barrels. When on the bird it busts clays no problem including the high tower.

find a cartridge you like, pattern it at 25 yards so you know what is happening and just enjoy your shooting. Choke can be helpful at longer ranges but at most normal ranges you will do as well if not better without it.

41 minutes ago, wymberley said:

As has been said, it's well worth spending a few minutes with a pattern plate. This for one good reason. There are two types of True Cylinder (TC) choke. One is a performance and one is a measurement. If the pattern plate tells you that you have a TC choke then I'l wager Gunman's next week's pension that the barrels have a few points of choke in them. If you pattern a truly TC barrel, I'll make the same wager that in all probability you will not make the recognised TC performance level. I don't believe that 28g of 7s will consistently kill a pigeon at 40 yards assuming a TC performance and that therefore a truly TC bored barrel most certainly won't either.

If 28g of 7's won't do it due to pattern (ballistics tell us its got the power) then less shot (hence worse pattern) won't help. 

A pattern plate will reveal all. 

10 hours ago, Ryan W said:

Thanks. So i guess the main take from this is a fully open choke gun will kill. Okay. Thanks guys👍

It will kill reliably to a certain distance.

10 hours ago, Gunman said:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH > The  choke thing again . 

Just shoot the damned thing with the same cartridges and enjoy .

Thats all you need to do .

Please lets have an end to this obsession .Its a creeping metal illness that seems to affect shooters  for which there is no known cure .

:lol::lol:

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Shoot it at some large card .see the size of the pattern and think ooooh .if i set my decoys at   x - range that would be about perfect for the correct shot density with this cart .

Job done. 

Peace out 

^^ That's about the best you can do at this stage. ^^

True cylinder is scatter gun at its finest truest meaning (no such thing as funnel or negative choke, not in actual performance anyway), the only way you'll "reliably" kill birds at 40 yards is if you decoy them in to half that distance which is going to be hard on a driven day. 

6 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Why haven't you checked the barrels for the stars (usually used on S/S) stamped at the same place as the proof marks. That will give the barrel choke sizes on each barrel!

Perhaps when new, but no indication if the chokes have been opened up/removed completely.

Open chokes are fine and can help to inspire confidence for a youngster if used at sensible ranges.

Ryan, just get your lad to use and enjoy the gun. Don't even mention chokes to him and he'll be none the wiser. It seems to be only the clay busters that get hung up over chokes.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Job done. 

Peace out 

If only pigeon shooting was that simple.

45 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Ryan, just get your lad to use and enjoy the gun. Don't even mention chokes to him and he'll be none the wiser. It seems to be only the clay busters that get hung up over chokes.

OB

I don't actually know what my son's Baikal is choked to, I thought it's a parameter I can't change so don't want to worry about.

£70 for the gun from Wabbitbosher and spent the money saved on practising. 

Chokes are like sheep dogs.:lol: they help a lot with a job but they are not essential . Phill Drabble with Jess has the same number of sheep in the field with or without the dog. And when jess picks them up starts them moving towards the pen those stragglers and stubborn ones get brought into line and she will get them in.

Phill without jess is like no choke , same number of sheep in the field same pen same distance if phill went at the same speed as jess he would get some that ran past the pen this happens when jess pushes them too fast they get exited and some run wide of the gate, but phill  with his bad right ankle pushes them at a slower rate and  he is in with a chance of getting a few more in with one pass than if he ran fast.

Choke is like this and with  no choke you want big fat sheep and push them slow and steady less chance of a stray this way,  sheep  like to follow one another plas wads are like sheep hurdles they help bunch them up a bit at the start. :lol: With jess and hurdles you can send them a bit quicker and even when you got liveley small lambs she is in with a chance of getting more in the pen than old Phill.

Strange but TRUE:innocent: i like more sheep dog :yes:.

8 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Why haven't you checked the barrels for the stars (usually used on S/S) stamped at the same place as the proof marks. That will give the barrel choke sizes on each barrel!

hello, i did mention this with photo then once known will be able to have an idea of a suitable cartridge, those chokes tools only give a general measurement, Ryan being a new member on this fine forum will i am sure take on board all the information given and with his son get out there and go  SHOOTING,