Easily interchangable recoil pad?

humperdingle

I recently picked up a nice little .410, with the intention of having it available for adults to use, but also for smaller frame people and kids.

The length of pull is around 14” with the original 1” thick vented pad - Ideal for me - but I can shorten the LOP by an inch just by removing the pad - Ideal for shorter shooters.

So the question is... how can I make it so the stock can be switched from shorter to longer very quickly?

I did try velcro, which works really well but sometimes a little ‘too’ well, and it was difficult to remove the pad without peeling off the sticky velcro.

Any tips? Magnets set into the pad/stock?

17 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

I fit inserts in the stock and use 2 short machine screws easy and ultra stable easy to change as well. 

I have done this on a gun for a shooting ground . Cut down to 13" then several doweled and screwed  butt pads made to give lengths up to 15&1/2" .

For your use this is by far the simplest and most practical way and can be done with a single Allen screw . 

Forget about recoil pads and just have the pads made of wood .  

2 hours ago, humperdingle said:

Thanks guys - I’m trying to steer clear of any type of screw fitment tbh... Ideally, it’d be a case of removing the pad in a couple of seconds, hence the magnet idea.

Not going to work .The pad or what ever needs to be firmly attached otherwise there is the risk of it moving which will be unsafe .

The only suggestions I could make would be that the stock is shortened and made off  , with two long metal inserts fitted to take  a closely fitted and profiled extension pad with prongs  that will slot into the inserts ,these would need to be at least 1&1/2" long in my opinion and would really need some form of lock /release catch to prevent them from coming out .   Or you could go down the line of having dovetailed rails fitted into which a pad of the desired length could be slotted with a ball catch type of retainer . 

i

Edited by Gunman

9 hours ago, Gunman said:

I have done this on a gun for a shooting ground . Cut down to 13" then several doweled and screwed  butt pads made to give lengths up to 15&1/2" .

For your use this is by far the simplest and most practical way and can be done with a single Allen screw . 

Exactly how I do it on coaches guns gives great flexibility and lasts. 

11 hours ago, Gunman said:

Would you have any pics of this setup?

No it was the sort of thing you just did and at the time  could see no reason to take pictures of . 

Basically shorten the stock , fit two metal tubes with a bore diameter of 1/4 " into the but end and a nut in the center .

Then make a but plate with two corresponding prongs that will slide into the tubes and a retained Allen headed screw in the center that will have about 1/2" of exposed thread .

Either fit pads in different thicknesses to a flat end or you could shape  up at the shortest length [basically just round of the edges ] and then profile the longer pad to fit snugly onto it , several ways to do this and bedding with epoxy may be simplest .

Edited by Gunman

On 12/04/2019 at 14:53, welshwarrior said:

I fit inserts in the stock and use 2 short machine screws easy and ultra stable easy to change as well. 

That is exactly what I used, except for the Corporate jobs where time seems to be the most important thing,  then the leather slip on pad and the Beretta gel comb raiser came into their own.