Roe buck body weight

oowee

Last week I shot a Roe buck clean four pointer with a nice head, but I thought  nothing overly special and 41lb van weight.

Today I took one first thing and left the head on as I had planned to take it home first. As I was passing the dealer I called and agreed to drop it over. As I was removing a somewhat troublesome head (image.gif.54d2a09aca7e94161c69bf7b2e7bec74.gif:ninja:) the dealer came out and gave me a master class in head removal. He said that,s a nice head, as I put the animal on the scales at 30lb. Are you going to mount it? I then told him I don't generally bother with the trophy stuff and would just put the antler in a box. 

He then told me it's too good to do that with it, as it's an old animal and will make at least a bronze if not silver. I really have no interest in the trophy's, other than anything bigger than the three in the shed will get mounted to replace the smallest. What surprised me is that I took the antler to be again nothing special and as the animal was clearly not very large, dismissed the possibility that the head was anything but average. 

So am i right assuming that there is almost no relationship between body weight and head quality? 

11419head2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mickeydredd said:

I don't think there is a correlation, I believe body weight will be determined by food availability and the antlers are more to do with the minerals available.

Yep small bucks can have medal heads and huge bucks rubbish heads.

I think to grow medal heads there must be plenty minerals available but a lot is down to the gene pool I think.

Up North where I am we get massive body weights but no medal heads , its just not in the genetics up here.

Biggest buck I have shot weighed 61 lb gralloched but was sporting a rubbish head.

Well done anyway as its still a nice head but looks like it lacks weight.

2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Yep small bucks can have medal heads and huge bucks rubbish heads.

I think to grow medal heads there must be plenty minerals available but a lot is down to the gene pool I think.

Up North where I am we get massive body weights but no medal heads , its just not in the genetics up here.

Biggest buck I have shot weighed 61 lb gralloched but was sporting a rubbish head.

Well done anyway as its still a nice head but looks like it lacks weight.

61LB no head no legs (van weight) ? That is a big animal. Largest I have had was 47lb van weight. I had another tonight that looked quite tidy. No picture but I will get one in the morning. 

Absolutely no connection to body size and antler size.

Biggest 2 i have shot scored 167 and 157 and both were under 17kg with the big lad just over 16kg.

The heaviest ive seen was 23.5kg and he ended up being a bronze,and he was an ancient beast going well back.

Nice even head the one you have,get him boiled and let us know the weight for a better idea on what he will score.

🙂 I only have room in my shed for a few so anything bigger than what I have will get done and mounted to replace one of the others, the rest get sawn off and put in a box for sales. The dealer wanted this one so I sold it to him he reckons they are worth doing and selling but I would rather do something else to be honest. 

There is only so much of this stuff you want and my wife won't have it in the house.