for a change

ditchman

since finding out i have severe gluten intolerance........i have since made the effort to eat proper food lots of vedge and stews ...bit of steak now and then.....no shop bought pre-prepared foods....

anyway now and again i give my stomach a rest.....to that end a couple of weeks ago i bought a egg poacher......

last night i used it..............it started to steam....popped two knobs of butter in it...and a couple of large barnfresh eggs with a twist of black pepper .....2 bits of gluten free bread in the toaster....poached eggs for 6 mins.....turned them out onto the buttered toast  ..sprinkle of maldon salt and a shake of white pepper

all very simple and i really enjoyed it havnt had proper poached eggs for donkey years...:good:

6 minutes!

Weren't they hard poached?

Yours is my wife's method of poaching eggs.

I prefer the old school method of:-

Small saucepan, water on to a gentle simmer, splash of vinegar, swirl the water with a spoon to get a vortex, crack a very fresh egg into the centre of the vortex. Poach for about 3 1/2 minutes until the white is fully set and the yolk lovely and runny. Fish out with a slotted spoon and place lovingly on a slice of well buttered wholemeal toast.

Had the same for my breakfast this morning did it the old way tho in the pan with the water swirling drop of vinegar in there to help it along three minutes on a light simmer perfect eggs!

Have a look at sainsburys for gluten free ranges my sister suffers from it & rates some of the products from there. Also b&m have a small section of gluten free products as well!  Sainsburys do a gluten free larger which goes well with a packet of seebrook crisps also gluten free 

Apart from the classic poached egg on toast, here is a Middle Eastern variant of beans on toast or rice and beans.

I can of mixed beans in brine (most supermarkets do one),

a clove of garlic,

a little olive oil,

chopped fresh parsley and fresh coriander

Cumin and chopped fresh chilli to taste if you like it spicy.

Crush the garlic and fry it with the chilli and cumin, briefly, in the oil, add the beans and warm through, adding the chopped parsley and coriander at the end.

Poach an egg to have a runny yolk.

Serve the beans on a bed of rice or toasted bread with the egg on top, so that the runny yolk soaks through the beans

Edited by amateur
Forgot the cumin

6 mins in a poacher gives you a egg with a soft running centre without the snot.....................6 mins in a pan of boiling water will give you something very hard

poached egg and sparrows****................yesssssirrreeeee...........:drool:

51 minutes ago, ditchman said:

6 mins in a poacher gives you a egg with a soft running centre without the snot.....................

Ok, then, in that case my wife must be putting them in the poacher for 1/2 hour!

15 minutes ago, amateur said:

Ok, then, in that case my wife must be putting them in the poacher for 1/2 hour!

tried it twice.............5 mins and it looked done but it still had clear snot in it...which will make me barf...so tried 6 mins .....just right for me ..not fully hard boiled................i like egg mayo so i will do them at 8mins let em cool then mayo...black pepper chopped chives and a sprinkle of paprika..............lush..:drool:

13 hours ago, figgy said:

I adore runny poached eggs on poached smoked Haddock with salt and white pepper and a thick slice of fresh crusty buttereduncut bread. Has to be white pepper with any eggs for me and black ground on anything else.

im excactly the same with pepper

My wife has just treated me to a birthday lunch at the Savoy Grill, first course was smoked cod brandade with a runny poached egg. Slightly snotty egg white. Should have suggested that they followed the Ditchman method.

The cocktails in the American Bar and the rest of the meal were sublime, so now we're on the train home, well relaxed. 😊