CROW advise please

indio

Can I please have the benefit of your collective knowledge in dealing with crows. I don't want to attract them I want to send them packing. The problem is at the bottom of my garden (outside my boundary ) there is a tall tree that is on ground that is being developed for housing. I have checked with the local F.O. who has said I can shoot them with a silenced air rifle ( I have licensed shotguns but live on an estate) providing I get the developers permission BUT in the event I don't get said permission, how can I get rid of them as they are making a mess everywhere (washing. patio, car etc).

I have bought a plastic owl and a plastic bird of prey with rotating heads (wind driven) as I read somewhere  they discourage crows. is that the case?

Where do I position them and should I use 1 or the other or both together?

your thoughts / comments please

I have a similar problem around a farmhouse. There is a big rookery on the adjacent property which is a second home to a couple from London. They won’t allow them and the other corvids to be shot so I have to wait until they land on the property of the farmhouse. It s a long slow and laborious job with with a minimum of success as obviously I can only shoot them when I’m there, and unfortunately I have to work for a living. 

Plastic owls don’t seem to be much of a deterrent in my experience, and can often work in reverse as corvids will often mob them.

The mess they make in large numbers has to be seen to be appreciated; vehicles covered in **** on a daily basis, as is the kids trampoline and any washing hanging out to dry. 

Environmental health is your best recourse really.  

Bad advice given.

Don't attempt it, you will possibly lose the ticket you have,  remember "all birds are protected" The general licence gives exceptions but not because you don't want them there. This could be a minefield .particularly if neighbours call RSPCA. Also remember pellet must remain in boundary of permission.

Waiting for them to land? very frustrating as they are astute and movement sensitive.

As for getting rid, send the the kids out to play?

You say you don't want to attract them but may have to as part of the removal process. Are they nesting in the tree or just visiting and are they definitely crows? If they are I'd suggest trapping, a Larsen trap is probably the best option, they can be purchased or made relatively cheaply. This avoids the issue with stray pellets & potential complaints from neighbours.

45 minutes ago, Scully said:

Yeah, that’s something I’d overlooked. As unsightly as it is, nothing deters corvids more than a dead one hanging upside down from a fence. 

It certainly works but I find it's a time limited effect as they will soon come back. Maybe if they are kept renewed and moved about a bit?

I tend to do it (if I am asked to) on a field or a farm yard and then it's a one off.

Get yourself a bird table, start feeding 

Once rooks start showing up get 2-3 rabbit traps bait them with peanuts they love them, and start catching. The more traps the better as they soon get wise so possibly empty them in the dark.

This does work 

We kept chickens in an uncovered run and as soon as you got inside the crows would appear ready for breakfast, tried the tie up dead bird technique which worked for a few days then they returned, didn't seem to matter if I moved them and then they got used to it and it hardly seem to bother them. Had to cover the chickens in the end.

8 hours ago, Hamster said:

A couple of dead ones hung from strings on your property visible mainly from above. 

Yep, this does work.  I have a rookery right opposite in a neighbours wood.  The rookery is not a problem to us until they get youngsters in the nest and then they start to raid our bird tables.

I just knock one out with the air rifle and leave it spread out in the yard near the tables...works till foxy decides to nick it for a meal, then I have to shoot another.  I have hung dead crows in fields to keep others off and it does work.  Hang with a wing so they look bedraggled.