Sharp Innova / paperwork

louisvanhovell

Hi, 

My latest airgun acquisition is a Sharp Innova Mk1 in .177.

I love it: simple, light, short, accurate, powerful, a bit quirky. 

Are there fellow Innova fans on here? 

And is there anyone who has original Innova paperwork? (manual / adverts / reviews in the magazines from the eighties). 

This boxed .22 was sold for 250 at an auction a few years ago. Would have loved to buy it. Maybe one day. There's something about those boxes...

Cheers, Louis

KNJn6Ap.png

Edited by louisvanhovell

I had an innova, it did nothing but leak after a while, it was a nice light weight gun though, 7 or 8 pumps if i remember right?

Always fancied one of the Sheridan pumps, they just looked smart i thought.

I'll have a dig see if i can find any articles for you.

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

I had an innova, it did nothing but leak after a while, it was a nice light weight gun though, 7 or 8 pumps if i remember right?

Less pumps that that if I remember correctly. 4 pumps to full power and there was an exhaust valve that prevented over pumping. I had a .177 back in the 80’s and loved it. Really accurate little gun and nice and light. Mine too succumbed to the leaking problem after a couple of years so I sold it on.

22 hours ago, Mice! said:

I think the Sheridan Blue Streak is a better gun, even though I really like my Innova. 

The Streak doesn't have any plastic parts, pumps with less force and has a knock open valve design, instead of the Innova's blow off one. 

The high quality plastic on the Innova doesn't bother me, except the idea that it will crack/chip/be damaged sooner or later. 

I think the Japanese were inspired by the Crosman 140 in their design of the Innova? There is basically a cap that seals the valve, and when the trigger is pulled, this cap can blow off and the air is expelled into the barrel. The quad ring inside the cap has a hard life and will leak much faster than the seals in a Blue Streak. I've heard of Sheridans that still work fine since they were bought in the seventies. 

My Innova doesn't hold the first pump 100%: when I close the pump lever during the first pump, the gun makes a "pang" noise. The second pump doesn't do that. So the quad seal needs a bit of pressure to seal properly. So it needs to be replaced. 

Here's my nicest Blue Streaks

rkkI3oT.jpg

21 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, this chap bought it new and never much used it only to top up air so it is kept in the condition like i mentioned, he is looking to sell  now, 

Hi, I'm not interested to be honest, but I'll see if a friend is. Could your friend perhaps send some info and photos to: louisvanhovell@gmail.com. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, louisvanhovell said:

Hi, I'm not interested to be honest, but I'll see if a friend is. Could your friend perhaps send some info and photos to: louisvanhovell@gmail.com. 

Cheers

hello, i can send him a txt tomorrow and he lives in Swindon, he wants around £ 600, it is mint original condition/ boxed/paperwork, let me know if your friends interested, cheers

21 hours ago, 1066 said:

I had a Mk 1 Innova .22 on FAC for many years - No blow off valve and maxed out at around 18ftlbs. It had laser like accuracy.

Wow that sounds cool! 

Even my sub 12 Mk1 Innova .177 feels like a sniper. 

3 pumps - plenty for making those beer cans fly into the air at 70 meters. 

A fantastic gun. 

The only awkward thing is pumping with a scope on: I've understood that the breech needs to be held whilst pumping. With a scope, it feels like I'm putting quite a lot of force on the scope. 

No room for my hand under the scope. 

How many pumps did you need for 18 ftlbs? 

3 hours ago, louisvanhovell said:

Wow that sounds cool! 

A fantastic gun. 

The only awkward thing is pumping with a scope on: I've understood that the breech needs to be held whilst pumping. With a scope, it feels like I'm putting quite a lot of force on the scope. 

8 pumps would give me 750 fps with .22 Eley Wasps.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 09:45, louisvanhovell said:

Wow that sounds cool! 

A fantastic gun. 

3 pumps hitting cans @ 70 meters?? Are you sure about that, must be a fair amount of hold over going on 

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

3 pumps hitting cans @ 70 meters?? Are you sure about that, must be a fair amount of hold over going on 

I am sure. I was flabbergasted. With the 4x20 scope, which is very close to the barrel, I only need a bit of elevation. Less than half a beer can. 

Will need to do some chrony'ing...

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a picture of mine in .177, it's the best £15 I have ever spent!

I acquired it in the mid 90's from an old boy who lived down the road from us, at the time I had no idea what it was worth or how effective it would be. My only regret is binning the scope that it came with as it was probably original, but you don't think of these things when you're young.

20190514_211858.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 11/02/2021 at 02:12, Black Douglas said:

Back in the late 70's. Mine would **** at 46 pumps. Shooting a coal truck shunter at 100 meters, would turn a .22 slug into some thing that resembled gold feaf 1" in diameter. 

46 pumps????? I'm hoping there's a typo in there....

I had an Innova and recall that it "blew off" midway through the fifth stroke of the pump.

Very accurate and never leaked; I always put one stroke of the pump in it before putting it back in the cabinet.

I was the right age when these things were around....plus the more refined Ace model

Used to frequent a strange small gun shop in Stanley. He used to get a lot of the Innova models in, with the occasional Ace too for the richer or more refined types.
Never bought one then, but did get one about a decade or so ago. Managed to find the correct silencer & adaptor for it too. Will need to check what scope it has on, some generic low cost unit of some sort. Need to give it a check over sometime to see what it is...and maybe shove a decent scope on it to see what the gun is capable of. Loaned it to a mate for a while as he had a pigeon problem around his house and he seemed impressed.
A couple of mates at the time had one each & called them their sparrow cannons! They raved about how good a rifle they were. So far I have only used mine to despatch trapped rats - as a lack of springs means I can keep it handy ready to use.

Spares?
I was in a small town in Eastern Java, Indonesia for a month about a decade or so back. Nice time, a little strange being one of maybe 7 or 8 white folk in a town of almost 2 million....outside of the local military museum, not a lot of shooting kit around, nor any Golok or Parang makers so I could fill my boots & bring a load back for the folk in need of same. What I found, literally on my last day there, was the gun stalls.
There was a huge multi-story car park. One side of each floor level had a very strange shopping zone - more like the stuff from a post-apocalypse sci-fi movie than anything.
Most of the shops on one floor were airguns. Well, NO. Most of the shops on one floor were - ASI Sharp Innova & Ace retailers. They had all the parts. ALL. The default layout in each shop was a few wall display boards - with every single part on said board...as in, complete guns, stripped down to the last spring & pin.

Sadly, the laws there made it illegal to export the parts. I cannot recall now if these were locally produced or Japanese imports. The guns and spares and everything were identical to the guns I had seen in the UK and I have a feeling that they were either still being supplied from Japan or someone was making 100% accurate copies as the receivers had English writing on them.
If I had known about this area at the start of my trip I'd have been otherwise busy & making a dent in the wildlife. One day we were on the way back from a tea plantation and passed a couple of locals on a mountainside dirt road. Both armed with airguns, and a few dead primates in a bamboo carrier. Monkey meat for tea?