ATV

la bala

I had a 400 Honda and I pulled some awesome big trees out of the river when we did some tidying up.  There will be a figure set by the manufacturers but I am sure I exeeded that many times.  A four wheel trailer, so keeping the bar weight to a minimum, I have seen one towing with a big square bale on it...what do they weigh.  The draw bar weight is the important factor and traction off road of course.

Edited by Walker570

7 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

That’ll depend on the size of the trailer and weather your going up hill or down 😊

obviously you can tow a lot more down hill if you don’t want to stop 😂

sorry couldn’t help it 🤭

im sure some one will come up with the proper figures soon 👍

I live in the fens O.F if i stand on a mole hill i get a nose bleed:lol:

ATV owners manual will give you the official figures, but unofficial its surprising what they will pull if you abuse them enough. A mate had a kawasaki Byou abot 300 to 350cc was a two wheel drive he coupled it to an ifor williams twin axle 16foot with about 30 bags of potatoes on it.   after a lot of bouncing rocking wheel spinning he eventually got it to move ( on compacted ground not tarmac) and the quad did remarkably well for its size. they are stronger than you would think if you are prepared to murder them with no mercy.

7 hours ago, la bala said:

Well I guess I will hang my LR on the back of my grandsons ATV. If it will pull that we will know what ballpark we are in.

It'll drag that I'd have thought.

Were you refering to that sort of tow on the first post, or a loaded trailer?

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, put in baffles to stop the water flipping the trailer over followed by the ATV.  Most of these sheep feeders hold about 5cwt or more of sheep nuts. 

I was wondering about putting a lorry inner tube in the tank and inflating it.

That's going to take up a lot of space though.  I take it from that he already has a tank  ..IBC? .....   I have a 45gal  barrel in my yard which has been washed out with water ...had water soluble contents.  laid on its side that would work well and someone capable could cut a slot across the top and weld a piece of plate inside no problem to stop it sloshing around.  I'm sure you could pick up a similar barrel.  All down to how much you need to carry.  Is it to take into a field and leave there with a drinker attached ?

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

That's going to take up a lot of space though.  I take it from that he already has a tank  ..IBC? .....   I have a 45gal  barrel in my yard which has been washed out with water ...had water soluble contents.  laid on its side that would work well and someone capable could cut a slot across the top and weld a piece of plate inside no problem to stop it sloshing around.  I'm sure you could pick up a similar barrel.  All down to how much you need to carry.  Is it to take into a field and leave there with a drinker attached ?

Yes he has an IBC which he wants a trailer  to fit.  I will fit a drinking trough on the rear.  I know it will not be possible to tow a full tank, thats why i asked the question of what weight a quad could pull. Hoping to start fabricating monday.

39 minutes ago, robbiep said:

Nice and flat, I'd expect you'd be able to tow 500kg or a bit more (trailer, IBC and contents). I'll happily shift a load of logs on the trailer on my Kawasaki 450 (AWD), which I reckon must be over 400kg

Thanks for that R,  Hopefully he should be able to tow close on half a tank of water, will just have to sort the slopping about in the empty half.

18 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Always cautious about towing water tanks especially 1/2 full ones 

we have hills and bends here 😂

theres a matrixe materiel used in fuel tanks that maybe available 

Yes i know what you mean OF, we live in the flat lands but its still dodgy towing half a tank of liquid. If it was a metal tank i could gas the top off and put some baffles in

11 hours ago, la bala said:

The grandson wants a water tank trailer building for his sheep BM

Put it on a dolly, then he won't have to worry about overloading the drawbar,  just reversing the Damn thing 😂

I've not had much to do with quads, but they'll pull more than the drawbar will hold.

Sometimes a few old bowsers knocking about already with baffled tanks, maybe cheffins?