Planting Shrubs

21 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Any tips lads on how to manage bramble? 

We luckily we a load that is cut to blocks but as said it’s so damn thick we don’t think birds can get into it let alone dogs... do you just whack the hell out of it to thin it out? 

Buy a mulching blade for a strimmer/brush cutter. 

IMG_20190128_090744-2976x2232.jpgthat was 12 foot high, i cut a tunnel through with the blade, then dropped the top down with a long reach hedge cutter and mulched that down. 

You could do similar but not in straight rows, i wouldnt do straight lines, you wanna stop goshawks and such making easy pickings of the young poults 

AfterIMG_20190128_153321-2976x2232.jpg.b16da0962e3033ec834e1f7583b74bde.jpg

Edited by strimmer_13

Pity your so far away as my Kubota has a 4ft swipe which just loves brambles, if I can't drive into 'em I just back up and drop it down.  Any 'alleyways'  try to put  few curves nd bends in for reasons previously mentioned and try to avoid dead ends.  Like nettles, if you keep cutting they tend to die off.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Pity your so far away as my Kubota has a 4ft swipe which just loves brambles, if I can't drive into 'em I just back up and drop it down.  Any 'alleyways'  try to put  few curves nd bends in for reasons previously mentioned and try to avoid dead ends.  Like nettles, if you keep cutting they tend to die off.

I don’t think we want them to die off but want the birds to be able to get in and out 👍🏻👍🏻

As said above the cover we plan to put in will take a good few years to get well established. 

Our shoot uses a walk behind  machine that comes with the operator, although it is eye wateringly expensive (£500 a day is what I've got in my head but I could be wrong), to do the tracks for the first time. Once they have cut a track it mulches the stumps, so the tracks can then be swiped annually with a tractor. They generally pay 2 people (normally me and a mate!) for a few days late september to go through with industrial strimmer/brush cutters to clear out some of the other brambles that can't be got at, and to cut single file paths for beaters through some bits.

In my experience though, bramble just doesn't hold birds well so the sooner you can replace it with other stuff the better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lloyd

I have just done something similar on clear fell

Plant native - best4hedging RSPB ultimate mix is coming great after 2/3 years - it flowers and fruits and provides cover

I have made spinneys, shelter belts and a new wood.

I have cleared areas on the clear fell and planted game crops - stuff that' flowers and seeds for insects and other birds - something like Kings Moir Mix

Loads more wildlife about and its holding the birds like a magnet

Corn costs have halved too

Last thing - if you create a splash / wet area in the clear fell they will reward ten fold !

13 hours ago, jall25 said:

Hi Lloyd

Plant native - best4hedging RSPB ultimate mix is coming great after 2/3 years - it flowers and fruits and provides cover

I have cleared areas on the clear fell and planted game crops - stuff that' flowers and seeds for insects and other birds - something like Kings Moir Mix

Last thing - if you create a splash / wet area in the clear fell they will reward ten fold !

Sounds great, putting back into the countryside..:good: 

I flooded a bit of rough ground a couple of years ago and noticed the other day, hundreds of sticklebacks in the shallowest part, also planted around the area and put in a couple of duck nesting tubes.. 

6 hours ago, islandgun said:

Sounds great, putting back into the countryside..:good: 

I flooded a bit of rough ground a couple of years ago and noticed the other day, hundreds of sticklebacks in the shallowest part, also planted around the area and put in a couple of duck nesting tubes.. 

Yes - its great !

I have had the opportunity to do it on a fairly large scale as I have clear felled approx. 40 acres.

The large grass fields - monoculture - I had I have split up with hedges and cover strips - and put splashes in the corner of fields

After 3 or 4 years things are starting to thrive but the real thinking and moto is every little helps !

All our shoots can keep the feeders topped up after the end of the season and beyond for little extra cost and provide a real boost to wild birds.

Seize the day and be a doer not a watcher or a talker ! Trust me you will enjoy the results !

1 hour ago, jall25 said:

Yes - its great !

I have had the opportunity to do it on a fairly large scale as I have clear felled approx. 40 acres.

The large grass fields - monoculture - I had I have split up with hedges and cover strips - and put splashes in the corner of fields

After 3 or 4 years things are starting to thrive but the real thinking and moto is every little helps !

All our shoots can keep the feeders topped up after the end of the season and beyond for little extra cost and provide a real boost to wild birds.

Seize the day and be a doer not a watcher or a talker ! Trust me you will enjoy the results !

agree with that, Ive spent most of my working life planting trees and working in conservation, im only working with my own few acres now though

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2019 at 22:31, jall25 said:

Hi Lloyd

You’ll have to tell me what half that means mate lol! What’s a spinney and shelter belt? 

Sounds like whatever you’ve done is working well mate 👍🏻