gunsmiths on the bandwagon

jimdfish

Today i went to buy some 6's for some shooting on Thursday. As I am using an antique hammergun i thoght i would use 24gm. 45 quid for 250. "not on yours" says I. "ounce load my man". "45 quid" says he. Why this rush to fleece sprung to my mind and the wallet was beginning to tremble in the back sky. "lead" he says has gone through the roof, "makes a chnge from where i live" says I " it usually comes off them". No sense of humour your average gunsmith. I then enquire as to why when he has a stock of carts in and they could not have been party to the price increase he doth tap his nose and blabber on about fluctuations in the global market. "go fluctuate yourself" was my witty retort. Have i mentioned that gunsmiths are not known for their humour?

Anyway the price of shooting is set to rise considerably.

Where has all the lead gone.?

Is someone stockpiling?

JDF

It's all a load of ****, apparently the far east is buying it all up and this is having a marked effect on the prices.

How this has filtered down, as you say to shells already in stock and paid for, is laughable.

No I think everyone seems to be trying to rip people off, lets face it every year prices go up, but in shooting, cartridge sellers seem to impose increases 2 to 3 times a year, registered clay grounds keep jacking up the entry fees but 99percent of them still only pay £100.00 high gun which was the norm for several years prior to that ! I started clay shooting in 1993 , and £100.00 was top gun then. I think the only way to stop the rip off merchants is to shop around and ask your mates, I pay £93.00 per thousand for a top cartridge yet many gunshops/dealers are asking £120.00 and plus for the same shell ! !go elswhere for your gear and the cowboys will have to fall in line. good luck. :good:

A lot of people are blaming the Chinese (for pretty much everything) but I would suspect the yanks, they're busy making a lot of noise in a couple of places.

I BLAME THE CHINESE :good::good: someone had too.

your not far off the mark though, they have made a considerable dent in the worlds supply of ore, steel, brass, and a host of other products used widely in manufacture, they will sell it cheap anyway,,,,,,,,,, so wait a while :good:

Martin

p.s. as a side note why dont you guys get together and buy bulk, my buddy and i buy direct from Kent Cartridge Co, major savings when doing it this way, im sure there are enough guys localy to do the same, screw the middle guy

A lot of people are blaming the Chinese (for pretty much everything) but I would suspect the yanks, they're busy making a lot of noise in a couple of places.

Yeah, ammo's really shot up in price over here too. Everything's going to Iraq and Afghanistan. A box of 20 .308 runs for about $12 now.

what I cant work out is, if as we are told china is making everything that the rest of the world used to produce, and that manufacturing is virtually dead in the rest of the world ,they, the Chinese are only using the materials that everyone else was using, so there shouldn't be a shortage, or are they using the materials for their own consumption ?.

Yeah, ammo's really shot up in price over here too. Everything's going to Iraq and Afghanistan. A box of 20 .308 runs for about $12 now.

:good:

a box of cheap .223 would be £7

so about $14

when the iraq thing started we bought .224 bullets (projectiles) in bulk, unfortunatly they are taking their time so we actually ran out of our supply of about 700

The current price of lead is £1.64 per Kg

in a box of 24g carts you have 600g of lead so the cost of lead is 95p

in a box of 28g carts you have 700g of lead so the cost of lead is 1.15p

in a box of 32g carts you have 800g of lead so the cost of lead is 1.31p

A song and dance about nothing the cost of lead has not gone up as much as the cart manufacturers would like us to think.

Dave

This should have a negligeable effect on the price of a box of 20 rifle rounds for instance .243 100grain 6.5 grams each and not all of that is lead but lets asume it is

130g of lead is 21p so even if the cost goes up by the total cost of lead in the ammunition it would only be a 21p increase!!

This should have a negligeable effect on the price of a box of 20 rifle rounds for instance .243 100grain 6.5 grams each and not all of that is lead but lets asume it is

130g of lead is 21p so even if the cost goes up by the total cost of lead in the ammunition it would only be a 21p increase!!

its not price its availability.

certainly noticed that gun shops arnt stocking so many .224 projectiles in the last few years.

plus it never hurts to have stock of somethingt that works.

No I think everyone seems to be trying to rip people off, lets face it every year prices go up, but in shooting, cartridge sellers seem to impose increases 2 to 3 times a year, registered clay grounds keep jacking up the entry fees but 99percent of them still only pay £100.00 high gun which was the norm for several years prior to that ! I started clay shooting in 1993 , and £100.00 was top gun then. I think the only way to stop the rip off merchants is to shop around and ask your mates, I pay £93.00 per thousand for a top cartridge yet many gunshops/dealers are asking £120.00 and plus for the same shell ! !go elswhere for your gear and the cowboys will have to fall in line. good luck. :rolleyes:

What Cartridges do you get for that price?

Was buying some cartridges and had a similar conversation with gun dealer regarding rising prices. I offered the "chinese taking all the lead" excuse but he said that it had nowt to do with that, the problem was down to carriage costs as all european cartridges now had to taken by road, and then from mainland Britain to N.Irleand by one carrier only who could basically charge more that normal.

Now if you are buying British there should be no rise in costs, according to this gunsmith, but I would guess all cartridges are up in price and the small rise in lead prices has been over played :rolleyes:

Just to add to this, my local RFD tells there is another orice hike of £24-00 a thousand on August 1, and there is a forecast of cartridges being £200.00 a thousand by christmas.

Put this together with the recent talk of a total ban on lead shot in the UK, Can you imagine the cost of shooting steel at clays?

I think most of us will give it up which is what the Goverment want.

Regards starlight32

There has been a big increase in theft of lead from roofs of the properties my company maintains, to the extent we no longer replace the stolen stuff with lead and alarm every scaffold. Also been an upsurge in the theft of man hole covers and squatters breaking into empty houses not only to sleep but also to take out all the wiring and strip it down. They are persistent in the extreme, we are now reduced to ripping out stairs and taking out floors. :lol:

Just to add to this, my local RFD tells there is another orice hike of £24-00 a thousand on August 1, and there is a forecast of cartridges being £200.00 a thousand by christmas.

Put this together with the recent talk of a total ban on lead shot in the UK, Can you imagine the cost of shooting steel at clays?

I think most of us will give it up which is what the Goverment want.

Regards starlight32

so again do any of you guys buy bulk :lol:? seems to me to be the thing to do, get together and buy what you can, or are you held to any specific amount ??

Martin

No I think everyone seems to be trying to rip people off, lets face it every year prices go up, but in shooting, cartridge sellers seem to impose increases 2 to 3 times a year, registered clay grounds keep jacking up the entry fees but 99percent of them still only pay £100.00 high gun which was the norm for several years prior to that ! I started clay shooting in 1993 , and £100.00 was top gun then. I think the only way to stop the rip off merchants is to shop around and ask your mates, I pay £93.00 per thousand for a top cartridge yet many gunshops/dealers are asking £120.00 and plus for the same shell ! !go elswhere for your gear and the cowboys will have to fall in line. good luck. :lol:

What Cartridges do you get for that price?

I shoot Eley Olympic trap bud, brillliant shell for the price, gunshop in brierly hill sells them for £120.00 per thousand, like I said Me and my mates get them for £93.00.