Need another hobby.

JDog

This drilling season has been a very frustrating one for me and I have had well into double figures of failures. Clodhopper has shared some of them.

When we last met we agreed that we needed to find another hobby, one which didn't frustrate quite as much, one which didn't deal such drastic blows to our expectations and one where we could achieve some success on most outings. Clodhopper said he would take up golf and I told him that I would buy him his first club. He wanted a sand wedge. I know nothing about golf but I can guess that a sand wedge is for getting a ball out of a bunker. Perhaps a different club approaching the bunker may be a better move.

My choice is to rekindle my interest in fishing and I have already upgraded some tackle to that end. Luckily I have five spring fed ponds, two with trout in and three with coarse fish in within three miles of my house. Another deflection is to watch football matches and in that connection I have been to see Lincoln City play this afternoon. It was an auspicious day as the team was promoted out of their division even though the score was a draw. My third distraction was to have a go at archery, something I have never done before. It proved to be very enjoyable.

football 1.jpg

football 2.jpg

AAFF4EF6-3984-4832-9E6C-C392E01FDD2A.jpeg

807370F5-EE1F-48C5-8A9D-3B9255B89F88.jpeg

Edited by JDog

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my other hobby is cutting wood, the farmer has let me use a corner of a field to cut logs.its for him his words were you bring me logs out the old pond and and i can have all the shooting, as he says works both ways,his dad left him the farm .his son is a lawyer and the farm contracted out all corn.nice to pull a trailer with my quad bike. 

My only other hobby or pastime was connected to fishing , Summertime was catching Ells , long lines , babbing , Ell traps and boat rods , In the Winter in between shooting it was Sea fishing , from the beach , river and taking parties out on a Sunday for 7 / 8 hours , and sometimes dropping a long line on the way out and picking it up on the way back .

Nowadays I can get all my interests in the countryside when times are lean concerning pigeon shooting , I have just rejoined my local wildfowling club after been in my other local club for the last 17 years so I can now pass the time by checking out all the new marshes and a lot of the old ones that I used to roam around back in the 70s and 80s .

I really do not have time for hobbies these days. I have 12 1/2 acres here to maintain and the other 23hrs 45 minutes a day is spent shooting or arranging such .....nah!! to be fair I do average about 6hrs sleep a night. 

For many years I was an avid fly fisherman which involved tying all my own flies. Don't do that now. I also played golf for 30yrs until the arthritis in two of my fingers prevented me gripping a club properly. In my younger days life revolved around when the next car rally was planned and I maintained my own Hornet Mini.   I have always been a sport shooter since I was able to hold my first gimme air rifle in 1947 which shot 6 inches to the left of point of aim. I am ashamed now how many House Sparrows I killed back then and now we see very few.

14 hours ago, JDog said:

This drilling season has been a very frustrating one for me and I have had well into double figures of failures. Clodhopper has shared some of them.

When we last met we agreed that we needed to find another hobby, one which didn't frustrate quite as much, one which didn't deal such drastic blows to our expectations and one where we could achieve some success on most outings. Clodhopper said he would take up golf and I told him that I would buy him his first club. He wanted a sand wedge. I know nothing about golf but I can guess that a sand wedge is for getting a ball out of a bunker. Perhaps a different club approaching the bunker may be a better move.

My choice is to rekindle my interest in fishing and I have already upgraded some tackle to that end. Luckily I have five spring fed ponds, two with trout in and three with coarse fish in within three miles of my house. Another deflection is to watch football matches and in that connection I have been to see Lincoln City play this afternoon. It was an auspicious day as the team was promoted out of their division even though the score was a draw. My third distraction was to have a go at archery, something I have never done before. It proved to be very enjoyable.

football 1.jpg

football 2.jpg

AAFF4EF6-3984-4832-9E6C-C392E01FDD2A.jpeg

807370F5-EE1F-48C5-8A9D-3B9255B89F88.jpeg

Give the fly fishing a go JDog. My advice is to have a casting lesson or two to save some frustration. I don't know how many people I've started fly fishing, many of them shooters, and none have given up. The beauty of fishing is you've got the fresh air, wildlife and nature, but can choose to return the fish if you wish, or  take for the table. You have the same satisfaction after reading a situation and fooling the quarry as in pigeon shooting. The season fits in nicely with game shooting, and still give you time to shoot pigeon all year.It can still be frustrating though! 

41 minutes ago, HIDENSEEK said:

Give the fly fishing a go JDog. My advice is to have a casting lesson or two to save some frustration. I don't know how many people I've started fly fishing, many of them shooters, and none have given up. The beauty of fishing is you've got the fresh air, wildlife and nature, but can choose to return the fish if you wish, or  take for the table. You have the same satisfaction after reading a situation and fooling the quarry as in pigeon shooting. The season fits in nicely with game shooting, and still give you time to shoot pigeon all year.It can still be frustrating though! 

I fly fished on rain fed streams and rivers in Cumbria for many years and then when I moved south I was lucky to fish the Itchen and the Test. My rods are still intact but my abilities may have dissipated.

38 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello JD, are there any nice trout river or streams nearby, you say 2 trout ponds how big are they ? 

They are quite large ponds close to a strong spring source of beautiful clear water coming out of the Wolds. The fish are released. There are tiny trout in some of the other true chalk streams in the area.

6 minutes ago, JDog said:

I fly fished on rain fed streams and rivers in Cumbria for many years and then when I moved south I was lucky to fish the Itchen and the Test. My rods are still intact but my abilities may have dissipated.

They are quite large ponds close to a strong spring source of beautiful clear water coming out of the Wolds. The fish are released. There are tiny trout in some of the other true chalk streams in the area.

hello, worth a go in the trout streams as the must be some larger brown trout, short rod/ double tapered light line, trout pond fishing can be enjoyable to and cook nice on the barbecue,  i am sure your casting ability if that is what you mean will be no problem as your early fishing suggests, some new flies for river and lake and away you go,     

37 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, worth a go in the trout streams as the must be some larger brown trout, short rod/ double tapered light line, trout pond fishing can be enjoyable to and cook nice on the barbecue,  i am sure your casting ability if that is what you mean will be no problem as your early fishing suggests, some new flies for river and lake and away you go,     

hello, here is my  small river kit, 7ft  6inch split cane, double taper 4 silk line, early hardy reel, for stream fishing a 3 D/T is more suitable 

Many years ago I saw a chap sat on a fold up chair, flask to hand and a clip board on his knee. In the middle of Croydon by the tram lines. 

Tram spotting is a thing. He was going to get all 10 of them in a day. Quite an achievement apparently. 

My wife thinks I'm mad looking forward to windy overcast days to sit in a field and shoot pigeons, occasionally I remind her of the tram spotter. 

16 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Many years ago I saw a chap sat on a fold up chair, flask to hand and a clip board on his knee. In the middle of Croydon by the tram lines. 

Tram spotting is a thing. He was going to get all 10 of them in a day. Quite an achievement apparently. 

My wife thinks I'm mad looking forward to windy overcast days to sit in a field and shoot pigeons, occasionally I remind her of the tram spotter. 

Each to his Own!!!!!

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, here is my  small river kit, 7ft  6inch split cane, double taper 4 silk line, early hardy reel, for stream fishing a 3 D/T is more suitable 

hello, i reckon a few hours trout fishing  early morning or evening rise in week and Sunday Archery with a pint or 2 after👍

What about sea bass fishing ? its one of my alternative hobbies it gets you to some beautiful places is a challenge and when you get results you still have the goal of a bigger one.  Beach cast for them or spining / lure fishing take your pick on venues and conditions. Its a hobby you can develop in and improve and it may just be something a little different from the fishing you have done before, if you have not tried it before give it a try. .

Drone/quad copter flying: You can take one pigeon shooting with you, when its quiet fly to nearby fields, check what's there and 'fire a blank shot' over the far side of them to shift them your way. :w00t:

Edited by Dave-G