Need another hobby.

JDog

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen lately on a a14 overpass a bloke with a camera eddy stobard spotting if thats any help.myself having fished all my life and live 25ft from the river that has no big fish in any more because of the seals i have taken up barble fishing on the trent and the severn preferring the severn more productive (2 doubles last year ) .

15 hours ago, Fen tiger said:

What about sea bass fishing ? its one of my alternative hobbies it gets you to some beautiful places is a challenge and when you get results you still have the goal of a bigger one.  Beach cast for them or spining / lure fishing take your pick on venues and conditions. Its a hobby you can develop in and improve and it may just be something a little different from the fishing you have done before, if you have not tried it before give it a try. .

I thought that bass fishing was banned in 2018 (catch and release only) which made an absolute mockery of commercial fishing continuing, albeit bass quotas reduced by 50%. Not sure of the position for 2019.

When I had my own boat back in the 70s, there was no finer hobby than fishing for school bass with a light spinning rod and Toby lure, drifting through the school. The spot could be seen where the gulls were working the whitebait driven to the surface by the bass. Motor uptide and drift through. Wonderful sport. Happy days and memories that cannot be taken away. Had a self imposed personal limit of four fish each.

Also, as Marshman used to do, set a longline out, but mine was set out on the mud at low tide (springs normally) on a Friday night, checked and reset on Saturday morning and evening and checked and taken up Sunday morning. Always returned with something. Plaice, dabs, flounders, codling, whiting and the occasional bass. Great fun and a good addition to the family food budget.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I thought that bass fishing was banned in 2018 (catch and release only) which made an absolute mockery of commercial fishing continuing, albeit bass quotas reduced by 50%. Not sure of the position for 2019.

When I had my own boat back in the 70s, there was no finer hobby than fishing for school bass with a light spinning rod and Toby lure, drifting through the school. The spot could be seen where the gulls were working the whitebait driven to the surface by the bass. Motor uptide and drift through. Wonderful sport. Happy days and memories that cannot be taken away. Had a self imposed personal limit of four fish each.

Also, as Marshman used to do, set a longline out, but mine was set out on the mud at low tide (springs normally) on a Friday night, checked and reset on Saturday morning and evening and checked and taken up Sunday morning. Always returned with something. Plaice, dabs, flounders, codling, whiting and the occasional bass. Great fun and a good addition to the family food budget.

OB

I release all the bass i catch always have even before the restrictions i dont bring them home, Bass are amazing things they take many years to grow a 4 to 5 lber can have taken 11 12 years to get to that size .

Rules off the net 2018

BASS RULES FOR 2018. Anglers have been banned from taking bass during the whole of 2018 due to fears of a complete collapse of the species. It means you can only fish catch and release for the popular species, but there are hopes of a relaxation of the rules later in the year to allow a one fish a day bag limit.

March this year sizes limit.

The daily bag and possession limit is five fish in any combination of species. The minimum size limit is 14 inches total length or 10 inches alternate length.2 Mar 2019

Not sure about this bit but nets look under legislation

You are not allowed to catch and retain bass with any other gears, including nets that drift with the current or are capable of doing so. You cannot catch, retain, tranship or land bass if you have not been issued an authorisation.19 Oct 2018.

10 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

OB

AS above its been relaxed this year but i catch and release i think most do with Bass.

I think what ever new hobby or pastime you take on, pigeon shooting and shooting in general will still be your number one choice .

You seem very interested in what is going on the countryside , not only the shooting side but plants , bird life , insect life and farming , oh and not forgetting your recent new found love with a bit of fresh water fishing .

We have all been through these quiet times before and no doubt we will go through the same times again , some years we do get an extended time on some poor rape fields or some drillings , but for the majority of us we wont be shooting any numbers till the Peas come on a bit or the first signs of laid winter barley

So by all means try these different sports but don't get to serious about what you try as you will soon be committed 100% in trying to reduce the numbers of Columba Palumbus in the sunny Wolds.

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I think what ever new hobby or pastime you take on, pigeon shooting and shooting in general will still be your number one choice .

You seem very interested in what is going on the countryside , not only the shooting side but plants , bird life , insect life and farming , oh and not forgetting your recent new found love with a bit of fresh water fishing .

We have all been through these quiet times before and no doubt we will go through the same times again , some years we do get an extended time on some poor rape fields or some drillings , but for the majority of us we wont be shooting any numbers till the Peas come on a bit or the first signs of laid winter barley

So by all means try these different sports but don't get to serious about what you try as you will soon be committed 100% in trying to reduce the numbers of Columba Palumbus in the sunny Wolds.

ain't that the truth.

JD , If you liked archery , have a look for your local Field Archery club, through the NFAS , website. 

There will be a club near to you . Instead of just shooting arrows at  round targets ,  field archery is 'simulated hunting' which takes place in woodland.

All types of bows are used including 'crossbows' , (not compound crossbows).

Targets are usually 3d replicas of animals , so you could find yourself shooting at anything from a meer cat to a moose , or velocaraptor..

Its not expensive either. Most club competitions shooting 40 targets on a Sunday cost £7.00 , for an entry fee . That's all  day for £7.00. With nice folk.

Be warned ! i=Its highly addictive . PM me if you want any info.

10 years ago I was looking to make some pocket money from a hobby, one that would not take up too much pigeon shooting time, 

I started looking around car boot sales, auctions and garage sales for any item I could up cycle, started small and gradually built up quite a stock, I now have a shop on eBay selling all sorts of rubbish , just doing my bit to recycle instead of stuff going to landfill.

I make a few bob which covers petrol, tools , a new shed and some of the time I spend cleaning the garbage. ( I mean quality used items with lots of life left )

The main problem is it has taken over my life, just when I thought I was retired and going to be a full time pigeon man, I end up travelling miles and spending good pigeon blasting time buying and selling, to make money so I can go shooting but no longer have the time, *****r it.best laid plans ehh 😫

On 15/04/2019 at 23:05, Longbower said:

JD , If you liked archery , have a look for your local Field Archery club, through the NFAS , website. 

There will be a club near to you . Instead of just shooting arrows at  round targets ,  field archery is 'simulated hunting' which takes place in woodland.

All types of bows are used including 'crossbows' , (not compound crossbows).

Targets are usually 3d replicas of animals , so you could find yourself shooting at anything from a meer cat to a moose , or velocaraptor..

Its not expensive either. Most club competitions shooting 40 targets on a Sunday cost £7.00 , for an entry fee . That's all  day for £7.00. With nice folk.

Be warned ! i=Its highly addictive . PM me if you want any info.

I loved it, shot bare bow and hunting tackle. Packed it in when my club closed because the land owner sold the wood we shot in. Once you buy your bow and a few arrows it's a cheap enough sport 

RC glider thermal soaring.

All sorts of methods. Discus Launch, electric power, winch launch, slope soaring, bungee launch, aero-towing. Everything from chuck gliders up to 4metre span scale models. Just look on the tube for different kinds.

Very satisfying to pick a thermal at 10' off the ground then fly the glider up 'til it specks out.

Also Ukulele. Loads of clubs about now. Easy to learn and a good ole sing-song with like-minded friends.

On 14/04/2019 at 13:09, pigeon controller said:

I am but I can't remember them to write them down. The stamps have slowed up a bit following the demise of " Green Shield" 

have you still got "the mini moke".......bought with 2.5 million Embassy fag coupons ..?

Since my lads packed in motocross, I have been in limbo. I have been looking around for a project - car or bike. Less than three  weeks ago I bought a Gas Gas 280 trials bike. Dismantled the bike, overhauled the forks,  new wheel bearings, new suspension bearings, new back mudguard, exhaust pipe seal, handlebar grips, new gear lever, carbon look fork, silencer and frame guards fitted and replaced most bolts with stainless steel. Had to angle grind the bash plate bolts off. Whoever invented button screw hex drives was one slice short of a full loaf. They strip at the drop of a hat. Rim tapes fitted since photo.

New front mudguard, exhaust heat shield and complete new graphics  on the way. It all went way too fast, but my youngest has decided that although his back won't stand motocross, it will be okay for trials. I am sure he will let me have a towbar fitted to his car - I am finished with four wheel box trailers - and make a small two bike trailer. What a son.

He rang me last night and we went to have a look at another trials - Sherco. A hole in the clutch casing and traces of really dirty oil, where he had failed to wipe it off. Just wanted a new back mudguard according to him. We didn't bring it home. 

My problem is speed. I need to slow down instead of rushing to finish anything.

IMG_20190418_161302.jpg

Edited by Gordon R

Play a bit of PlayStation, some say waste of time but met some decent folk online and can be like a good community with you have headset and comms. 

Cheap enough when compared to others I know who will spend every night down the pub or smoking a packet or two a day. 

Buy a game now and then and if you have online can fill the void when waiting to go shooting :)

Especially like shooting and survival games. 

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Play a bit of PlayStation, some say waste of time but met some decent folk online and can be like a good community with you have headset and comms. 

Cheap enough when compared to others I know who will spend every night down the pub or smoking a packet or two a day. 

Buy a game now and then and if you have online can fill the void when waiting to go shooting :)

Especially like shooting and survival games. 

Loved the tomb raider games , nathan  in Uncharted. both the sniper elite  . The last of us . I am struggling a bit with God Of War .got the cowboy one still not sure if i like it. The graphics  now are amazing on the Pro .