On The Seed

We set out this morning to look at a very low rape field with the intention of shooting it. It was 09.00 as we drove out of the city and we could not see a bird flighting. We returned to DB's as he forgot his phone and left again on a different route to the same effect no birds. We drove out to the rape field in question and lifted approx one hundred birds off the field for them to circle and drop into some trees along the edge of the rape. We watched it for twenty minutes and nothing moved to return to the rape and we knew " They Wanted to be Together" and if we shot it hard they would just lift off into the distance. We kept it in mind as possible return field if we could not find any other flocks to shoot. As we drove through the Warwickshire and Worcestershire countryside we found no number to excite us other that sixes and sevens on clover or buds. We drove to the rape we shot last week and nothing other that six deer grazing. We looked at seed peas and nothing.

As we drove into one of our farms to chat to the farmer we could see a few birds flighting towards his rape, during the conversation he said he had seen a good number going towards a slight depression in his rape field. We agreed to have a look and if they are down we will shoot it. As we drove to the top of the hill to give us visability of the rape we found a small seed field which is not very easily seen. The birds the farmer had seen were going to the seed not his rape. It only had approx thirty birds down and nothing joining so we watched it for twenty minutes as DB devoured a Bacon and egg sandwich with brown sauce on crusty bread. Five birds joined in twenty minutes so we drove over to the farm and received permission. He did remind us that we shot that field last year and had a good bag off it ( thats the kiss of death). So we drove back and viewed the field from the gate and chose our ambush point, which was a pair of electricity distribution poles. Which was directly in line with the hedge that ran along the lower edge of the field, with the very cold wind off our back from the East.

It was now 13.00 and we set up with twelve fresh birds all on spikes in the feeding position directly in front of the hide. The only problem with this type of shooting is they will be coming along the hedgeline directly in front of us straight at the hide so looking through the hide is a MUST any movement and they will flare, I added a picture from the inside of the hide to give you the visibility, as we take the shooting in turns one will move, mount and shoot when he feels the time is right the other will look throught the hide and shoot if possible after the first shooter. We had the situation that you would shoot at a bird and this would bring others along the same line then it would go dead for ten minutes or so. We had some birds decoy from the back of us wrong way to wind and have to make a grand sweep in front of us to gain the wind brake. We shot until it went completly dead at 17.30 and picked up exactly eighty pigeons and five corvids. It was an enjoyable days shooting and shooting the seed it was amazing the range of the dust kicked up by the steel shells.

100-3398.jpg

80 pigeons and 5 corvids
IMG-1429.jpg

The view from inside the hide, keep your head down.

11 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

My wife has been irritated by me checking my phone every 5 minutes whilst we watched a film together. Your weekly report is far more interesting. Well done again.

Mine is the same thinks i have another woman i didnt know she thought i was that stupid.

Great report pc does db use his 3 shot. I would like to see a picture of feeding birds on spikes sometime please

33 minutes ago, dad said:

Mine is the same thinks i have another woman i didnt know she thought i was that stupid.

Great report pc does db use his 3 shot. I would like to see a picture of feeding birds on spikes sometime please

He started to use his three shot over the passed three weeks, just for a change. I will try and find some pictures as requested.

On 14/04/2019 at 09:26, dad said:

I've been requested by dad to show how I place feeding pigeons on spikes, nothing new just angle the spike forward so it appears to be feeding.

IMG-1431.jpg
IMG-1432.jpg

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

I've been requested by dad to show how I place feeding pigeons on spikes, nothing new just angle the spike forward so it appears to be feeding.

IMG-1431.jpg
IMG-1432.jpg

Does the spike go up the vent into the head and into the ground.they look lifelike.

38 minutes ago, dad said:

Does the spike go up the vent into the head and into the ground.they look lifelike.

No the spike is external to the bird, push the spike  ( old bycycle spoke) in the ground at an angle. Place the head of the bird on the top of the spike then push the bird up to it and hide the spike.

14 hours ago, old'un said:

Not wishing to steal your thunder PC, but another way he could try is, 3ft long sticks sharpened each end and pushed up the vent and into the ground, been using this method for 40 years and it works well.

If I need them taller I would use cradles, use whichever system works for you. 

I'm just sensitive to penetrating vents!!!!