TURNER RICHARDS 410 to 12G Adapter

oldypigeonpopper

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im sure there would be a reasonable market in making them out of old .22 rifle barrells........................would they have to be proofed ?

hello simon, i am not sure on proofing but when i contacted Turners they said could send in post not RFD, i asked a chap i know if he could make one in his workshop, 2 years and still waiting, any how i like the T R one so thought to try here first, cheers 

21 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello simon, i am not sure on proofing but when i contacted Turners they said could send in post not RFD, i asked a chap i know if he could make one in his workshop, 2 years and still waiting, any how i like the T R one so thought to try here first, cheers 

is that the long one with a "o" ring at the end to centralise the tube.........?

18 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello simon, that is the one, i have an early 1980s  BSA single barrel 12 bore, hammerless/ raised rib / full choke, 

is it a BSA "snipe" model ?..........the one with a barrell break lever underneath..........

Edited by ditchman

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

is it a BSA "snipe" model ?..........the one with a barrell break lever underneath..........

hello simon, not sure but there was one on gun watch, same folder type but mine has a raised rib, you can still find details,  as happen i purchased from Graham  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

The BSA Snipe that I had years ago had an alloy action (painted/sprayed black), hammerless ejector with the safety catch in the trigger guard. It ejected the cartridge whether it had been fired or not, and I`m pretty sure that it was full choke. It had a long top lever if I recall. Are we talking about the same model ?

OB

i remember my mate having a very tight choke looonnng barrel BSA...it had a "trigger lever" next to the trigger guard to break the barrel.....he said it was a Snipe.....this was a long time ago ...50 years........ive looked on the net and the snipe dosnt come up that looked like it.........

44 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i remember my mate having a very tight choke looonnng barrel BSA...it had a "trigger lever" next to the trigger guard to break the barrel.....he said it was a Snipe.....this was a long time ago ...50 years........ive looked on the net and the snipe dosnt come up that looked like it.........

Googling BSA Snipe shows the one that I had and some photos show where the black finish to the action has been removed leaving the aluminium alloy action. Not sure how resistant to long term wear the action is, but is seems that they are still about so must be OK. Some of the photos also show the safety catch in the trigger guard. The one I had was around 1961/2, so just over 50 years ago. I think that I paid £12 of my hard earned money for it.

Incidently, I bought my son an identical one with a shortened stock when he was about 10 or 11, but he couldn`t hit a barn door with it. Perhaps the full choke wasn`t ideal an ideal choice to inspire confidence in a youngster. 

I know that when I had a Cooey .410 I used to swap barrels with my mate who had the same in 12 gauge as they had the same action but were interchangeable. No need for an adaptor then !

Getting back on topic, wasn`t there an adaptor for sale on here recently. Probably sold now though.

Edited by Old Boggy

12 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Nope still for sale. Its going on ebay tonight, with the scopes 😉

Is it a Turner Richards one that Oldypigeonpopper is after ? Cannot find it in the sales section. What page is it now on ?

OB

Just found it in the sales section. It looks like the Turner Richards one has a lip on it so that the .410 cartridges can be removed without taking out the adaptor, hence why Oldypigeonpopper prefers that one.

Edited by Old Boggy

On 15 April 2019 at 14:48, oz.man64 said:

the ye olde bsa was the 12 gauge with 32" barrel the snipe was poorly made in comparision

Cannot disagree with that. I'm not even sure that the Snipe was actually made by BSA. Having said that, my old snipe accounted for a good many rabbits and quite a few pigeons as a kid, once I'd mastered the knack of 'shooting flying'.

OB

On 16 April 2019 at 17:13, Swinton said:

Interesting that Brownells quote smaller gauge cartridges as cheaper. I therefore assume that 20 bores etc are more prolific on the other side of the pond and so cartridge production and prices reflect this.

OB

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/04/2019 at 10:13, ditchman said:

is that the long one with a "o" ring at the end to centralise the tube.........?

hello, thats the one simon

On 16/04/2019 at 17:13, Swinton said:

i do prefer the turner richards, seem i am going to buy a new one if no PW member has to sell