Corvids On Spring Drillings

wymberley

Just got back in from putting out the second Portek banger where we can't shoot. It just so happened that these two unshootable fields were the first to be hit so from now on it'll be the shotgun. Up until about a year or two ago - here anyway - there'd be no problem until the shoots showed but now they're hitting before there's any sign of anything on the surface. Initially and although we've been watching and held off until we deemed the bangers were necessary, we thought it could also have been rabbit (except we haven't seen any for a while), fox or deer (roe), until we realised that the holes didn't look right. But the give away is the fact that there's pecked holes but no tracks so unless Freddy and Bambi have learned to fly it, can't be them.

Anyone else finding this?

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to the recent fiasco r.e. the GL I had a field of Spring wheat drilled on my perm where, despite 2 bangers the rooks and jacks were hammering it. 157 mixed 'blackies' added to the muck heap (in 3 trips) and still they come ...

The farmer is already tearing his hair out because I've not been able to touch them for a week, and they ignore the bangers completely other than to lift, wheel round, and re-settle to work their way along the row of the drill.

I wonder how NE will react when he sends them the bill for a dozen boxes of 'crowies' and the fuel needed to keep going and setting them out ! Especially when he points out that it was all a fruitless exercise as the only way it seems we can stop them from eating the wheat is to make them 'lie down and take a nap' in the muck heap with their mates ..

On 01/05/2019 at 13:22, Longstrider said:

Prior to the recent fiasco r.e. the GL I had a field of Spring wheat drilled on my perm where, despite 2 bangers the rooks and jacks were hammering it. 157 mixed 'blackies' added to the muck heap (in 3 trips) and still they come ...

The farmer is already tearing his hair out because I've not been able to touch them for a week, and they ignore the bangers completely other than to lift, wheel round, and re-settle to work their way along the row of the drill.

I wonder how NE will react when he sends them the bill for a dozen boxes of 'crowies' and the fuel needed to keep going and setting them out ! Especially when he points out that it was all a fruitless exercise as the only way it seems we can stop them from eating the wheat is to make them 'lie down and take a nap' in the muck heap with their mates ..

If they are doing that much damage, one has to ask why on earth haven't you applied for a license and gone out with a gun as I have done.