petrol strimmer

mel b3

hiya guys,

im looking for a sensibly priced petrol strimmer , to use in our woodland , i cant justify new , or top quality , as itll only be used for a few hours per year. ideally it would be within sensible driving distance of jcn 9 m6(dy4 area).

thanks for looking guys.

mel:good:

I recently bought a new Stihl but looked at loads of 2nd hand strimmers on ebay, Gumtree and Facebook market place.

As long as you are careful about it, you could get something sensible for about £50.

If you are using it for a shoot working party or whatever, just make sure the stimmer can cope with the type of undergorwth and/or can use a brushcutter attachment.

Thank you for the wise words guys.

The strimmer would be used for trimming bracken at the edge of paths in our woodland, it would most likely be used for around four hours per year, ideally I'll be able to get a second hand one for £50 ish , I don't really want to spend too much in case it gets stolen,/damages etc.

45 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

The strimmer would be used for trimming bracken at the edge of paths in our woodland, it would most likely be used for around four hours per year, ideally I'll be able to get a second hand one for £50 ish , I don't really want to spend too much in case it gets stolen,/damages etc.

hello, shame your so far mel i have one in my shed, hope you can find one local

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

Hi Mel,

How are you mechanically? servicing? Maybe a bit of tinkering etc? I have one in the garage I bought as a backup, some time ago, it ran ok when I bought it, but i've never used it as my Stihl is running ok!......its complete but may need a bit of messing with?

Cheap ****** 52cc ones on fleabay for about £70 delivered.

Ok I've broken 2 of them ,but they both had in excess of 1000 hours of heavy work each.

Come with strimmer head that takes upto 3mm line and a brush cutter blade.

harness is a bit pants.Although if youu're only using it for a few hrs a year it won't be a problem.

something with a brushcutter as above says..........................bracken later in the year can be a real pig to cut........

if you are going 2nd hand look out for a make called Robin..............i serviced a very old one belonging to whitebridges...and i rekon it is ny on indestructable...and it has A PROPER carb on it like a small motorbike carb with float and stuff in it....very very easy to look after...and grease nipple on the brushcutter head.........

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

something with a brushcutter as above says..........................bracken later in the year can be a real pig to cut........

if you are going 2nd hand look out for a make called Robin..............i serviced a very old one belonging to whitebridges...and i rekon it is ny on indestructable...and it has A PROPER carb on it like a small motorbike carb with float and stuff in it....very very easy to look after...and grease nipple on the brushcutter head.........

Still going strong Ditch ! Top bit of kit, i used it on the river the other day and cleared some sprouting willow and weed trees, silver birch etc. Sings something like Aretha Franklin. 

12 minutes ago, gotgcoalman said:

Hmm just had a look on the bay and..........

I've ordered a 5 in 1 for £21🤔

If it turns up on wednesday (does it actually exist for the price)

Deffo listed at the wrong price although the seller has 100%

you will proberly end up with a stick with a bit of string on one end and a pair of scissores ...:lol::lol::lol:

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Hi Mel,

How are you mechanically? servicing? Maybe a bit of tinkering etc? I have one in the garage I bought as a backup, some time ago, it ran ok when I bought it, but i've never used it as my Stihl is running ok!......its complete but may need a bit of messing with?

im not too bad to be honest . ive already been given an old flymo weed eater , ive had a bit of a mess with it , and the coil seems to be broken , i had a look for a replacement coil , but unfortunately it would be completely uneconomical to repair , even without adding the cost of other parts.

Keep an eye on fleabay, I picked up a 2014 Stihl FS410c for £50 two years back as a non runner, all it cost me was a carb kit....about £10. Theres a glut of numptys who dont know how a 2 stroke works and leave it full of fuel all winter dormant! Its an absolute beast at full chat, that clears anything in its path:good:

Mel,

Just a word of warning, cheap 2 strokes can be a pain to start after being left for long periods as the petrol evaporates leaving the jets gunked up. The likes of Stihl are fully serviceable and have spares available where as cheap units aren’t.

The chap I work with swears that the ethanol added to petrol nowadays eats seals so you can end up sucking air under load, which makes the engine stall.

A good regime of emptying fuel tank and running engine with tank empty until engine cuts out can solve many of the above issues. 

Good luck with your search!