Hip Replacement Anyone.

Jaggsy

Decided to investigate the odd sharp pain in my right hip at last, its just a twinge every so often and doesn't really impede me in any way but after having it looked at i've been told the hip needs replacing at some point. I can't really afford three months off that's my main concern.

Martin

The wife has just had her 2nd hip replaced, having a epidural, she feels fantastic ,walking around without sticks 4 weeks after the op. She was the same after the first op. Only painkillers she took were a couple of paracetamol for a couple of days. Amazing woman.  The epidural is the way to go.

The thing is that once you start to favour that hip, you put strain on other parts of your structure, and it all has a knock in effect. Mates old fellah had his done over a year ago and he’s still hobbling about because of the knee he put under so much strain whilst ‘putting it off’. 

I’d get it done ASAP. 

Edited by Scully

Speaking as a younger bloke who's now suffering from an injury I didn't get fixed properly 12 years ago get yourself fixed ASAP. If you let it linger to the point that it hurts you you'll already have been compensating for it and wrecked your other hip and you'll need that replacing 18 months later. You also run the risk of ruining your knees and you'll have to have them sorted out as well. I've learnt too late now you need to look after your body.

27 minutes ago, Scully said:

The thing is that once you start to favour that hip, you put strain on other parts of your structure, and it all has a knock in effect. 

This. 

My mums had both hers done and is a new person, mate had one done but due to putting it off now HAS to have the other one done. Dont put it off, you will only injur your self more if you do. My mates uncle now cant walk due to not getting it done, and now it being that far gone theres nothing to attach the replacement too! 

Get on the list and keep your mobility and standard of living.. 

Get it done. 

My mum ignored her knee for ages because she didn't want time off work. She has now had to have both knees and both hips done all pretty much one after the other a few years later. 

If you're fairly young then the recovery isn't likely to be the full three months anyway. 

Interesting reading. Think I need to get down the doctors and get my shoulder and elbow looked at. 

Old rugby injuries but now and then get a lot of pain right in the joint. Not sure what they could do. 

I know my elbow was golfers elbow after a big injury. 

My (late) father had one done quite early in the problems progression.  He was therefore fully mobile and in a good state of fitness for his age, but probably nearer 80 than 70 at the time.  He was up in hospital the following day, out on day 5 and walking dogs gently after a very short period.

8 hours ago, scouser said:

The wife has just had her 2nd hip replaced, having a epidural, she feels fantastic ,walking around without sticks 4 weeks after the op. She was the same after the first op. Only painkillers she took were a couple of paracetamol for a couple of days. Amazing woman.  The epidural is the way to go.

My dad was also recommended to go for the epidural apparently the recover is 'easier', as mentioned he also left it as long as he could but now wished he got it done sooner.

1 minute ago, Robertt said:

What's the first symptoms for the hips going ?

In my father's case, he felt it 'clicking' he described it - as he moved.  He didn't have much (possibly not even any) pain, but was told (as this thread has indicated) it was much the best thing to get it done before it got bad, because the muscles and general 'fitness' are not impaired by having 'rested it' due to pain, and so recovery is much faster.

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Interesting reading. Think I need to get down the doctors and get my shoulder and elbow looked at. 

Old rugby injuries but now and then get a lot of pain right in the joint. Not sure what they could do. 

Id get a full service pal. You need it

4 minutes ago, mick miller said:

I think I need to book an appointment then, my right hip has gradually been getting worse, so that now I walk with a limp. I thought 49 was too young for a replacement though?

A friend of mine recently had one replaced - and he is only in his early 50s.  I think it can occur quite early, depending on family history, injury, work/life activities etc.  My friend had previous had rugby injuries to his hip.

A lot depends on the individual - how fit, healthy, overweight, etc they are, along with age, and probably a few hundred other factors.

My dad (82) had a full hip replacement last year in September. He's always been fit and active, walking 2-3 miles every day, not overweight, etc. For the last 6 months before the op he was struggling to do that though.

He was on crutches for about 4 weeks, and is now back up to his 'proper' walking distance, and very happy with the results.

Jt can literally change your life.

More to the point not having it done can be so debilitating and you can end up with all sorts of secondary spin off conditions like poor circulation etc.  

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Lucky you are not a horse...……….

That's all I'm saying