Touring caravan

snow white

Hi I know nothing about touring caravans our friend is thinking of getting one and asking me to have a look at my concern is how can I check proof of ownership I am going to have a look tomorrow.

Any advice would be helpful I now about Chassie and brakes as I had a boat with trailer.

Check that it does not have any damp .tyres ok .all appliances work heater / lights

if it’s crisi registered that will tell you who owns it give the number a ring they will tell.

you maybe better getting one from a dealer at least you will now it has been fully check and legal 

Edited by Guest

any doubts walk away too many are being stolen.... like said check for damage, damp, dates on tyres and condition (  recommended change by insurance at 5 years old) check date on gas pipe this needs change regular and service history (should be serviced yearly) if its not been serviced has the gas system been checked? breaks? draw bar? if its a ALKO HITCH check the pads check interior condition one of the worst vans to buy is a van that's been sighted and used 6 months of year. massive wear and tear and usually not serviced/moved. check for chassis numbers on windows and doors match chassis number and see if it has CRIS REGISTRATION. I think all caravans after 2010 are automatically registered with them.... and if they sound like gypsy's they probably are lol

Edited by SPARKIE

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:46, SPARKIE said:

any doubts walk away too many are being stolen.... like said check for damage, damp, dates on tyres and condition (  recommended change by insurance at 5 years old) check date on gas pipe this needs change regular and service history (should be serviced yearly) if its not been serviced has the gas system been checked? breaks? draw bar? if its a ALKO HITCH check the pads check interior condition one of the worst vans to buy is a van that's been sighted and used 6 months of year. massive wear and tear and usually not serviced/moved. check for chassis numbers on windows and doors match chassis number and see if it has CRIS REGISTRATION. I think all caravans after 2010 are automatically registered with them.... and if they sound like gypsy's they probably are lol

High. there sparkie, why is a van that's been sighted and used for 6 months bad? I've just bought a 2010 model for staying in while away at work, had full dealer service and its going to be pretty much left on a permanent pitch. Never had a caravan before so any advice is welcome.

cheers

caravans aint made to be lived in full time..... 6-8 weeks away a year average. when ones sighted they tend to get heavy use and it shows in the cushions/interior and fixed bed mattress.

also people skip the services because there not going anywhere, risking gas leaks and carbon monoxide checks. various other stuff like the tyre's sat in same position or handbrake left on for great lengths of time isn't great for the break system.

45 minutes ago, SPARKIE said:

caravans aint made to be lived in full time..... 6-8 weeks away a year average. when ones sighted they tend to get heavy use and it shows in the cushions/interior and fixed bed mattress.

also people skip the services because there not going anywhere, risking gas leaks and carbon monoxide checks. various other stuff like the tyre's sat in same position or handbrake left on for great lengths of time isn't great for the break system.

makes sense, thanks

Why is your mate asking you to have a look at one when you ain't got a clue what to look for.

Unless your used to inspecting caravans I would stay well clear.

Had a caravans over the decades and getting a good inspection is top of the list.