Lawn help again please.

harrycatcat1

39 minutes ago, figgy said:

I'd say it needs astro turf treatment.

🤣

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

if its weed an feed .........it will feed the grass and kill everything else............

1. scarify
  2. areate the lawn with fork...break it up
  3. add seed
  4. rake in/scratch it in
  5. add meat and bone ,meal ....its slow release
  6. water

I will try this 👍thanks.

it looks compacted....so a good forking to a depth of 4" will do it no end of good.....it will allow the roots more growth downwards and give it more resitance to drought..........the only downside is forking it ...which is a real bind...

As above give it a dammed good forking.  I would top dress the lawn with some sharp sand covering it all over then fork it over. I used to have a tool to do it but a garden fork works just as well. Get the tines in and wiggle the fork back and forth to open up some holes. Do this every four to six inches. Sprinkle some lawn seed over and brush the sharp sand in with a stiff brush. Water if your ground is dry and watch your lawn grow. Be careful with feed as it can force top growth, looks nice but can weaken the plant. Also don't cut too short let it grow a little and get some strength back into the roots after winter.

If you saw what a treated lawn looks like you'd think they were trying to kill it. Covered in sand and full of holes looking awful. After a few weeks though it usually looks like a new lawn.

Edited by figgy

concrete it and paint it green.👍

ditchman said "a good forking" 🤔😲🤣

It does look a bit forked at the moment.

Re scarify/rake to break the sutface and get any remaining debris out.

Re seed.

Water,water,water and then water.

Think you can get those slip on shoe things with spikes to airate the ground and promote better growth.

Save forking on with a fork.

24 minutes ago, ditchman said:

it looks compacted....so a good forking to a depth of 4" will do it no end of good.....it will allow the roots more growth downwards and give it more resitance to drought..........the only downside is forking it ...which is a real bind...

I was going to order one of those "fork" things that takes plugs out but I can't think of the flippin name.

Tilling tinning???

Harry I had one that took plugs out. Great on damp lawn but if too wet it clogged and if dry you need two of you stamping to get it into the ground.

Best one was a bar with short spikes and long handle to wiggle. If you want to pull plugs out the hollow tine is the only ones but make sure the ground is damp enough for it to work and do.it all.

Edited by figgy

It works always has. If your lawn is big you can hire powered aerators. Brushing sharp sand into the holes helps get the soil in the lawn less prone to compaction and let's water in and drains better. Also feed can get to the roots weeds and miss don't like the sharp sand. It's a win win with it.

8 minutes ago, figgy said:

It works always has. If your lawn is big you can hire powered aerators. Brushing sharp sand into the holes helps get the soil in the lawn less prone to compaction and let's water in and drains better. Also feed can get to the roots weeds and miss don't like the sharp sand. It's a win win with it.

Thanks 👍

Hollow tine airation to sort the compaction and then overseed and feed. 

May be cheaper and considerably easier to get one of the many lawn companies to do it for you. 

I get them round every quarter to feed and deal with moss. Works out cheaper than me buying the chemicals and costs very little really for a decent sized lawn. Lawn now looks great but still takes an hour to cut. 

12 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Hollow tine airation to sort the compaction and then overseed and feed. 

May be cheaper and considerably easier to get one of the many lawn companies to do it for you. 

I get them round every quarter to feed and deal with moss. Works out cheaper than me buying the chemicals and costs very little really for a decent sized lawn. Lawn now looks great but still takes an hour to cut. 

I spent a couple of hours last night after covering it with sharp sand sticking the fork in to 4" which only did 1/6th lawn so your option seems very attractive 

It took the chap about an hour to whip over it with his machine making little holes and another 10 mins to feed it and treat weeds moss. The feed and moss is about 30 quid a quarter and the airation about 50. That's only needed doing once. 

Now dark green and weed free all year. Why mess about yourself. unless you've got a small lawn I can't see the point  

On 15/04/2019 at 12:39, harrycatcat1 said:

A couple of weeks ago I put some feed and weed on from Wilkos and the lawn went really green.

I have recently scarified it and as you can see from the picture it looks like it needs doing again although I filled the bin last time.

What treatment do you think it needs?

Thanks

Hcc

Screenshot_20190415-123831.jpg

I presume you have ruled out leather jackets? (not the sort you wear)

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

8.jpg

208deaaafe227e9b1bfa654fa536abfb.jpg

Mmmmmmm this is looking like a good option as I'm starting to wish I'd not started this journey, scarifying twice, chucking sharp sand brushing all over proding it with a fork to a depth of 4", reseeding then watering in.

The back is NOT getting done 😩

Thanks for everyone's advice.