Notre-Dame

poontang

9 hours ago, Vince Green said:

It should be inconceivable in this day that any fhistoric building could be destroyed by fire. For my sins I was for several years a (company appointed) Trustee of St Albans Cathederal. The  endless risk assessments and incident forecasting was all consuming and to comply with all the draconian regulations was like having to jump through endless hoops laid out end on end.

Basically, you couldn't even f -a-r-t let alone burn the place down.

When I had restoration/building work on a listed building - there were as you say a real tough set of regulations (mainly imposed by the insurance company).  I also had to carry a massive excess until works were completed.

However - these (or at least some of them) were completely impractical - and could't be complied with ........ and so in effect I carried the risk myself.  So called 'hot works' were most risky and we had to inspect at intervals after completion of daily work and have extinguishers in the area.  Halogen and incandescent lamps were also forbidden.  This was OK for me as I was living on the premises and have extinguishers and used LED flood lighting.  What we couldn't do was "ensure all combustible materials within 1 metre of the work is removed".  When soldering flashing, copper pipes etc., this is simply not practical in restoration work.  I was very careful to inspect at frequent regular intervals afterwards, and we always had extinguishers/water to hand. 

If I recall correctly, the fire at Uppark was caused by hot works on a leaded roof or flashing and flared up some time after builders had left the area.

Edited by JohnfromUK

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

this will affect Macron...he will get the backlash.........................france are notorious in under spending to look after their treasures....this has been going on for many years....some of the pics of stop gap repairs i have seen from friends of mine are horrific................

such a shame ....Paris is Notre Dame............

According to some news reports Macron is not suggesting that France will fund the rebuilding costs. He is launching an international  fund raising appeal so the world can rebuild the cathedral together !!!!! So much for French pride and picking the pockets of international sadness at this loss.

33 minutes ago, Bobba said:

According to some news reports Macron is not suggesting that France will fund the rebuilding costs. He is launching an international  fund raising appeal so the world can rebuild the cathedral together !!!!! So much for French pride and picking the pockets of international sadness at this loss.

Don't worry he will get a grant from the EU, he's been doing them some favours lately over Brexit so it only right

see cash is pouring in already......................wonder how much the vatican will cough up ??

22 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Don't worry he will get a grant from the EU, he's been doing them some favours lately over Brexit so it only right

if westminster abbey was burning down... the EU wold contribute 2 galls' of 4 star......

Why do these long term restoration projects not have sprinklers attached to the scaffolding?    I imagine some rising mains clamped to the scaffold tubes, with rain guns at the top, would be fairly cheap and simple to arrange, and possibly more effective than pumping jets of water from fire engines at ground level.   

2 hours ago, Bobba said:

How could he ? Mr Austerity would have a few more fires to put out if he could find money for that, and not some of the social schemes he promised on his election trail (That never happened)

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

see cash is pouring in already......................wonder how much the vatican will cough up ??

A token sum perhaps, they are tighter than a nuns..

More than enough money will be raised to cover the what ?  5 billion euros cost of putting it back together, jobs for he boys ect ..From French ex pats , Canadians, and ordinary French people at home or abroad.

Lets face it, even if the French government said they would pay for it, its only coming from French tax payers isnt it ?

12 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

Why do these long term restoration projects not have sprinklers attached to the scaffolding?

I think very often the fire takes hold and spreads in the void between the internal ceiling (stone vaultwork at Notre Dames) and the leaded roof - which is supported on timber frames and boards.  It is these areas that allow the fire to spread so quickly (here and at Windsor).  Sprinklers in those voids would be a good idea, but I guess would be frost prone?  The problem with sprinklers in roofs is that you need a large header tank, or suitable constant mains pressure, unlikely at that height.

35 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Allegedly, according to CNN the French have already collected equivalent of  $700 million in voluntary donations. If that's true its a heck of a lot of money in less than 24 

And not one penny from the Catholic Church funds. They are among the richest businesses in the world but part with very little. 

Edited by bostonmick
Spelling

On 16/04/2019 at 08:51, ditchman said:

if westminster abbey was burning down... the EU wold contribute 2 galls' of 4 star......

I would imagine that as the Notra Dame is THE icon of the Roman Catholic Church outside of Rome, then the Pope will take advantage of his traditional Easter Sunday address from the Vatican balconey to announce the donation from Rome. On the other hand...............

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I would imagine that as the Notra Dame is THE icon of the Roman Catholic Church outside of Rome, then the Pope will take advantage of his traditional Easter Sunday address from the Vatican balconey to announce the donation from Rome. On the other hand...............

the french state owns notre dame....not the catkolic church...........so it will be a few well chosen words............they need the cash to stay at the vatican for the pensions...and papal helicopters and stuff....and to pay the top lawyers for pedophile cases.........

it was difficult to get the money out of the pope for the bloody crusades............so thats why it was a wheeze to flog off things like "Jesus's toenails"...or st francis,s finger....put them in a fancy box...bless it, flog them to the church...and then the church would charge 5 groats for a person to touch the box...another 2 groats for a prayer....and B&B with beer 10 groats...to all the pilgrims:lol:

26 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the french state owns notre dame....not the catkolic church...........so it will be a few well chosen words............they need the cash to stay at the vatican for the pensions...and papal helicopters and stuff....and to pay the top lawyers for pedophile cases.........

it was difficult to get the money out of the pope for the bloody crusades............so thats why it was a wheeze to flog off things like "Jesus's toenails"...or st francis,s finger....put them in a fancy box...bless it, flog them to the church...and then the church would charge 5 groats for a person to touch the box...another 2 groats for a prayer....and B&B with beer 10 groats...to all the pilgrims:lol:

The "french state", being the reason for "donation" and "on the other hand" translates into "a few well chosen words" which in turn translates into the offering up of a prayer which in this instance when one considers the magnitude of some of the donations already made, simply isn't going to cut the mustard.

11 minutes ago, figgy said:

Should be paid for by the church coffers not the public or begging for donations. They have billions.

The state own it, although they reduced drastically the funding for it a while back and there is a charity that campaigns for donations to it's upkeep.