Notre-Dame

poontang

11 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

The state own it, although they reduced drastically the funding for it a while back and there is a charity that campaigns for donations to it's upkeep.

The state here owns Windsor Castle, but when that had a fire funds were not paid by the state - but were raised from opening Buckingham Palace to the public and the Queen 70% I believe.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The state here owns Windsor Castle, but when that had a fire funds were not paid by the state - but were raised from opening Buckingham Palace to the public and the Queen 70% I believe.

Well yes and no, windsor castle is part of the crown estates, which as we all know the Monarch gives to the people and in return we let them have pocket money and a few houses.So technically the Monarch owns Windsor castle, but we pay for it's upkeep in return for the crown estates.

Notre Dame was started by a French Monarch, but along the way the people got a bit annoyed and drastically chopped of any aquantance they had with Monarchy, so it is owned by the state, saying that the French also made a law saying their govermnt would be religion neutral, so they let the catholic church be the benificiary of the cathedral, but they still paid for it's up keep until as i said a few years ago. 

16 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Well yes and no, Windsor castle is part of the crown estates

That is correct, but the reigning Monarch has the 'use', of the Crown Estates but no control or financial rights.  She does own Sandringham and Balmoral 'personally'.

Getting back to Notres Dames, I read that the repair bill for Windsor after the fire (which destroyed/damaged 115 rooms, 9 of them being major state rooms, was 36.5 million pounds.  That was in 1992.  Todays price might be about double that - say £75 million.

I read today that the have now £1000 million pledged to restore Notre Dames, so could it really cost more than 10 times as much to repair as Windsor?

9 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

That is correct, but the reigning Monarch has the 'use', of the Crown Estates but no control or financial rights.  She does own Sandringham and Balmoral 'personally'.

Getting back to Notres Dames, I read that the repair bill for Windsor after the fire (which destroyed/damaged 115 rooms, 9 of them being major state rooms, was 36.5 million pounds.  That was in 1992.  Todays price might be about double that - say £75 million.

I read today that the have now £1000 million pledged to restore Notre Dames, so could it really cost more than 10 times as much to repair as Windsor?

This is what gets to me, yes it stood for 800 yrs, but what has been lost has been lost, you may make it look the same again but that is no better than going to disney land where they copy things.
Why not make the new structure modern and inspiring, to show what this century can do, and with modern materials it could be way less expensive.and with the massive amount saved build hospitals.

I read that it may be impossible to actually make it in the same way as they originally did, the oaks they used were massive coming form ancient woods, they felled all the massive oaks and now there are not enough of that size to use, also by selecting the biggest oaks they in effect bred out the biggest oaks because it was the smaller ones left to continue populating.

They used over 1300 oaks, 52 acres of woodland.

8 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Why not make the new structure modern and inspiring

That is of course what they did in Coventry Cathedral.  But has it been a success?

I visited it when it was quite 'new' (1970s) ........ and I was impressed then.   However, now  - I find it looks drab and dated.  On the whole I don't like 'modern' architecture - as I don't like modern art.

However - to use modern materials and techniques (for example in the roof space) - yes by all means.  Lighter, stronger, more fire resistant.  I have no problem with that and would encourage it - in the 'under the surface areas'.  I would not however like to see the overall appearance suddenly be 'modernised'.

I'd like to see it restored by all means, but I think the call to use contemporary materials in those parts which wont be seen is simply unnecessary. To build a structure in oak which is then to be clad in lime, stucco or painted, may be in keeping with the original but is an extravagant vanity. 

In the art world, I sometimes wonder how many so called 'masterpieces' are in fact originals, and know for a fact that some religious paintings by Hieronymus Bosch are mostly modern restorations; most of the original paintwork being gone for some time. It doesn't seem to diminish their value or attraction. 

15 hours ago, bostonmick said:

And not one penny from the Catholic Church funds. They are among the richest businesses in the world but part with very little. 

Which simply put, is how they stay that way?

Personally I find this as disturbingly distasteful as our politicians incessant push to spend billions on HS2 and so called foreign aid, spending fortunes when we still have homeless people and starving children?                      Make it safe and leave it?      

When I look at Churches and Cathedrals I marvel at the remarkable constructions and think only of the Stone Masons and methods involved all that time ago but that's just me.

No offence to anyone and tin hat firmly in place. 

As a very rough comparison, most of HMS Victory in Portsmouth dockyard is not original, it having been rebuilt/maintained over the centuries. The lower masts, for instance, are not wood but metal and go right through the hull to the dry dock beneath. Thus relieving much of the stress and strain on what remains of the original vessel.

You`d think that the Frogs would be able to come up with some sort of similar compromise to save as much as possible of whats left but without simply rebuilding the same fire trap. The "original" has gone, something they`ll begin to realise when the costs of replacing it with original materials start to go through the roof. Mind you. if a delayed Brexit means we have to fork out umpteen gazillion to the EU, it could be us that pays for the rebuild!

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

That is of course what they did in Coventry Cathedral.  But has it been a success?

I visited it when it was quite 'new' (1970s) ........ and I was impressed then.   However, now  - I find it looks drab and dated.  On the whole I don't like 'modern' architecture - as I don't like modern art.

like old and new, some new buildings look awful , but then some old buildings are the same.

Here's Liverpool cathedral, built in 1904, red brick not the best looking building in the world, but the inside is amazing.

And they gazed in awe

10 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

I read recently that scores of catholic churches have been destroyed and vandalised over the past 4 years , but Mr Macron would never admit to anything like that.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1102958/christian-persecution-france-catholic-church-christianity-religion-edouard-phillipe-isis

Church attacks in France in the last 12 months.

D4VhXgsW4AAKwFR.jpg