Emergency kit

PPP

We are planning a few days up in V north Scotland chasing Ptarmigan in October.  What kit do we need to take incase the worst happens and we get stuck on the rough stuff other than:

First aid kit

Torch

Bivvy Bag

Compass

GpS

Phone

Water

Para Cord

Knife

Weatherproof matches

We will only be doing day trips from the Bothy where we have all we need, it’s only if the worst happens..

Suggestions really appreciated

Bottle of whiskey?

actually you only need an AA card, IF there is a phone signal.

Otherwise food,  water and old newspapers (for bedding down)

When I lived in Upstate New York, parts of which were way more remote than the Scottish Highlands,  people carried complete life support systems in their cars in the winter for good reason.  Get cut off in the wrong place and you died, simple as that.

Every year people really did die in snow drifts and by skidding off roads. The bottle of whiskey was your last goodbye.  

Edited by Vince Green

3 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

It may be trying to tell your grandmother how to suck eggs but do not even try to get on the high tops unless the weather forecast is good and gonna stay that way!

Thanks, understood, it’s more incase the forecasters have an off day ...

Waterproof matches probably won't be much good......there ain't nothin up there to burn! Lol!

Oh! And if your team is going under their own steam, and there is no one at Blighty......tell someone you intend going! And where!

Edited by panoma1

I would be tempted with a sleeping bag as well, depends how far you will be pushing yourself a day. Can make the difference between a proper **** night and a bearable one. If not, foil bag. 

Again granny and egg situation but make sure someone knows your plan, rough route and a check in time. If it all goes Pete tong someone coming looking without having to make contact makes all the difference. 

I used to paddle some of the remote Scotish rivers. When someone got trashed shelter was critical to prevent loss of body temperature whilst waiting for rescue. We used to carry a Kissu unit. Big enough for 4 and packs to nothing. Very warm and a life saver and with a candle inside it's almost pleasant. They don't make them anymore but this is very similar. It's very easy to break an ankle or leg and shelter at the point of injury could be very useful. 

Take a whistle.

Spare batteries

one of those rechargeable battery packs to power/charge phone

swiss Army knife /leather man type tool

spare dry socks and gloves

proper waterproofs

kendal mint cake

In a former life I was a Technical mixed gas Diving Instructor 100m dives were the norm.  We always taught "if you need it to complete your task/dive/mission then take at least TWO of XXXX, if it is NOT required then leave it for when you get back"

I assume you will have a local host/guide?  Follow their advice.  Unless you are very fit, you will want to carry as little as possible, and the local 'on the spot' person will know best.  My own advice (based on having done this in the past) would be;

• Make sure people know where you are going, but what route and when you expect to be back
  • Don't take risks with weather
  • Wear good boots that protect ankles
  • Wear kit that will keep you as warm and dry as possible
  • Take local advice on phone coverage.  It can be surprisingly good when high up.  If there is coverage make sure you have a charged phone, a reliable contact number to call and keep that phone dry and safe.
  • Compass and map.

I would not go without a guide on ground you don't know.  If you follow advice, the risks of getting lost/stranded are very low, but the risk of thing like ankle injuries are significant.  The high ground can be very boulder strewn and is risky/slow walking.  Don't be over ambitious over how much you will cover in a day.  Again, local knowledge is key.

5 minutes ago, oowee said:

A golf cart trolly, tent and spare sleeping bags, and one of those massive SAS bergans to carry it all in. 🤣

When stuck in a remote area food and warmth are important things ..trangias ain’t that big n heavy and will work anywhere  an a rat pack  will split down into separate parts of a rucksack 

Here's a list of things in my emergency kit. I take it every time on everything from short day walks to multiple overnighters in the bush. I'm not saying it's definitive (I take other kit) and it might not suit your needs, but it all fits in a small pouch and has bailed me out more than once.

• Codeine 
  • Ibuprofen 
  • Paracetamol
  • Aquatabs
  • Gauze
  • Betadine
  • Medical tape
  • Oatmeal bars
  • Dextrose tablets
  • Headtorch + batteries
  • Matches + firelighter + tinder
  • Foil sleeping bag
  • Spare knife
  • PLB 

As for cooking equipment, things have moved on from mess tins and trangias. Ultralight hiking has become a sport/hobby in it's own right. It's worth having a Google or look on YouTube for some pointers. My entire cooking kit fits in to the size of a large mug and will cook 10 dehydrated meals. 

Brilliant, thanks fellas..

Yes Haemoststic In first aid kit along with meds

Good shout in food..

Those Bothy bags look good in addition to bevy bags so will add one

its un guided but we will never be further than a few hours hike for heated Bothy with water and main kit etc, we have good boots etc and good clothing will take maps, head torches in addition to list above

interesting we are advised mobile reception is superb but will add whistles and flares 

Hoping not to carry too much kit... but don’t want miss obvious though!

1 minute ago, PPP said:

interesting we are advised mobile reception is superb but will add whistles and flares 

Where I go in Scotland, mobile coverage up on the hill is good; mobile does 'line of sight' and most masts are set high up for that reason.

2 minutes ago, PPP said:

Hoping not to carry too much kit

You are wise; I have been for walked up grouse in Scotland every year (with 2 missed years) for over 30 years now.  I have had a few Ptarmigan expeditions in that time.  The less you can carry the better, but there are some essentials.  One of the heaviest items is ammunition, and you never really know how much you will need ....... but don't want to run out.

You will enjoy it.  Our little team is now down to only 2 of us left, and we won't be able to do it for many more seasons (I'm the youngest).  It isn't an old man's sport!