Emergency kit

PPP

I'm with John UK here, I wouldn't be carrying much at all, esp on ptarmagin u'll be covering big distances for very little birds on the higher more rocky tops.

I'd ask for a radio that links to keeper/ghillie/estate contact and also buy some sort of PLB ( or satellite tracker)

Weather can be dodgy at that time off year but not massively so, just apply a bit off common sense and self control. Keep ur eyes on forecasts for wot there worth and if it looks like rolling in make sure u know some easy to follow escape routes to bothy.

Local shepherds, keepers, stalkers etc will be walking similar hills often with just carrying a pair of waterproofs.

On 17/04/2019 at 08:48, scotslad said:

Local shepherds, keepers, stalkers etc will be walking similar hills often with just carrying a pair of waterproofs.

Aye and at home I’d do the same through the beacons but it’s my back yard I know where the bolt holes are safe routes and recognise the changes in the weather.  Others will die of exposure for being ill equipped on the same days. 

Local knowledge trumps most kit but if you don’t have the knowledge go prepared  

Thanks guys, Tick removers form part of my usual shooting kit so that’s covered, same for Binos...

interesting point about satellite trackers/communicators, it’s possible to pick them up for a couple of hundred quid now so that seems money well spent 

On 16/04/2019 at 19:49, JohnfromUK said:

Where I go in Scotland, mobile coverage up on the hill is good; mobile does 'line of sight' and most masts are set high up for that reason.

You are wise; I have been for walked up grouse in Scotland every year (with 2 missed years) for over 30 years now.  I have had a few Ptarmigan expeditions in that time.  The less you can carry the better, but there are some essentials.  One of the heaviest items is ammunition, and you never really know how much you will need ....... but don't want to run out.

You will enjoy it.  Our little team is now down to only 2 of us left, and we won't be able to do it for many more seasons (I'm the youngest).  It isn't an old man's sport!

Thanks John, we’re are looking forward to it... I’m the youngest in the team too but at 42 I’m hoping we’ve got several trips ahead of us!

39 minutes ago, PPP said:

Thanks John, we’re are looking forward to it... I’m the youngest in the team too but at 42 I’m hoping we’ve got several trips ahead of us!

When I was 42 - it wasn't so hard (I think I was 30 the first time I went), but I'm now 62 and of my regular Scotland sporting friends I am the youngest ........ so you should have at least 20 years yet.

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 23:29, Diver One said:

Spare batteries

one of those rechargeable battery packs to power/charge phone

swiss Army knife /leather man type tool

spare dry socks and gloves

proper waterproofs

kendal mint cake

In a former life I was a Technical mixed gas Diving Instructor 100m dives were the norm.  We always taught "if you need it to complete your task/dive/mission then take at least TWO of XXXX, if it is NOT required then leave it for when you get back"

A phone booster charger is a definite as you say, two would be better they are not expensive

Kendall mint cake is absolutely horrible, Maryland Cookies are cheaper and better and if you don't use them you can eat them on journey home. Proper waterproofs are a given in Scotland where ever you go 

When I lived in New York State I learned that an old newspaper was as good as a blanket, people always kept a pile in the back of their car as a matter of course

The most valuable addition would be some tea bags! You're holed up in your shelter with a knackered ankle off your head on codeine what do you need??? A lovely hot cup of tea! Keeping your spirits up is a big part of survival when things go wonky. Breaks, sprains, strains hurt and sap your good humour, the cold gets into your bones and being stranded and isolated can really get you down and a hot cup of sweet tea can work wonders as a morale booster.

12 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Kendall mint cake is absolutely horrible, Maryland Cookies are cheaper and better and if you don't use them you can eat them on journey home. Proper waterproofs are a given in Scotland where ever you go

A Canadian I met kept tins of Dog Food in his Car, You will only eat it if you are starving not snack on it before any emergency then find it gone when you need it.

Thing is if never mount a gun carrying all the gear ur on about carrying.

U will be walking big distances on the hill tops and shots will be very few and far between so if u fluff ur 1 shot cos it knackered or carrying a heavy bag.

Binos are a great shout whoever mentioned them before.

In Oct should be past midge season, same with ticks, and tend not to get many of both on higher ground.

Really study ur OS maps afore u go and suss out potential escape routes ( trees, woods, fence lines, safe burns is no waterfalls etc) that take u down to low ground and back to bothy. And also any dodgy hazards.

Althou that might depend how experienced/common sense u have for being out in hills. 

Do ur homework on the PLBs or sat trackers some are 1 off fees but really only a holy sh#t/SOS button, where some trackers are monthly fees but can link to ur phone to send texts etc

Really with a PLB if something goes wrong big time mountain rescue will be notified within 10 mins and know exactly where u are.

If ur really worried pay the extra and get the keeper out for 1st day

Hey, this is a good call, we can walk the Grouse ourselves as we have 3 decent dogs and mine between us but I think we try to find a guide of PTMG.

The plan is to take the pack to the base of the scree and then stash them only continue with waist packs for gun mounting purposes

That does sound a decent plan, the only drawback being if u have to send someone back for it or can walk in a circle back to it for lunch.

I always find handbags quite comfy to shoot with too, which would give u slightly more room.

Must admit never done the ptarm but I would imagine u want to keep ur dogs right in to heel as the birds will be really wild, seen that with later season walked up grouse or snipe ur far better with ur dogs at heel.

Can u use pointers for ptarm.

Never heard off it and doubt be enough cover for the birds to hold on point . If u can might be worth the extra as cover far more ground.

Also dunno how fit u are but always worth doing a bit extra, far more enjoyable when ur not blowing out ur  ####.

I'm starting a bit of  pre season grouse fitness shortly, hopefully be some grouse about this year.

What kit you take is going to be your call at the end of the day, but if I could offer a couple of observations.  

A bothy bag/kissu is more effective than a bivvy bag, as owee said, put a couple of your mates in there and it really warms up, also, if you hurt yourself you can keep an eye on the injury whilst remaining sheltered - if you're in a bivvy bag you need to get out of it to expose , say an injured leg.

Celox gauze is (in my opinion) better on the hill than granules.  If it's blowing a hoolie your granules can go all over the shop rather than where you want them to be. 

Paracetamol and ibuprofen complement/work well with the analgesia that your typical mountain rescue team carry (unless they have a doctor with them who will be able to administer stronger)  If you have them with you and take them combined at the time of an injury requiring pain relief, it will mean that the good stuff they can give you will be more effective more quickly.  

Aspirin - can make a heck of a difference if someone is having a MI. Everyone over 40 should carry one in their wallet.

Obviously, please bare in mind personal drug allergies etc.

Out in the sticks, phones are for conmmunication, use them for navigation/illumination etc and you'll have a flat battery when you need it the most.

i hope you have a great trip, planning for these forays is half of the fun 👍

been on the hill a time or two travel light travel smart weather can change really fast  really good boots to save your ankles went up with other guys who went to the gym for two months before for fitness they wasted their money grit and determination gets you there thin layers of clothing and a packable waterproof carried a sandwich or fruit with capri sun type drinks as a plastic bag and a straw  to carry back  a foil blanket and some chocolate in an emergency you will be with a few others inc keeper so will be safe enjoy the day take a camera if the weather is clear stunning views when you stop for lunch sit in the wind or the midges will eat you alive despite deet when you sweat it washes off gets in your eyes etc spray on your clothes hat etc have fun travel light or you will need a hill pony to carry everything  

please wear a tie in respect of  the quarry you are about to take regardless of anything else ,   can be used repair a game bag strap   knotted to make a game carrier   tourniquet  or hold your trousers up if your belt breaks 😂 so you can get off the hill under your own steam  , had to use a tie in the past when I ripped a growing muscle on a peat hag and  after about a half hour could not lift my leg  tied around boot lift and go , got me off the hill hurt like hell for weeks after 

Edited by Saltings